Alpha Legion Colour Schemes?

I agree I am not a fan of the AL shoulder pads. I like the look of the Raven Guard ones, they look like they are just raised off the surface and not sticking out. Makes sense for a legion who excel in recognisance. The AL ones just stick out far too much.

Don't forget that on getting an etched brass and transfer sheet will probably save you more money to equip two squads of 15 (the FW bundle) and make them more individual as well.

I do love their Rhino and LR plates though. Would look sick on those and other tanks where you can fit them in.

Edited by ak1508

I like the rhino and LR plates, they are the symbols I would like to see on etched brass or transfers.

Some tanks dont actually have the parts where you can fit the plate in, which is where etched brass, trasfer sheet or a glyph might go in handy. And let's be honest - variety does add more art to the collection!

It certinally does. Although sculpting a chained A isn't that difficult. Hydra's on the other hand...

If it's a one off thing and the A with a chain - probably aint too hard, but doing them as a lot might be a bit tricky if you want to keep to the same shape and size. And hydra is definitely gonna be too difficult to do properly, so it matches the exact style.

• 6 months later...

Interested to know why some people are painting they're marines with a greeny blue colour. This is how they look on forgeworld as well. Except in the books they are a blue colour. Nowhere can I find them as a metallic green/blue.

"... the Alpha Legion has been witnessed in liveries of pale grey, gleaming steel, veridian, dull bronze, sable, indigo, amaranth and azure blue -- both in main and in combination." HH3, p. 91

The Alpha Legion uses just about any color and insignia that suits their purposes. Greens, blues, metallics, even red.

~K

Threw together a couple of rough test models; I brushed the roughest coat ever of Tamiya Clear Green & Blue over a Runefang Steel base. I've never used Tamiya paints before so they applied differently to how I'd expected; will need to work with them a bit more to refine the mix.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/30k%20-%20Alpha%20Legion/DSC_0115_zpsjxjvlbwh.jpg

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/30k%20-%20Alpha%20Legion/DSC_0117_zps0z625u5y.jpg

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/30k%20-%20Alpha%20Legion/DSC_0114_zpscaraf3se.jpg

I like the way the weathering looks on your miniature Hellath, I'm still not 100% convinced by my own attempts with metallic on metallic weathering.

I have also refined my method somewhat, still using the basic guide with the Tamiya Colours but slightly darker/bluer/defined compared to before.

Alpha-Phi-003.jpg

I like the way the weathering looks on your miniature Hellath, I'm still not 100% convinced by my own attempts with metallic on metallic weathering.

Thanks Leoparden! It's funny, because I have been following your work on Instagram for some time, and are a big fan of your painting scheme. In all honesty, your miniatures are the main inspiration for my Alpha Legion :)

I use a lot of Tamiya clear glazes too. The pictures I have uploaded are really bad, but there's actually a shade transition between blue-green in the mini. I hope to take proper pictures soon.

I love that Banner thing! i may have to steal that.

I am still changing my recipe as well based on unit type. And like leo said metallic and metallic weathering can get very tricky. These guys have my minimal but now they look too clean so I'm kinda stuck. Any suggestions??

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy123/wareagle411/B93BF696-F489-4141-9EC3-8E793494CEB3_zpsjolptfb0.jpg

And here's one up close

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy123/wareagle411/67B6219F-486F-4F5D-B3C4-C44B4C9D4807_zpsy2gq4pnr.jpg

Edited by betrayer41

<Image snipped>

I have also refined my method somewhat, still using the basic guide with the Tamiya Colours but slightly darker/bluer/defined compared to before.

Where is this banner piece from?

I am still changing my recipe as well based on unit type. And like leo said metallic and metallic weathering can get very tricky. These guys have my minimal but now they look too clean so I'm kinda stuck. Any suggestions??

And here's one up close

<Images snipped>

That squad looks great! Are the torsos from Sevrin Loth's honour guard?

<Image snipped>

And here's one up close

<Images snipped>

That squad looks great! Are the torsos from Sevrin Loth's honour guard?

Thank you and yes it is with Kromlech legs and eldar blades haha

Thanks Leoparden! It's funny, because I have been following your work on Instagram for some time, and are a big fan of your painting scheme. In all honesty, your miniatures are the main inspiration for my Alpha Legion :smile.:

I use a lot of Tamiya clear glazes too. The pictures I have uploaded are really bad, but there's actually a shade transition between blue-green in the mini. I hope to take proper pictures soon.

Always gives me angst to hear, I seldom get things done anymore so I have little to upload. Glad to inspire though.

It's really hard to take good photos of the Tamiya scheme, a lot of the color shift effect is lost in the photos as well as some of the metallic feel. Makes a big difference which camera I use I've noticed. On my Night Lords I can take pretty accurate pictures with the mobile but the Alphas pretty much require the DSLR to pop.

[...]

I would most likely just go with snow dust on the lower portions of the leg armour and feet, I think that would seal the deal on those Astartes tbh.

Banner piece is from the Dark Elf Corsair kit, one of their banner tops, slightly modified to fit for my use (ie to be placed on top of a piece of brass rod).