Archangel's Cybernetic Astartes - ETL III Project

1/332014.M3 GMT

I have made my ETL III vow, so I decided to start a WIP thread to keep myself motivated.

With all of the FW's Horus Heresy goodness, I decided to start a legion. My main problem was deciding on one. I actually didn't want to pick the ones used during Isstvan, but I was getting tired of waiting for FW Dark Angels to be released. I thought a DIY was out of the question, even if it's been stated how there were chapters among the Legions using their own colours and heraldry.

I thought of doing a Mechanicum force and ally my Legion to it later, but I really wanted to start a Legion. Then it occurred to me: Why not do both! The Legio Cybernetica is infamously known for its robotic creations, so why not take a cohort focused on an experimental idea: Robot Space Marines. It may have been considered during this timeframe. I'm not talking heretical AI brains, just modified, programmable cyber-marines. Each squad's sergeant would be an equally modified mech-adept programmer who oversees the command of his squad.

They will follow the Crusading Space Marine Legion rules. I could play them as a Legion in almost any of the HH book scenarios, as Mechanicum were present almost everywhere. It even works for playing them from the Dark Mechanicus. As for colours, I could keep them straight Mechanicum, but seeing the Imperial Knight colours I may borrow something from them.

Yes, it is my DIY "counts-as" Space Marine Legion. Using Legion models.

Here's what I have to begin with...

med_gallery_8429_9561_438939.jpg

2 Mk II Praetors

10 Mk II Legion Space Marines

10 Mk III Legion Space Marines

10 Mk IV Legion Space Marines

10 Mk V Legion Space Marines

10 Mk VI Legion Space Marines

100 Adeptus Mechanicum shoulder pads

100 Adeptus Mechanicum cog-skull torsos

100 Dark Angel Ravenwing techmarine helmets (they look suitable robotic)

100 Dark Angel single sword shoulder pads

100 Assault Crossed Sword shoulder pads (the old metal ones)

10 bolters - phobos pattern

10 bolters - umbra pattern

10 volkite calivers

5 lascannons

5 plasma cannons

... and some more bitz coming from FW to be added later.

My first ETL III Vow is to build an 800 point force consisting of:

One Legion Praetor with artificer armour, paragon blade, archaeotech pistol (145)
Two 10-strong Legion Tactical Squads with bolters (2x150=300)
One 5-strong Legion Tactical Support Squad with volkite calivers (120)
One 5-strong Heavy Support Squad with lascannons (235)

Wish me luck! Comments & criticisms welcome.

Thanks,

A.

1/354014.M3 GMT

...and so it begins...

Here's the 2 tactical and 1 tactical support squads.

gallery_8429_9561_138593.jpg

This is my first test assembly to see how the bitz look together. The question is: to backpack or not to backpack. They're supposed to be robotic marines. Using the mechanicus backs, it interferes with using the space marine back packs. What do you think?

gallery_8429_9561_134816.jpg

Now for the legio cyber-sergeants/programmers, using the DA hooded heads is one possibility. How do you think the robed legs look with the armour toros?

gallery_8429_9561_299059.jpg

That's all for now.

Test Robo-marine looks good. I think more bionics are needed though - have you thought about looking into the FW character conversion set, and the GW and FW Iron Hands sets? They may make it more obvious that they are robots and not marines.

As for the backpacks, something about them not having backpacks seems "off" to me. Have you considered using one of the Techmarine backpacks (classic model with servo arm and "cables" replacing the vents) in place of a regular backpack? These robotic suits have got to need vast amounts of power and disperse lots of heat.

Basically, if you think you can justify them not having a backpack, then it's fair game. Otherwise, look into obviously-Mechanicus alternatives.

Also, the Cyber-Sergeants look good with the hoods, but not all of them need to have hoods as the robes will do most of the job.

Looking great so far, keep it up! :D

1/356014.M3 GMT

I think not having the backpacks makes it clear that these are not your standard marines.

And the counts-as sgts look awesome.

A nice point. They do not need life support, but it does also function as a power pack.

Thanks, I like using the robes, although the hoods may be used for "veteran" programmers.

Test Robo-marine looks good. I think more bionics are needed though - have you thought about looking into the FW character conversion set, and the GW and FW Iron Hands sets? They may make it more obvious that they are robots and not marines.

As for the backpacks, something about them not having backpacks seems "off" to me. Have you considered using one of the Techmarine backpacks (classic model with servo arm and "cables" replacing the vents) in place of a regular backpack? These robotic suits have got to need vast amounts of power and disperse lots of heat.

Basically, if you think you can justify them not having a backpack, then it's fair game. Otherwise, look into obviously-Mechanicus alternatives.

Also, the Cyber-Sergeants look good with the hoods, but not all of them need to have hoods as the robes will do most of the job.

Looking great so far, keep it up! biggrin.png

I have thought of the FW and GW "iron hands" conversion kits. Not sure if I want to halt production during the ETL and wait for more orders. However, since my squads are at minimum 5 to 10-sizes, I could expand the squads later and incorporate more bionics/robotics bitz and blend them into for full 20-size squads. I can't use the increased squad units for ETL, but they would certainly be useful later on in gameplay.

The techmarine bitz are a great idea. I miss the ol' GW bitz catalogs, otherwise my sergeants would be the bulkier techmarines from the Thunder Cannon kit or the techmarine with servitors kit. Maybe I can kitbash a simpler vent-pack for each unit. The sgt/programmers will need something to show they are in direct link with their unit. Maybe something similar to the vox bitz.

Thanks for the comments & inspiration.

This is a very cool idea you are running with, these guys seem like they could be the mass produced version of Mechanicum Thallax, I like it.

While it might be a bit late to make the suggestion, DIY Legions aren't just limited to offshoot chapters of the Main 18 legions. You also have the blank canvas of the II and XI Legion to create your own Heroic force of the GC and Heresy.

Either way, I love seeing nontraditional Legion forces.

1/357014.M3 GMT

This is a very cool idea you are running with, these guys seem like they could be the mass produced version of Mechanicum Thallax, I like it.

While it might be a bit late to make the suggestion, DIY Legions aren't just limited to offshoot chapters of the Main 18 legions. You also have the blank canvas of the II and XI Legion to create your own Heroic force of the GC and Heresy.

Either way, I love seeing nontraditional Legion forces.

Thanks. I figured the Legio Cybernetica may have experimented with this project during the Heresy. Especially after the Schism of Mars.

It is funny you should mention the "Lost & Forgotten" Legions. After seeing your Project II Legion, I was thinking of making this an XI Legion.

The rough outline was basically the XI Primarch did not believe that normal humans were worthy to receive his geneseed. It was too great a gift for them. Besides, why waste time culling through receptive initiates to accept the geneseed when the XI Primarch could design more efficient artificial warriors. These warriors could be quickly and easily replaced. He brutally used his Legion XI, the "Archangels", letting them take on a great number of casualties so the Legion's numbers began to dwindle. Secretly, he implemented the cybernetic-marines into his Legion.  When the Emperor found out what he was up to, well... it was not taken very well.

After struggling with picking a Legion, a DIY seemed the best alternative.

On the power issue, they could have a power plant powerful enough contained within their armour. The external power plant is actually a big weakness of marines (relatively).

Very true. Not to mention the Legio Cybernetica may not be concerned with their creations if they could be easily replaced. Robots in the ol' Rogue Trader days had their own glitches with durability and programmability. If they exploded on the field, hopefully it was while they were in contact with the enemy.

The rough outline was basically the XI Primarch did not believe that normal humans were worthy to receive his geneseed. It was too great a gift for them. Besides, why waste time culling through receptive initiates to accept the geneseed when the XI Primarch could design more efficient artificial warriors. These warriors could be quickly and easily replaced. He brutally used his Legion XI, the "Archangels", letting them take on a great number of casualties so the Legion's numbers began to dwindle. Secretly, he implemented the cybernetic-marines into his Legion.  When the Emperor found out what he was up to, well... it was not taken very well.

This sounds very cool, it seems like they would be a good dark foil to the Iron Hands and Ferrus Manus. It really fits with the setting in that the imperium has a such a disgust for artificial, maybe this "lost Legion" could be a reason for that disgust.

Very unique Idea.

1/359014.M3 GMT

The rough outline was basically the XI Primarch did not believe that normal humans were worthy to receive his geneseed. It was too great a gift for them. Besides, why waste time culling through receptive initiates to accept the geneseed when the XI Primarch could design more efficient artificial warriors. These warriors could be quickly and easily replaced. He brutally used his Legion XI, the "Archangels", letting them take on a great number of casualties so the Legion's numbers began to dwindle. Secretly, he implemented the cybernetic-marines into his Legion. When the Emperor found out what he was up to, well... it was not taken very well.

This sounds very cool, it seems like they would be a good dark foil to the Iron Hands and Ferrus Manus. It really fits with the setting in that the imperium has a such a disgust for artificial, maybe this "lost Legion" could be a reason for that disgust.

Very unique Idea.

Thanks. Maybe I will leave the door open for this possibility. Viola, a new chapter symbol...

med_gallery_8429_9561_291558.jpg

... a single sword! The mechanicus symbol is now on the "unit" shoulder pad.

Why use unit markings for robots when they can be reprogrammed to be any type squad? As a cybernetic legion, it is similar to the Titanicus Sword symbol, so it can fit in anywhere within the Mechanicum. Plus, as a "lost" chapter it is a generic warlike symbol not used by any other First Legion. The Dark Angels' symbol is close, so I figured I would nix the wings.

They could be the "Holy Avengers", an old Dungeons & Dragons reference to a Paladin's honoured weapon. There could be an ironic twist here of the Holy Avengers being a soulless group of robots dispensing the Emperor's justice. Or maybe the Stormblades, mixing Michael Moorcock's soul-stealing weapons for the Eternal Champion Elric: Stormbringer and Mournblade. The possibilities are endless.

Hmm, I'd be almost tempted to use the old metal crossed-swords assault pad that matches the Dark Angels' successor symbol for the Guardians of the Covenant. Could the Dark Angels have played a part in their demise? What is this Covenant the Dark Angels are "Guardians" of? Is it some type of Techmarine Covenant resulting from the banishment of this cybernetic legion?

Curiouser and curiouser...

Hmm. Interesting ideas.

If you're now going with one of the "Lost Legions", a sword should be fine for a Legion symbol, if a bit generic, imho. Got me thinking about names, too. Advocators or [something] Crusaders might be good choices, given the almost-paradoxical nature you're going for. Immortal Crusaders / Eternal Advocators perhaps, or maybe something referring to the bionics, etc.? Like the Steel Children or Crusaders of Iron or something along those lines.

Anyway, depending on whether you're going down the lost legion route or the Mechanicum robo-astartes route, the Mechanicus shoulder pad may have to be nixed in favour of something else. Even though the Legion would be employing battle AI's in place of the majority of the Legion's personnel, they have to outwardly look like any other Legion, hence the relevant squad symbols would need to be retained to maintain the ruse in front of the Emperor and the other Primarchs.

I like how this is slowly developing into what the Iron Hands are steps away from becoming and, as Athrawes mentioned, presenting itself as the dark foil to Ferrus Manus (and potentially Perturabo and his Iron Warriors).

Good progress.

1/361014.M3 GMT

@Dragonkin Arenis: ...but I have a lot of mechanicus pads to use! XI Legion or Cybernetica, there really isn't a Codex Astartes yet mandating unit markings. Why tell the enemy what is coming at them?

Originally planning them as Automatus Astartes, my intention was to do rank and file, unit-by-unit marked squads. Then seeing how some Adeptus Houses use heraldry for their sects and also considering them as a "lost" legion in need of a badge, I believe I am going to forego the unit markings for now. Maybe if I do decide on the legion/chapter route, I will use the unit markings for the still living members of the army. Hmm, could make for interesting fluff with the legionnaires getting robotic reinforcements and having to fight side-by-side with them.

For now, I am still going forward with the Legio Cybernetica idea. Afterall, I also have some Mechanicum units to build to ally with these guys.

Thanks again for the input!

1/361014.M3 GMT

@ TJWyrm & Dragonkin Arenis:  Hmm, now that's a subtle option. I like it.

It may be sort of a precursor to company colours, i.e.:

White - Veteran TAC (EL)

Yellow - Tactical (TR)

Red - Tactical-Support (TR)

Green - Despoiler (TR)

Black - Breacher Siege (TR)

Orange - Outrider/Jetbike (FA)

Purple - Land Speeder (FA)

Grey - Assault (TR)

Blue - Heavy Support (HS)

------ - Reconnaissance (TR)

Skull/Cog/Pad/Trim = to be decided upon painting!

Thanks again! I appreciate the comments.

Archived