MrBill's Ravenwing (and friends) WIP

Mr Bill

i have been trying to make sure every squad has a mix of the old and new style raven flags as well.  I think having the mix of flags all in the same unit tied together with color and insignia give the force a much older feel.  Almost as if the adeptus mechanicus has to work hard to field enough bikes for everyone to get one and are forced to dip into B and C stock and patch them together to keep the Ravenwing in flight.  

I like your idea of the mix in your squads. I run with the same idea in my army already old and new together. My Biker Techmarine has one of the oldest bikes, he is a Biker Mechanic after all. He would have a classic custom ride.

• 2 months later...

Your models look so evil and threathening with all those skulls crushed underneath tyres.

I like those bikes you got for Black Knights

Thanks!  When I approached the DA I was struck by their callous disregard for everything other than protecting their secret and avenging the fallen.  I thought the skull bases did a good job of showing that they would merrily kill countless humans and ride over their bodies if it furthered their interests. 

I also try to make sure every base has at least one patch of wildflowers.  I think it makes the fields full of skulls look even more creepy when they have spring flowers blooming among them. 

• 1 month later...

The air force got nixed. I am trying to pump the force up to 2,000 points quick for another tourney coming soon. Here are a 2nd RCS, decked out Interrogator Chappy, squad of Black Knights, a pair of RAS with dual plasma guns and a pair of attack bikes with MMs. Time to start painting smile.png

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff131/mrbill2u/Ravenwing_zpsef7bc462.jpg

I figured I may as well do a layer-by-layer progress series since this will be like half of my army in one shot.  This is the beginning of my Ravenwing scheme.  Primed black then coated with VMA metallic black.  I cheat with my blacks a ton by using this metallic black rather than doing full black layering.  

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff131/mrbill2u/RavenwingProgress1_zpsbc7ca07e.jpg

I am about a third of the way through the block color layer on the bikes.  This morning I decided to prep the bases.  These are the Secret Weapon Miniatures Bone Fields bases.  I gave them a quick edge file then lined them up in my custom paint booth (cheap cake decorating turntable in a cardboard box) and primed them brown.  Once the dried I shot a coat of thinned VMA sand(ivory) from about 20-30 degrees up as I spun it making sure to never shoot straight down.  I then went over it with another coat of the same color but from a touch higher angle and just doing an 80% random cover of each base without the turntable spinning to lighten the shadows and give them some bigger swaths of something visually interesting. 

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff131/mrbill2u/RavenwingProgress2_zps218ee18d.jpg

I finally got the rough block coloring done.  For this step I rough in metallics and warm colors prior to the ink wash.  Cool colors, highlights and light sources get painted on after the wash.  This layer consisted of VMA copper, chrome, red, dunkelgelb and sand.  The dunkelgelb and sand patches were undercoated with brown to give them a chance over the black.  

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff131/mrbill2u/RavenwingProgress3_zps86d6a498.jpg

...and yes, I plan on fielding the tooled out interrogator chaplain!! I know librarians are a better option and that chaplains have no place in 7th, but I am putting that interrogator chappy up front on a bike with the mace of redemption, displacer field, melta bombs, auspex and a full RWCS and I will charge him straight into anything. The rest of my army can play the Ravenwing keep away game, but his squad is going for broke msn-wink.gif I may even assign a squad of Deathwing Terminators to be his squad's personal close fire support.

I know librarians are a better option and that chaplains have no place in 7th, [...]

Remember the rule of cool though - and the fact that Interrogator-Chaplains are a very fluffy option for DA. So I hope he does you proud.

Cheers

I

...and yes, I plan on fielding the tooled out interrogator chaplain!!  I know librarians are a better option and that chaplains have no place in 7th, .....

I couldn't agree more but I once had 1250 pts game vs chaos marines and since I painted my Seraphicus quite nice I decided to field him instead of Libby, I gave him Mace of Redemption and to my suprise he has slain daemon!

Chaplain goes extremely well with bolt pistol and this mace. concussion means you will be striking first and that enemy will be blinded turn 2 onward! This WS9 S6 AP2 fearsome deamon struggled to wound ordinary Terminator!

...and these models now get to take their place among the Ravenwing.  My Ravenwing so far is

Sammael & RWCS

Interrogator Chaplain & RWCS

1st Black Knights (5 Knights and a huntmaster)

5th RAS (full squad with 2 melta guns, Attack bike with MM and speeder with TML)

7th RAS (min squad with 2x plasma, melta bombs on the sarge and an attack bike with MM)

8th RAS (min squad with 2x plasma, attack bike with MM)

If I tack in the DV Deathwing Terminator squad I finally have over 2K painted.  Wheeeee  :D

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff131/mrbill2u/RavenWing2K_zpsb581ade6.jpg

Archived