Officer of the Fleet versus Comms Relay

Kierdale

With the changes to the OoF in the 6th edition codex (either assisting your own reserves or hindering the enemy's...on a successful Ld test) which do you see as more effective/valuable: an OoF or a comms relay in some kind of fortification (particularly considering they are the same cost)?

Obviously if you don't have any form of fortification them the officer is your only go-to for Reserves assistance, but I know a lot of IG players take an Aegis for its cheap cover saves...in which case the comm relay offers a solid, reliable bonus to your own Reserve rolls...but no chance to mess with the OpFor's...

Thoughts?

I like the flexibility of the OoF.  Actually, I'd like to combine that with the "reroll reserves" ability of the C:MT air assault formation...The option to reroll, combined with the option to take a +1 on the roll, it's as flexible as it gets...it's almost automatic to get the air cav on turn two if you want it, and if you don't for whatever reason, you use the reroll to stay off the board, instead.

I have found the OOF in the 3 games I have played him in very useful and still adaptable.

Went second in two of the games and in my turn 1 chose to make his rolls worse as his reserves would turn up before mine and hinder his reserve rolls. Worked in both games too before boosting mine so they did arrive and then gave me unit overload and effective shooting from the off.

Officer any day of the week. He can put a dent in the enemies reserves, he is a character model so he can challenge to keep Commander alive, he is an extra body to look out sir, he is cheap compared to the relay which comes with a tax (depends if you usually play aegis, but even then quad gun is better), he is flexible, you can make an awesome conversion. Auto-include in 90% of my lists.

Very interesting to see the OotF is so popular. I must admit I've never fielded one and thus bow to your experience.

Will have to make one.

The idea of using him on Turn One to disrupt your opponent's Turn Two reserves is excellent.

It is a shame that reserves are easier to call now than in other editions but it is still very useful to make it a bit harder for your opponent than for you. This ability can potentially be very powerful and a game changer apart from the additional benefits to attach another character to a small, fragile, unit. And for only 25 points it is a bargain in my eyes.... If you substract the actual points value of the model (10 points my guess) you are only paying around 15 points for this ability.

he looks suitably disdainful for being on terra firma :P

Indeed he does!

I might get the set of advisors, though I already have a MoO of my own (and if I wanted another I'd be tempted to use the FW Titan crew: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Titans/TITAN_CREW_ON_FOOT.html). Still, I think you've all convinced me...

Oh, and he's only 20 points!

BTW, does the OotF uses the commanding officer's Ld when testing for using his rules or his unmodified Ld (7)?

I guess he can as long as the officer is still alive but I wanted to confirm.

Edit - grammar

Archived