JGeils81 WIP

JGeils81

Continuing with same gallery for my WIP.

Am I thinning my paints too much?  First termie has like 7 coats of ivory, second has like 5...taking a long time

and that lazy ass tactical squad, I leave them unattended for weeks and they still haven't cleaned themselves.

Update

Too a Thin?

Thin

I've never used an airbrush but it looks great to me. How many coats are recommended and are you following a post about how to paint them? I am curious because I only spray can a single coat of primer then brush on one coat of basecoat. I think your models are coming along great.

No airbrush, I sprayed them with tamiya white, and have been brushing on thinned coats of "ivory" ever since lol. Going to do this ETL for practice, then probably start my own successor chapter. Made bases for my bikes and first tac squad, haven't finished them yet though. My first baby interrupted my progress, 2 months old now. Going to teach him to paint, and be loyal to the emperor!

They look ok to me. In the first 3months after my little girl was born I managed to convert and paint 2 DV bikers not 2 squads 2 guys so you are doing quite well in the next 3 months I painted a land raider. I am contemplating pledging a 5 man command squad for the ETL when I get back from holiday but I don't know if I'll have time to paint 5 whole marines.

How many coats is an interesting question. Before the foundation paints came along I use to spray white and then basecoat with a pale brown tone before gradually layering up to white. It took AGES. However, since the advent of the foundation paints (base paints as they are now) I have used a black undercoat. I would strongly suggest using the foundation paints for DW as they can save a lot of time.

If it helps, my method is to spray black, then use two thinned coats of dheneb stone as the basecoat before using a thick wash of gryphonne sepia then dheneb stone mixed with bleached bone as a layer, a layer of bleached bone and then a couple of layers of bleached bone/white (with progressively more white in) before going to pure white.

This was my test mini:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/Gillyfish2010/DSCF3385.jpg

I think he came out okay. I hope that helps. :)

well for a test mini he looks pretty awesome. I will definitely change the method on any future deathwing terminators, but I think its too late to start again on these unless I just strip all the paint off and start over....which I kinda dont want to do right now...   The GW names for paint always throw me off because I dont have alot of them yet, only a few like leadblecher, abaddon black, nuln oil, ceramite white, and caliban green I think... 

Thanks for the tips though!

Archived