Hey guys,

so I'm building a squad of tactical marines and to finish it off I need some heavy weapons- in my codex it says i can use a lascannon, multi-melta, or heavy bolted. I'm pretty sure I want the multi-melta, however I don't see the point in buying a single marine with multi-melta for $14, when a devastor squad costs $35. Any alternative sets that contain multi-meltas?

Hey guys,

so I'm building a squad of tactical marines and to finish it off I need some heavy weapons- in my codex it says i can use a lascannon, multi-melta, or heavy bolted. I'm pretty sure I want the multi-melta, however I don't see the point in buying a single marine with multi-melta for $14, when a devastor squad costs $35. Any alternative sets that contain multi-meltas?

Sadly not as far as kits go no. Best option I can offer is hit up Ebay and check oh Hoard 'o Bits, or Bits World. They usually have the Devastator Multimelta sets for about $5 each.

It depends entirely on the battlefield role you want the squad to specialize in really.  If it's a mobile squad, a multi-melta provides tank busting at shorter ranges.  At longer range, lascannons and missile launchers shine.  Plasma cannons are good for rear/light armor, or dealing with 2+ saves-- but the chance to blow up makes them a risky investment for some.  Have you considered magnets so you can swap out the heavy weapons as needed?

Landspeeders come with multimeltas that are the right size for a marine to hold, but require some converting to add the power cables and backpack which it does not include. Of course this all depends on if you want a landspeeder for your army.

I would say unless you're really set against the idea, just go buy a dev box. Not only do you get that Multi-melta, but you get a full squad (plus 1 if you have an extra torso, say from the assault squad kit) a bunch of heavy weps, and bitz you'd otherwise not really have access to.

You could buy the various MM bits off ebay (horde'obits, blackdagger games, etc) and do some converting. 

I prefer the Missile Launcher in Tac squads.  You can snap fire the krak missile when you move, and tac squads seem to move a lot

Yeah, most bitz sites should have a MM somewhere. Then again, they're usually about £5 in the UK, and the devastator kit is £20, so there's very little point in buying single MMs. Unless you can find a really well-priced one, honestly, your best bet is to go for a devastator kit and either stockpile the other heavy weapons, build a dev squad, or make extra heavy weapon marines to swap into your tac squads if you feel like running something different.

Archived