It looks epic, genuinely epic - like walking on the moon with no oxygen epic.

However, without the main gun - a la the first photos - it looks like a mobile throne and that is also cool.

Even Horus sometimes just needs to show how's boss, that's when he takes off the main gun and drives around his Mobile Pimp-Throne msn-wink.gif

For the people whom are interrested, the entire army is up HERE.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag82/Maarten_Van_Waesberge/Warhammer/Luna%20Wolves/IMG_4332_zpsd736783b.jpg

I sense a 'new favorite army of all freaking time' coming for me. Breathtaking work, the attention to detail is unreal. I must have a super-heavy one day. This is what FW dreamt of when creating the Glaive.

My humble praise. :P

I sense a 'new favorite army of all freaking time' coming for me. Breathtaking work, the attention to detail is unreal. I must have a super-heavy one day. This is what FW dreamt of when creating the Glaive.

My humble praise. tongue.png

Thanx man :) I appreciate it :)

Awesome work, but looking at the last 'on display' pic, I can't help but think that with the tracks uncovered like that, the whole front of the tank would be covered in mud that was thrown up by the tracks.

Hmm, you make a good point! I'll keep that in mind for my next project, but for this one we'll just assume that the Glaive is driving super slowly ph34r.png

It's not a criticism of your work at all! Sorry if it came across like that. It's just that sometimes I can't switch my brain off from thinking about the reality of fantastical toy soldier models. Track and mud guards exist on real tanks for a reason.

Also, I hate the FW tracks on all of the marine Heresy vehicles.

It's not a criticism of your work at all! Sorry if it came across like that. It's just that sometimes I can't switch my brain off from thinking about the reality of fantastical toy soldier models. Track and mud guards exist on real tanks for a reason.

Also, I hate the FW tracks on all of the marine Heresy vehicles.

No worries! :D Didn't feel like critisism to me either :) You actually do have a valid point, so I was serious about taking that into consideration for further tanks :)

Hmm, yeh, the FW tracks are a bit different, I quite like them though :) Gives the tank a bit more Sci-Fi feeling.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag82/Maarten_Van_Waesberge/Warhammer/Luna%20Wolves/Glaive/34334285-79ee-4651-9c05-644445cf5206_zps9ffb4e4e.jpg

great work all round and fantastic to see the before and after shots(man that rusty undercoat looks so realistic)

i get the feeling the crack in this picture would look awesome with rust along its edges

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag82/Maarten_Van_Waesberge/Warhammer/Luna%20Wolves/Glaive/34334285-79ee-4651-9c05-644445cf5206_zps9ffb4e4e.jpg

great work all round and fantastic to see the before and after shots(man that rusty undercoat looks so realistic)

i get the feeling the crack in this picture would look awesome with rust along its edges

Excellent idea! I'll definately add some rust along the edges! Thanx for the idea, Mr Claw :D

Apologies if you've already mentioned it - do you use the same brown/rust base for all your vehicles? I'm thinking the Talon and Eagle in your Hall post.

Hi! 

I did not mention it :) I believe the Talon and Eagle are not painted this way, but sponged up instead. For the white at least...

The dark grey parts in the front and back, however, are used with the same technique (=purity seal -> hairspray -> Warm water)

That's some of the best weathering I've seen on FW stuff. The hairspray chipping is so spot on it's not even funny. Nailed it. 

And that streaking... *drool...* Were you using oil paints or pigments for the streaking? Mind spilling the beans on that technique? 

I'll be brutally honest, because I know you'll be disappointed if I'm not. Nobody worry though, we've known each other for ages so while it may look like I'm being overly critical, I'm actually just being terse as RSI already knows that I love his work.

The tracks aren't working for me, they just look rusty and all I can imagine when I see them is that they're gonna snap. I'm pretty sure your thinking something similar from what you said earlier though. The problem I think is two fold. Firstly, the mud pigment your using is very close to rust. I don't know if that's the flash artificially brightening it and there's more contrast under natural light, but at least on the pictures it's hard to differentiate between mud and rust. I've never really noticed on your other vehicles, I'd hazard a guess that because the tracks on the Glaive are so substantial compared to the tracks on lesser vehicles, it becomes more apparent.

The second thing is that there is none of the track showing, which when combined with the rust and mud not really contrasting with each other, further emphasises the totally rusted look. If you look at the Renegade Medusa in the IA Masterclass book, it's purposely weathered to look rusty and beat up and it's tracks look in better condition than your Glaive. Those Luna Techmarines have gotta be peeved at that tongue.png.

Rust is rust, so you can't really change that colour and the mud is (if I recall correctly) the same tone as used on the other Luna's, so changing that to give more contrast is out of the question as well. But how about toning the rust/mud down a little and having a bit more of the track metal showing? I'd probably just start with something light, maybe edge the tracks in places with a pencil and then take it from there, adding more metal if needed.

Also, the Luna Wolf symbol looks way too clean, it needs some scratches and a bit of dirt to get it looking as battle worn as the rest of the tank.

Apart from that everything is looking grand, up to the usual standard smile.png.

Of course, maybe you've got all that done before you took it to Rotterdam and it's just the WIP pics don't show it, if so just ignore what I sad.

Also, if your around on facebook later, your gonna be bombarded with questions about airbrush techniques - consider this fair warning tongue.png.

That's some of the best weathering I've seen on FW stuff. The hairspray chipping is so spot on it's not even funny. Nailed it.

And that streaking... *drool...* Were you using oil paints or pigments for the streaking? Mind spilling the beans on that technique?

He actually mentioned it in a previous comment. It's done with an oil paint mixed with white spirit (mineral spirit/turpentine in other countries). Windsor and Newton Burnt Umber to be precise (I use the same paint for exactly the same thing). The nice thing about oil paints for stuff like this is that they take a while to dry so you can spend some time manipulating the paint and getting some really awesome streak effects, You can do oil running from moving parts, dust/mud streaks around the bottom of the vehicle and rust streaks coming from rivets just by using slightly different colours or mixing with other paints/pigments. The downside to oil paints is that they require a bit more cleaning than acrylics. Just swishing the brush in water afterwards won't do it and personally I like to use old brushes as the cleaners for oil paints are a bit harsher than those used for acrylics.

I'll be brutally honest, because I know you'll be disappointed if I'm not. Nobody worry though, we've known each other for ages so while it may look like I'm being overly critical, I'm actually just being terse as RSI already knows that I love his work.

The tracks aren't working for me, they just look rusty and all I can imagine when I see them is that they're gonna snap. I'm pretty sure your thinking something similar from what you said earlier though. The problem I think is two fold. Firstly, the mud pigment your using is very close to rust. I don't know if that's the flash artificially brightening it and there's more contrast under natural light, but at least on the pictures it's hard to differentiate between mud and rust. I've never really noticed on your other vehicles, I'd hazard a guess that because the tracks on the Glaive are so substantial compared to the tracks on lesser vehicles, it becomes more apparent.

The second thing is that there is none of the track showing, which when combined with the rust and mud not really contrasting with each other, further emphasises the totally rusted look. If you look at the Renegade Medusa in the IA Masterclass book, it's purposely weathered to look rusty and beat up and it's tracks look in better condition than your Glaive. Those Luna Techmarines have gotta be peeved at that :P.

Rust is rust, so you can't really change that colour and the mud is (if I recall correctly) the same tone as used on the other Luna's, so changing that to give more contrast is out of the question as well. But how about toning the rust/mud down a little and having a bit more of the track metal showing? I'd probably just start with something light, maybe edge the tracks in places with a pencil and then take it from there, adding more metal if needed.

Also, the Luna Wolf symbol looks way too clean, it needs some scratches and a bit of dirt to get it looking as battle worn as the rest of the tank.

Apart from that everything is looking grand, up to the usual standard :).

Of course, maybe you've got all that done before you took it to Rotterdam and it's just the WIP pics don't show it, if so just ignore what I sad.

Also, if your around on facebook later, your gonna be bombarded with questions about airbrush techniques - consider this fair warning :P.

He actually mentioned it in a previous comment. It's done with an oil paint mixed with white spirit (mineral spirit/turpentine in other countries). Windsor and Newton Burnt Umber to be precise (I use the same paint for exactly the same thing). The nice thing about oil paints for stuff like this is that they take a while to dry so you can spend some time manipulating the paint and getting some really awesome streak effects, You can do oil running from moving parts, dust/mud streaks around the bottom of the vehicle and rust streaks coming from rivets just by using slightly different colours or mixing with other paints/pigments. The downside to oil paints is that they require a bit more cleaning than acrylics. Just swishing the brush in water afterwards won't do it and personally I like to use old brushes as the cleaners for oil paints are a bit harsher than those used for acrylics.

I must have missed it. I suspected they were oils. I'm going to be picking up some oils for the Bee and I wanted to know if that was what he was using. Thanks!

The second thing is that there is none of the track showing, which when combined with the rust and mud not really contrasting with each other, further emphasises the totally rusted look. If you look at the Renegade Medusa in the IA Masterclass book, it's purposely weathered to look rusty and beat up and it's tracks look in better condition than your Glaive. Those Luna Techmarines have gotta be peeved at that tongue.png.

Apart from that everything is looking grand, up to the usual standard smile.png.

Also, if your around on facebook later, your gonna be bombarded with questions about airbrush techniques - consider this fair warning tongue.png.

Mr. Hobbit! 5:53 AM is WAY too early for such harsh comments!

Haha! Nah, seriously though, you have a valid point! The pigment color does present a problem. What I am going for is something like this:

http://ih3.redbubble.net/image.11984142.6100/flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg ... but more wet :P Coz there's no way that your average dry martian safari sand will stick my b*tchin' tanks! I do kinda have the same thing going on with my other tanks, but I think it shows a bit less because of the size of the tracks.

I do believe however you presented a good solution to my problem, which is bringing out the color of the the actual tracks. A highlight with metallics could very well do the trick, I think. You mentioned using a pencil, I have not tried this technique yet. How's it working for you?? :O

Both logo's (brass & decal) indeed look way too clean... damn, this tank actually still needs quite some work huh.png When I get my Glaive back I'll start with the metallics on the tracks, and dirtying up the Luna Icons.

Thanx everyone for the comments and advice I really appreciate it! biggrin.png

You finally got your airbrush all set up? Ace! I'll be on later today, can't wait to see what you're working on!

Forgeworld's model masterclass book uses a pencil to show how paint on hatches can be worn away down to bare metal by constant use, just run one along the lip of the hatch for instant result.

No reason, I suppose, why it shouldn't work elsewhere as well.

You finally got your airbrush all set up? Ace! I'll be on later today, can't wait to see what you're working on!

At the moment, just a piece of card, practicing technique. After that I've got quite a bit of terrain that I want to work on and a Baneblade and Valkyrie that I've had for years and never done anything with.

Archived