To camouflage, or not to camouflage?

Forté

That is the question...

Hi.

I'm currently painting a Stormsword tank but am unsure whether to put a camouflage design on or not.

The tank has been in action on an ash based world and is currently painted Vallejo Dark Blue Grey. I'm painting by hand as I don't have access to a working airbrush.

Cheers for any comments and suggestions :tu:

Previously I would have said camo it.

But currently, I'm on abit of a HH'esq kick where I'm weathering / distressing all my stuff (including the Word Mobile that I just did). And sometimes weathering and camoing clash. So this time I'd say just weather the thing.

I've been building up a few highlights and am quite liking the grey so I'm going to weather this mother. Plus there's a few other additions to paint so it may help them to stand out better.

Cheers for the replies though.

That base color, you can go many ways.  Masking tape for dazzle style, or stickum for blotch camo.  The question is, what is the them for the rest of the army.  FNG's on the ash world, or have they been there long enough to have a clue?

I'm more thinking of this as part of a force stationed to defend the planet against attack really.

And I'm brush painting too. No working airbrush and no funds to change that either.

Thinking of using VMC black grey for the larger pattern.

Aiming on keeping it darker but the odd, small, lighter colour could work too. I'll see how it is once the dark colour is done.

I freehand my camo schemes with some success, but then I am a proponent of the "wavy lines" theme. It's fairly easy to do in that style. If you're going for a more digital camo/lots of traingles approach, then masking tape will be necessary.

Ok...I added a simple camo which I'm actually happy with so cheers. Added a few decals too which I need to chip a little.

med_gallery_29004_9523_64262.jpgmed_gallery_29004_9523_118746.jpg

med_gallery_29004_9523_44145.jpg

Now to decide on a chipping colour really. Thinking Charadon Granite for most of it then Terracotta for areas which have heavier chipping. Maybe bare metal after that too. Any thought?

Looks good, simple is often the best - nice job! :)

Charadon is a great chipping colour, as is some bare metal if you can get it right (I can't... yet).

You tried using a pencil?

I can paint it on ok, just not make it look right. I need to create a little collection of real life chipping images, the attempts I've made just didn't look good enough. It's on my list of things to work on once I've cleared my decks some more :)

I've only really done it on half a dead Black Templar so this is my first real attempt at weathering. Fingers crossed eh.

Archived