NoLats' Iron Warriors

Firstly, stealing that colour scheme for a separate army I'm currently working on.  

Secondly, I don't think it really needs that much of a weathering.  

IF that is something that you are looking into then I would experiment with a bit of sponge and Dark Flesh (or whatever the new equivalent is).  This is shaping up to be something epic.  Have you got an army list in mind or are you just building what's cool and fluffy for the army.  

Update time guys!

I finally got around to finishing the metallic base colour (pending approval by you guys of course), by drybrushing leadbelcher over the original reddish colour and then washing again lightly with Reikland. The results are as follows:

10563340_626781697419277_1162167766_n.jp

10486856_626781690752611_2039309223_n.jp

Also, i've kept the original reddish colour with a much lighter drybrush for the parts of the armour which are 'under' the reinforcement plates. This, to me, shows the Iron Warriors probably wouldn't polish those parts, as well as providing an interesting visual contrast;

10567392_626837914080322_1604245385_n.jp

I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out so far, I think I've come as close as I can with my ability to capture the Iron Warriors colour in Extermination. The only thing which worries me is that I haven't done any traditional highlighting - what would you recommend in regards to this?

Edit: Added a couple of group photos of the tac squad so far. I am still yet to build a sarge and heavy weapon guy, and an eight tactical marine is undergoing simple green as we speak - I had a bad accident with some Reikland which made it look as though I don't THIN MY PAINTS.

10574743_626795027417944_1702898293_n.jp

10566404_626800127417434_1668516660_n.jp

10566613_626837264080387_505483712_n.jpg

10527955_626837270747053_1065883208_n.jp

Anyway, thanks for all the support guys, C&C away biggrin.png

From what I can see (on my phone at the moment) those models look fine. Don't worry about over highlighting them, they look amazing as is.

What army list are you planning on using for them?

Keep up the excellent work!

From what I can see (on my phone at the moment) those models look fine. Don't worry about over highlighting them, they look amazing as is.

What army list are you planning on using for them?

Keep up the excellent work!

Aw thanks man, that's awesome to hear you like it. I never thought anything I could paint would be 'amazing', so that's a huge thing for me. And I will likely leave them as is then, the beauty of metallics is they highlight themselves. 

As for army lists, Chaos Space Marines. But that's not not a huge thing for me, i'm more of a hobbyist than a gamer. I just do what looks cool. 

My next question - pouches. My Iron Warriors have lots and lots of them. What colour should I go with? I feel the traditional brown/khaki would look too similar to the brownish tint of the armour. 

Huge fan of the chains and the pouches you've added to them. The mix of armour marks is something I personally love to see on Iron Warriors, gives them a real feel of looking after their equipment rather than just upgrading. Can't wait to see this squad finished.

I would be tempted by a black leather for the pouches with skin shades for the cloth that hangs down on some of them.  That or take the opportunity to paint desecrated loyalist banners.

Strangely enough, I was thinking of going for a black leather look on the pouches. I was going to do it by drybrushing a dark brown over black, to recreate that slightly brown cracking effect you get with black leather, as well as visually tying to the brown hue of the armour without blending in. 

I was also thinking all grenades, meltas and other explosive equipment being yellow with maybe a hazard stripe or two. I'm planning on making hazard stripes minimal with these guys; only on equipment or parts that are actually 'volatile', or the occasional pauldron/kneepad as a type of strange decoration/rank signifier. 

Thanks to everyone again for being so encouraging and helpful, there's a reason I love this board. Will post results of torso/leg detailing next! 

Ugh, sorry about the dead image links happening here. I've moved my uploads to Imgur, so hopefully that fixes the issue.

Anyway. Just to once again prove I AM still alive, and have just been flat out with work and uni, here is an update! With the exposed cables (seen in the Iron Hands parts), I am not sure what to do. Should I go a flat colour or try some kind of glowy effect? I can't decide so maybe you guys can.. 

http://i.imgur.com/BarARPO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/G0so3Xf.jpg

C&C please guys, and let me know about those cables!

I think a nice orange or blue glow on the cables would look fantastic!

I was also actually thinking about a blue or orange glow! Haha. Im leaning towards blue for a more distinct contrast though.

Glowy cables are nice on individual show pieces and things, but given the gritty color scheme you're going with I think it would be distracting.  Also, it's sort of a 'hey, shoot me here where my armor is inadequate' vibe.  Doesn't seem very Iron Warrior-y to me.

Glowy cables are nice on individual show pieces and things, but given the gritty color scheme you're going with I think it would be distracting. Also, it's sort of a 'hey, shoot me here where my armor is inadequate' vibe. Doesn't seem very Iron Warrior-y to me.

That's also a good point.. it might look a bit too 'fantasy' and not enough like gritty trench-digging Iron Warriors.

Maybe, a flat blue colour? Or even a yellow on the cables? What would you suggest?

In most industrial applications (and lets face it, power armor is pretty much industrial equipment) any wiring that is around moving parts, or that is in an exposed area is going to be run through some sort of loom.  These are usually plastic or flexible metal sheathes.  On my marines (which are black) I paint them as a rubberized sheath, so it's a dark brown (much like you might see on an old sun-worn tire).  I don't know that would work well with your color scheme, and black seems a bit... dull for a detail bit.  You could go with a (not over the top) yellow, as a bit of a pre-cursor to the abundance of black/yellow caution striping on modern Iron Warriors.  Something dull-ish, just this side of brown perhaps, to keep from drawing too much attention to it?

I don't think all Legions or Chapters would see their armour as Industrial equipment, but Iron Warriors definitely would. In fact, one of the things which inspired me to start IW was seeing badass industrial equipment on my commute to work, haha.

I'm going a cool, dull yellow :D my guys will have minimal hazard stripes, so this will provide that nice focus spot.

Archived