Chaos Lords, how do you get them working?

Dysorange

Tenebris - so, similar to my Brand Lord, just with the Aura in place of the Jump Pack and no Mark. I agree, it's a good set-up, though I'm considering swapping the Sword for a Lightning Claw as it's the same cost, but better (neither get +1A, but the Claw has Shred). Plus, Claws look cool. msn-wink.gif

Combined with 5 Flamer-chosen in a Rhino and watch an Ork unit disappear before your very eyes... I've done it without the Lord and that was brutal, but with the Lord as well... Mmmm Burny-burny goodness... drool.gif

Overall I think that the Power Maul is the better weapon of the lot, it harms your opponent in many subtle ways rather than simple direct damage and the bonus to strength is welcome too. I agree, Lightning Claws are the go to power weapon but I kinda like the iconography of the sword on my models. 

Chapter master has very poor choices of retinue. Chaos bikers shouldn't have any problems with loyalist bikers, if you give them something like powerfist and/or marks and icons. Once CM's retinue is dead, CL and bikers will swarm him, and with average dice rolls Chaos lord can tank CM damage for about 2-3 combat rounds. Also, CM isn't fearless and much worse at killing infantry/bikes than Lords, who can massacre CM squad and make him fail leadership test.

Take a secondary HQ with a Command Squad-put the Standard Template Chapter Master in it.  That's what I see a lot.  I had a funny game-first time I used a MacePrince and the guy I was playing against actually ran his chapter master away from my MacePrince.

I'm using my own Khârn made from the PA chosen guy (not the Aspiring Champion model).

Been having fun playing unbound lists.  Khârn is overall warlord, with the Juggerlords as expendable beatsticks-they've not lost a combat so far...but then again it's 3 Juggernaught Riding Lords with Powerfists and Lighting claws attacking a single thing-that's a lot of s8 hits going around.

Before I'm asked, it's Khârn, the three Jugger-Bros, and 15 5 man beserker squads and a lot of Spawn out in front.  Something Will. Get. Through.

Chapter master has very poor choices of retinue. Chaos bikers shouldn't have any problems with loyalist bikers, if you give them something like powerfist and/or marks and icons. Once CM's retinue is dead, CL and bikers will swarm him, and with average dice rolls Chaos lord can tank CM damage for about 2-3 combat rounds. Also, CM isn't fearless and much worse at killing infantry/bikes than Lords, who can massacre CM squad and make him fail leadership test.

Take a secondary HQ with a Command Squad-put the Standard Template Chapter Master in it.  That's what I see a lot.  I had a funny game-first time I used a MacePrince and the guy I was playing against actually ran his chapter master away from my MacePrince.

I'm using my own Khârn made from the PA chosen guy (not the Aspiring Champion model).

Been having fun playing unbound lists.  Khârn is overall warlord, with the Juggerlords as expendable beatsticks-they've not lost a combat so far...but then again it's 3 Juggernaught Riding Lords with Powerfists and Lighting claws attacking a single thing-that's a lot of s8 hits going around.

Before I'm asked, it's Khârn, the three Jugger-Bros, and 15 5 man beserker squads and a lot of Spawn out in front.  Something Will. Get. Through.

I don't think this needs to be unbound.

CAD1: Khârn, 6 Berzerker Squads, up to 3 spawn units

CAD2: Jugger, 5 Berzerker Squads, up to 3 spawn units

CAD3: Jugger, 2 Berzerker Squads, up to 3 spawn units

CAD4: Jugger, 2 Berzerker Squads, up to 3 spawn units

Unless you split your Spawn into more than 12 units this is battleforged.

Absolutely lovely. I'm sure this pleases Khorne a lot and I say that as a devout Slaaneshi.

Would love to play against this list. 

• 2 months later...

Chaos Lord,

- Mark of Nurgle

- Chaos Bike

- Power Fist

- Lightning Claw

- Sigil of Corruption

- Daemonhearth

- The Slaughterer's Horns

Save 2+/4+, T6 (he doesn't fear F10)

6 attacks F9 on charge.

T6 for me is a must.. any T5 lord is pretty dead by any knight, wolf, F10 blast... not viable.

A prophet lord with MoN, sigil, blight grenades, daemonheart, blade and horns on a palanquin together with 9 MoN possessed in a dreadclaw...

(edit): I'm at work so i can't actually check if the prophet works with the palanquin...

I generally keep my Lords cheap now. I'm rather disappointed on the inability to really tune up my Chaos Lord for CC when compared to my loyalist Chapter Master, so I tend to take a different approach with my Chaos Lords. The lack of a 2+ save outside of Terminator Armor or the CS Supplement really hurts Chaos IMO.

I generally run a cheap Lord with either the Axe or Fistclaws (Depending on the Mark and what Cult troops I am taking). I generally don't bother with Terminator Armor since Sweeping Advance is pretty important to my Necron-heavy meta.

I generally keep my Lords cheap now. I'm rather disappointed on the inability to really tune up my Chaos Lord for CC when compared to my loyalist Chapter Master, so I tend to take a different approach with my Chaos Lords. The lack of a 2+ save outside of Terminator Armor or the CS Supplement really hurts Chaos IMO.

I generally run a cheap Lord with either the Axe or Fistclaws (Depending on the Mark and what Cult troops I am taking). I generally don't bother with Terminator Armor since Sweeping Advance is pretty important to my Necron-heavy meta.

That's why I run the CS supplement. Biker or juggy lord with 2+ and horns usually, with the blade or fistyclaws, MoN with spawns, MoK(juggy) or MoS with bikes.

I'm rather disappointed on the inability to really tune up my Chaos Lord for CC when compared to my loyalist Chapter Master

The comparison seems inappropriate to me. By taking a look at the SM codex, it seems the Company Captain would be a better analogy for the chaos lord, stats-wise. Captain that would definitely be beatable by an appropriately geared Chaos Lord.

And if you start thinking by analogy for the Chapter Master, the closest character I can think of in the CSM codex is the Daemon Prince (no joke).

(sorry If I made mistakes, it's getting late...)

Captain that would definitely be beatable by an appropriately geared Chaos Lord.

A bike mounter cpt with ES+TH is almost as tough of an opponent to a lord as a Chapter master is and he unlocks bikes. And he works in more versions then 1, our non CS lords kind of a get eaten by other meq HQs. t6 or not when your +3/+5 you kind of a die fast.

Captain that would definitely be beatable by an appropriately geared Chaos Lord.

A bike mounter cpt with ES+TH is almost as tough of an opponent to a lord as a Chapter master is and he unlocks bikes. And he works in more versions then 1, our non CS lords kind of a get eaten by other meq HQs. t6 or not when your +3/+5 you kind of a die fast.

I agree with this unfortunately unless its a jugger lord with blind fury our lords dont hit hard enough in cc. While i give my Slaanesh Lord a power sword his main job is to unlock noise marines as troops for me and drive around burning MEQ out if the safety of his metal bawkse

I'm rather disappointed on the inability to really tune up my Chaos Lord for CC when compared to my loyalist Chapter Master

The comparison seems inappropriate to me. By taking a look at the SM codex, it seems the Company Captain would be a better analogy for the chaos lord, stats-wise. Captain that would definitely be beatable by an appropriately geared Chaos Lord.

Nah, my Captain also tends to do better than my Chaos Lords. The Shield Eternal is just a fantastic item along with access to artificer armour. My Captain usually lasts longer and kills more when compared to my Chaos Lords. (My Axelord generates more raw damage but is much more fragile than my Captain) Give him an Assault Terminator squad attached and he forms an effective assault unit.

Honestly I'm just really thrilled with the Relic selection my loyalists have. It's just got a bunch of great items and it's easy for me to build a beatstick Captain or Chapter Master. By contrast I just feel so frustrated and constrained when trying to make a Chaos Lord.

A CS lord can easily break the 200 point barrier.

With horns, jugger, fistyclaws, heart, MoK and sigil you have a T5 W4 2+/4++ lord that has 7 attacks on the charge with either ap2 at I1 or AP3 at I5 for 220p

With bike, MoN, sigil, grenades, horns, heart, fistyclaws and he's T6 W3 2+/4++ with 6 attack on the charge with fistyclaws(or the blade for 10 points cheaper), plus defensive grenades for 215p.

Usually I have them around the 150-170 points cap. I have the impression if I invest more it is detrimental to the overall performance of my armies. With the stacking of detachments I prefer to field several "cheap" HQ rather than a single buffed one. My favorite loadout it is either my terminator tank or a cheap lord for Brand duty. I have a preference for sorcerers though.  

Archived