Beating the Worst - Centurions

Captain Idaho

Outrageous rule. Once per turn is powerful but every unit? Give me a break!

Sisters are probably least worried (discounting invisibility shenanigans) since Exorcist tanks are amazing and a staple of the army and scouting Dominions could be in their face within a turn or so.

There's a move actually; doesn't Karamazov have that rule to place his bombardment on the heads of his lucky followers? Invisible eh? Well I'll just shoot what I can see instead!

I fought chaos recently and the player used the helbrute deepstriking formation.

Due to unfortunate scatter and a mishap all 3 ended within 12" of my grav - who unloaded 15 shots into each one, destroying them.

Happy days :-P

Ishagu, you said you've burned down a Land Raider in one shooting phase.  How did you deal with the unit the Land Raider was carrying?  If you kill the Raider at anything except the extreme limit of the grav cannons' range, you've now got an assault unit in charge range.  Even if they don't wipe you in a single assault phase due to Invisibility, you're still locked up because grav cents are poop in close combat and your tanky HQ is probably stuck fighting another tanky HQ.

That might be the answer, deepstriking suicidal blood angels land raider crusader carrying thundernators.

The land raider dies, but the squad inside gets out and assaults you. Although you will need two of them to whether the turn. (seems expensive).

People assume my Centurions are in a Vacuum. I typically run them with an Imperial Knight alongside them or a Landraider with Assault Terminators of my own.

Like I said, any of these lists only function at 2k or more.

Here's an example of one of my 2k lists:

-Captain, AA, TH, SE

-10 man tac squad, Combi plas, plasma, Rhino

-5 man tac squad, Combi flamer, flamer (or meltas), drop pod

-2 Stormtalons, TL Las

-3 Grav Centurions, Omniscope

-5 Assault Terminators, Landraider

-Imperial Knight Errant

-Coteaz

Troll them by low armor value scrubs like guardsmen, or cultists.  I'd take two helcults with max cultists running infront of everything, with Tzeentch or Nurgle spawn rushing forwards.

If I'm playing my Grey Knights, I have more warp charges than you do, and I bet I can deny some of your little party-and introduce a Dreadknight to the mix.

Outrageous rule. Once per turn is powerful but every unit? Give me a break!

Sisters are probably least worried (discounting invisibility shenanigans) since Exorcist tanks are amazing and a staple of the army and scouting Dominions could be in their face within a turn or so.

There's a move actually; doesn't Karamazov have that rule to place his bombardment on the heads of his lucky followers? Invisible eh? Well I'll just shoot what I can see instead!

WHY don't chaos cultists get such a rule/ability?  Mob up the enemy, and then shoot through the cultists, like in Storm of Iron.

Troll them by low armor value scrubs like guardsmen, or cultists. I'd take two helcults with max cultists running infront of everything, with Tzeentch or Nurgle spawn rushing forwards.

Not always a viable option since centurions come with hurricane bolters. At 12" your looking at a minimum of 18 TL ap 5 shooting attacks. Throw in Coteaz and your looking at 19-24 of those attacks. While that's not enough to wipe an entire squad it is enough to keep them out of assault range to keep the cents from getting into a tar pit.

Also don't assume this occurs in a vacume. Most cent death stars use tiggy which means UM CT's. That means two or three tac squads that can twin link for a turn. In my experience most scrub units don't survive or are so degraded they are easily cleaned up.

Guard being the one exceptions as guard blobs can be rediculous to clean up if they have the right upgrades.

I think another option is taking DA Black Knights (either as primary detachment unit or as part of an allied detachment).

Using Scout and their great maneuverability, they have a very solid chance of setting up a turn 1 rapid fire engagment of the enemy Centurion deathstar from an angle that denies the Chapter Master from "tanking" hits with his 3++ and EW.

10 Black Knights at 9" can put out 20 TLed Plasma shots, which translates to 4-6 Unsaved wounds when shooting at Centurions with Invisibility cast on them. If you shoot from an angle where only Centurions are being hit, then that is 2-3 dead Centurions, dramatically reducing enemy combat power in a single round of shooting. If you hit the Psykers (i.e. Coteaz and Tigurius), well you pretty much wipe them out, meaning that next turn the Centurions will have no access to Divination, Invisibility, or any of the other buffs which make them so dangerous, meaning you can relatively easily bring them down.

Now, say your opponent goes first.... since Black Knights have Jink and Skilled rider and will be snap-shooting at Invisible Centurions anyway, you can have the squad absorb quite a lot of Centurion firepower with their 3+ cover save before you move in for your own shooting. 4 Centurions have 20 shots, of which about 13-14 will hit, 11-12 will wound, and 3-4 will be unsaved wounds.... now, that is a pretty significant blow, but it is still a lot better than Centurions completely wiping out a unit that has no cover or invul save.  

If you add in a Dark Shroud Land Speeder nearby or a Biker Librarian with The Shrouding power, then your Black Knights have a 2+ Jink save, meaning that they will only take 1-2 unsaved wounds from 4 Centurions, greatly reducing the loss of combat power on your part and allowing you to successfully engage the Centurions next turn.

Finally, if you add a PML(2) Biker Librarian with Biomancy to the Black Knights, he can assist them with Witchfire Powers (i.e. Smite, Haemorrage, Soul Leach), Blessing (Endurance basically doubles the the Black Knight survivability, especially with their Jink saves), Malediction (combine Enfeeble with Rad Grenades and suddenlt Centurions are T3, meaning that the Plasma causes ID to them), or close combat utility (a Librarian with a Force Maul and Iron Arm and Warp Speed has 7 S9 AP2 attacks on the charge, all at Initiative 7). 

Has anyone thrown a Helcult at this squad? While the unit is heavily buffed it isn't effective against hordes. Grave still only wound by armor saves. Cultists T-shirt armor is a boon against this. They aren't even meant to kill the unit, just tie it up in assault while the rest of your army gets the real work done. 

I've faced Helcult twice recently. It tied up my Centurions in one game, and in another two swarms of fearless cultists and a dread killed my invisible Be'lakor after an assault that lasted 3 turns... :'(

It's any unit coming from reserve that ends within 12" of Coteaz's unit.

Actually, it's within 12" of Coteaz's model, not the whole unit. This means a plasma loaded drop pod can still unload within double tap range as long as you're careful with your placement.

It becomes borderline insane if you play it per unit, and extremely broken. Thank god it's not the actual case. And this comes from a GK henchmen player. ;)

Im 100% sure it's the unit as per the Inquision codex...

But I have been wrong in the past :-P

The rule reads:

I’ve Been Expecting You: If an enemy unit arrives from reserves within 12" of Coteaz and within his line of sight, Coteaz and his unit can immediately make an out-of-sequence shooting attack against it.

Sadly, it'a within 12" of Coteaz, not him or his unit.

Yeah its Coteaz not his unit. It would be op if it were his unit. Imagine a guard blob that got to shoot everything that came within 12" of reserves...yeesh.

Its possible to get within 12" of the unit but staying out of Coteaz's bubble. Although its possible to prevent that with deployment. That's why its a strategy game :).

The thing I've always wondered is what if Coteaz is in a chimera? He would be able to draw line of sight from a firing port and for purposes of I've been waiting for you would you measure to the chimeras hull? Or would he get bupcus cause he is in a tank.

Lol I get so many things wrong All the damn time.

It's getting hard to keep track of rules with a normal army being made up of 2/3 different codecies...

Might retire back to my Sons of Horus for a while...

Well technically it's not within Coteaz but the Chimera. But that's a grey area I believe, have to check my rule book.

Anyway, great information people. It had to be within 12" of Coteaz and not his unit which means he either needs to be exposed or you can hit the other members of the squad with some rapid fire. He can't be everywhere so flanking actually works nicely even with his silly rule.

That's what the thread is for. ;)

There is no allowance to draw Line of Sight from a firing point other than for the purpose of firing a weapon. Thus I've Been Expecting You ceases to work if you put Coteaz in a transport, even if it has firing points.

• 2 weeks later...

I still like the idea of putting the devy cents in a Chimera or Taurox. two models can shoot out of the chimera, all three, (as long as you have an omniscope) could shoot out of the taurox.

I still like the idea of putting the devy cents in a Chimera or Taurox. two models can shoot out of the chimera, all three, (as long as you have an omniscope) could shoot out of the taurox.

This is the silliest thing ever. The most stupid looking AM vehicle packed with marines in a fat-suits that are almost larger individually than the taurox itself.

If there ever was a 40k clowncar that's it. 

Archived