PsyCrows WIP Small Update 4/12 Test fig done yay!

Psy-Crow

Excellent progress brother. Your black highlighting is superb. How you paint such straight lines is beyond me. Maybe if I didn't have such fat fingers or a caffeine addiction....hrmmm...

BTW the orange cat is clearly the best. Just saying. And my kitten comes when shes called....on occassion....usually when I yell Daenerys its because she's in trouble so she just freezes and stares at me.

Hopefully this motivates me to get back to work on mine. I love my project but a new job and more paperwork for the government keep getting in the way.

Thanks mate, yeah its tough. At the moment I've got 4 on the go. Chaos Champion, a The Last Of Us scene for Massive Voodoo's painting comp, a mini Johnny 5 from Short Circuit, and my always ongoing Raven Guard. 

I'm just starting to get a bit more organised but after batch painting these last Vanguard I've realised that it's not for me. I'm much better at painting one guy at a time, I got way too bored doing all that black at once.

As for lines, if it was a different colour, trust me they would look much worse than they do. Black is so easy at fixing and the Scale 75 base colour Flat Black covers really easily.

Cheers mate, no chance of placing but I think it will be pretty cool to have pictures up their blog. Plus they have a random draw for all entries so there's always a chance of winning something.

Finally finished these guys. Had an evening with clumsyfingeritus and then repainted the metallics, badly, in a foul mood :)

Happy overall though, made mistakes, more to practice. Now on to something chaos and something unsuitable for here. Thanks for looking

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/Scuberu/DSC00392JPG_zps3570e63a.jpg

@KvIt Ghost, Thanks dude. I'm always spotting mistakes but its great to hear that others can see improvement. I'm really trying to push myself to get better, its finding the time to sit down and get stuck in.

@Magicman, I've been waiting for someone to notice those :) I used to play as a kid and to me those are space marine heads. I'm not a massive fan of mk7. They have more a bird like look to them and really suit Raven Guard. I've got 5 new ones (ebay ftw) put away for when I get to my command squad. I'm hoping by the time I get round to them GW will have brought back Shrikes Wing or added Jump Packs to command squads. 

@ DaemonClaw, Thanks dude, your stuff is awesome, big fan here. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the bad pics, i'll do better ones when I finish the squad, which may take some time :) 

It started out as a gift for my mates DIY, but I fudged the face so bad in the beginning that he I decided he would be better off with beloved Ravens. Only problem now is he needs 4 friends and I've started way too much already. But then, haven't we all? :)

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/Scuberu/DSC00413JPG_zps9bcd8b4f.jpghttp://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/Scuberu/DSC00453JPG_zpsb3c3832e.jpghttp://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/Scuberu/DSC00454JPG_zps1bf741cd.jpg

Looks excellent! As others have said, absolutely loving that matte black. Did you airbrush it to get it so smooth?

I wonder if the face needs a thin wash - I know Ravens are pale but something to give some more definition.

That black really is something else. May have to try out some Scale75. Though I've just discovered Model Air (using a brush, not an airbrush. Go figure), so it may be a while.

Good to see you posting again :tu:

@Luther, Thanks mate. You are absolutely right mate,  unfortunately that face got me so wound up I had to move on for my sanity. I had to redo his eye 6 times and even now its only ok from the angle you see in the photo. Other angles that dude has crazy eyes. Light colours, in particular skin tones, are something I really struggle with, and my crappy cam phone really doesn't help. Painting class in Jan though so watch this space.

@Forte, Good to be back mate. When I finished that dude I realised 2 things. 1, I had been away too long, I need to start pushing and 2. Until now I've only painted but I looked over at my shelf and realised I'm starting to get close to my goal of 2000 points. Will be popping in to my local Gdub to learn how to play next week. Thanks for you're kind words on my black but its really down to SCC's tutorial. One of the best power armour tutorials out there imo. Shows every angle in each stage with clear explanation. I'm on project Richtophen this weekend mate, so no pics here but expect Facebook updates tonight/tomorrow.

@Forte, I've found with black it sounds odd but it really helps, especially as I'm using S75 which as a matte paint, absorbs the light more. A thin line of black ink makes the recess slightly glossy, which helps reflect the light more, which in turn makes the recess look darker. 

I love how each stage is photographed all round so when I was sitting at my desk stressing over where to put my brush, I was able to reads this and follow it exactly. I've used it so many times its now my go to way of doing power armour although I use allot less black wash now.

I find, if its black for something other than my Ravens, I will add a tiny tip of a colour in. Black is a bit weird as its hardly ever a true black, it looks different based on how its made and the light situation you are in. 

I am however, only in the very early of stages of colour theory and colour temperature at the moment so you'll have to forgive my mad ramblings :)

That's all good mate.

Massive Voodoo (now I know you may have heard of those guys a little) did a great article about painting black which had some great photos to spark thoughts too. Well worth a read (but don't change how you're painting you're RG as they're looking ace).

Haha, was going to mention that article in your facebook post. Great article that one, Picster doesn't do them often but when he does they're awesome. I'm using his marble tutorial allot atm.  

Thanks Deathspectersgt7. Overall I wasn't happy with it, as Luther pointed out a couple of glazes would help add more definition but I was happy with the colour. Any more flesh that gets painted on these guys will be a recreation of that face, but better...... Hopefully smile.png

I don't have an exact recipe for it but I used all Vallejo model colour. Basic Skintone, Violet and Ivory.

My quantities are 1 splodge of skin tone, then a brush tip of violet to darken it slightly and add a purpley tone. It might look odd at this point but then I add a tiny tip of Ivory. This makes it lighter but also seems to make it colder. I'm sure there is a simpler way out there but I had fun playing with colour on a palette and got a sickly skin out of it.

Archived