[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

Always thought it was weird that Perturabo has one of the best alpha strikes of the legions, I always thought he would be more like a really super charged magos.

That being said I would try a list with Perturabo, a body guard of Tyrants, a Command Rhino, and the Ironfire Row.

Turn 1 place the Command Rhino as far up the field as you dare. Perturabo now has a 24'' bubble to come in with his Tyrants where he does not scatter, and comes in on a +2.

Now Ironfire reduces barrage scatter by 6'' when it is within 12'' of any iron warriors unit. With that Perturabo's bombardment only scatters 6'' when you take away his bs of 6 for having line of sight it doesnt scatter at all. After resolving Perturabo's Barrage leave an Ironfire counter.

Next drop the Barrage from the Command Rhino which will not scatter as long as it is with 18'' of an Ironfire counter and 6'' of an Iron warriors unit.

Finally use Perturabo to up the bs of the Tyrants to 5 and clean up whatever is left.

over all that is d3 s9 ap3 pie plates, 1 s8 ap3 lance pie plate,10 - 20 s8 ap3 shots, and 10 - 20 s4 ap5 twin - linked shots. All of which will rarely every miss.

Edited by The Lord of Iron

Always thought it was weird that Perturabo has one of the best alpha strikes of the legions, I always thought he would be more like a really super charged magos.

That being said I would try a list with Perturabo, a body guard of Tyrants, a Command Rhino, and the Ironfire Row.

Turn 1 place the Command Rhino as far up the field as you dare. Perturabo now has a 24'' bubble to come in with his Tyrants where he does not scatter, and comes in on a +2.

Now Ironfire reduces barrage scatter by 6'' when it is within 12'' of any iron warriors unit. With that Perturabo's bombardment only scatters 6'' when you take away his bs of 6 for having line of sight it doesnt scatter at all. After resolving Perturabo's Barrage leave an Ironfire counter.

Next drop the Barrage from the Command Rhino which will not scatter as long as it is with 18'' of an Ironfire counter and 6'' of an Iron warriors unit.

Finally use Perturabo to up the bs of the Tyrants to 5 and clean up whatever is left.

over all that is d3 s9 ap3 pie plates, 1 s8 ap3 lance pie plate,10 - 20 s8 ap3 shots, and 10 - 20 s4 ap5 twin - linked shots. All of which will rarely every miss.

Turbos plates have AP2.... ouh yeah.

I love my legion.

How do you intend to get those pods though? more than one or two are going to get very expensive, and you cant use the Row to get a cheaper ones.

Harder than you'd think, actually.

This is what I slapped together for 3.5k Points...

+++ Ironfire All Up in Yo Grill (3500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (3500pts) ++

+ HQ (245pts) +

Damocles Command Rhino (100pts)

Legion Centurion (145pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Phosphex Bombs, Power Fist]
··Consul [siege Breaker]

+ Troops (460pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (230pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon]

Legion Tactical Squad (230pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon]

+ Elites (720pts) +

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery (240pts) [3x Legion Rapier, Phosphex Canister Shot]

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery (240pts) [3x Legion Rapier, Phosphex Canister Shot]

+ Heavy Support (1585pts) +

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (465pts)
··Legion Medusa [shrapnel Bolts]

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad (560pts) [3x Chainfist, 9x Tyrant Terminator]

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad (560pts) [3x Chainfist, 9x Tyrant Terminator]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [iV: Iron Warriors, Traitor]

+ Lord of War (490pts) +

The Primarch Perturabo (490pts) [After Istvaan]
··Master of the Legion [The Ironfire]

Awesome list. Two things do jump out at me though. 

One - you have absolutely no chaff, nothing in that list is inclined to a straight up meat grinder that the iron warriors like so much. 20 tactical marines, and 20 tyrants are going to struggle to absorb loses while your big guns go to work. Plus being 50 points a man mean you are really going to want to protect those tyrants.

Two - I don't see any drop pods in that list. wasn't that what we were aim for? :tongue.:

Personal I would drop a squad of tyrants, the artillery squad, at least 1 rapier from each battery (maybe even drop one full battery as well), and maybe the siege breaker.

Went for Ironfire > Pods so yeah. Unless your Taking Fast Attack Dreadclaws, you're not getting pods if you want to max out  on Artillery.

20 Tyrants, is still 40 Krak Missiles that are Deepstriking T1 on a 2+ Thanks to Perturabo with 20 of those being Tank Hunters thanks to the Siege Breaker. Possibly even being BS5 if Perturabo is with them.

Second, the Siege Breaker gives you Phosphex Shells on your Rapiers that you wouldn't otherwise get. S4 Ap3 Poisoned 3+ Barrage Heavy 4 per Rapier? Thats 12 Templates per squad that will turn ANY 3+ Saves to ash. Dont need much chaff in a list when none of theirs is going to live.

You also need a Compulsory HQ which the Damoclese is not so unless you want an Illegal List, he's staying.

Edited by Slipstreams

I just think the list has a little too much of a back line presences. Anything that gets behind you is going to do major damage. Emperor's Children, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, White Scares, Raven Guard are all going to head to that back line and earn their points back very quickly. God forbid anyone brings a few flyers. 

It may be a personal bias but I don't like spending so much on artillery, especially when our legion does attrition warfare so well. 

Good point about the Hq though

Well, Luckily for you, Tyrants have 48" Range on Cataphractii (54" total range) so they can more or less literally deploy anywhere and still get their shooting off.

Vs an Alpha Strike Army? Dont deepstrike into their lines, use your range to your advantage and if they get close, well, you have barrages that dont scatter.

Edited by Slipstreams

"Lucky for you tyrants wreck" :tongue.: I know its great isn't it. 

Won't you even consider a Leviathan, or Contemptor mortis ? nothing says iron like a dreadnought's foot in your ***.

seriously though Dreadnoughts, Castellax, Breachers, and Terminators. Make your opponent fight for every inch of table.

I actually had a Leviathan in V1.0 with Melta, Drill and Phosphex (for more barrage) in a Pod.

...but then I realized it'd be competing with 10 more Tyrants. If you REALLY wanted dreads, you can do the following:

+++ Ironfire and Pods All Up in Yo Grill (3500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (3500pts) ++

+ HQ (235pts) +

Damocles Command Rhino (100pts)

Legion Centurion (135pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Power Fist]
··Consul [siege Breaker]

+ Troops (420pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (210pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Nuncio-Vox]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Squad (210pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Nuncio-Vox]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

+ Elites (960pts) +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (240pts)
··Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (240pts)
··Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

+ Heavy Support (1395pts) +

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (465pts)

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (375pts)
··Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Cyclonic Melta Lance, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger]

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad (555pts) [2x Chainfist, 9x Tyrant Terminator]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [iV: Iron Warriors, Traitor]

+ Lord of War (490pts) +

The Primarch Perturabo (490pts) [After Istvaan]
··Master of the Legion [The Ironfire]

Dreadclaws and Dreadnaughts are the only easy ways to bring pods to an Ironfire list. I think Golg is another strong option as he lets you take terminators as troops. Sadly you're left with his god awful warlord trait if you do that. Big P is another good option if you play really big games.

The hard part is finding enough points to make it work while still covering your backfield. Those 3 HS choices go fast, especially if you play with Tyrants in your HS slots.

Yup. And for all that trouble you get the 'fear' warlord trait. You really want to roll world burner with this ROW. Hopefully we get an HQ down the road with that as a default trait. Heck, just allowing warsmiths to pick that over shatter defenses would be nice.

Yeah, that whould delete every infantry unit out of every opponents list you gonna face.

It's tidious to paint all those models anyway.

Seriously: Ironfire in combination with Phosphex Thudd Guns is horrifying as it is. Whith shred it simply goes nuts.

I tried it the other day and won't combine it against my HH opponents again. It just kills infantry in your meta and we like our footsloggers. ;)

I've played against some experienced players. 2" model coherency can really mitigate those small blast templates.

Really I just want warsmiths to be worth taking.

Crawling Death letting you move the template 2" in any direction so long as it covers more models is helpful though!

I've played against some experienced players. 2" model coherency can really mitigate those small blast templates.

Really I just want warsmiths to be worth taking.

Crawling Death letting you move the template 2" in any direction so long as it covers more models is helpful though!

Doubly so when you're setting up that initial bombardment for getting a chain of Ironfire markers started. 

We all know that an experienced player can set up their dudes in 2" coherency, and we all know that Phosphex can crawl. Used it this weekend and you don't hit one but three models. I got two Thudd Guns which meant eight blast markers in total. Yeah, you only hit one dude, but Phosphex crawls and you hit three. Then you throw seven scatter dice.

We all know how multible barrage works. But do we all know that you can move these blast markers who scatter? That makes a ton of hits and then whole units disappear. Combine that with the fact that you can tank shock those 2" coherency units so that they are way closer to one another and you have a massacre.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys sorry to hijack the thread but want to ask an army framework question.

I'm nearing a point where I want iron circle more than I want my dinner most days, and I love the idea of an IronFire RoW (Because in my head it's like the Iron Horde from WoW)

Plus I'd get to use my favourite Primarch.

So how's this. Perturabo. Surrounded by as many terminators as I can get for him (don't have to be tyrants) plus some Quad Launchers, some Medusae, some Leviathans, and either some Castellax OR an allied contingent of Cybernetica for some Castellax and Thanatar goodness.

Hi guys sorry to hijack the thread but want to ask an army framework question.

I'm nearing a point where I want iron circle more than I want my dinner most days, and I love the idea of an IronFire RoW (Because in my head it's like the Iron Horde from WoW)

Plus I'd get to use my favourite Primarch.

So how's this. Perturabo. Surrounded by as many terminators as I can get for him (don't have to be tyrants) plus some Quad Launchers, some Medusae, some Leviathans, and either some Castellax OR an allied contingent of Cybernetica for some Castellax and Thanatar goodness.

Sounds exactly right!

But aren't you an Imperial Fist player? :o!

I'd go with Ordo Reductor though - thier Medusa's are better and it frees up a hotly-contested heavy support slot from the IW.