[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

I just got parts for ten Dominators. I guess I do 5 with chainfist and 5 with Thunderhammer. Any objections?

You looking at the new rules or 1st editions?

For 1st, I don't think thunderhammers are ever worth it over chainfists.

For 2nd, the hammers can be swapped for graviton crushers, which absolutely demolish vehicles and dreads, but lose efficacy against multi-wound models. This can be manipulated with rad, but that's adding points to the unit.

Oh, I've missed their leak then.

Feel free to elaborate on them. :)

But yes, they are for second edition. Are there official weapons for graviton crushers, which, by the way, have the most badass name I heard in a while.

I'll start with 5 chain fisted then. They seem to be ok either way.

Edit: Man, I just read the rules for Iron circle. They are way better. Hopefully at least.

Edited by Gorgoff

No official models yet for the new weapons, though as you've spotted, the iron circle have the big version of them.

The crusher is +2 STR unwieldy, ap 2, haywire. Haywire still procs on dreadnoughts and automata, but ignores their armour on a roll of 2-5, and ignores all saves and fnp on a 6. So each dude with 3 attacks on the charge can just pile on damage to vehicles and associates.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

I'd do the thunder hammers because imho they look better.

Rules come and go, but minis are forever.

That being said, hammers are also getting buffed in AoD 2.0

There's literally no models for grav crushers, how do thunder hammers look better?

And thunderhammers gaining sunder doesn't make them better against armour against anything but av 10. If you want to excel against vehicles and dreads you take the crushers, if you want to have a take all comers option you take the thunderhammers.

There's literally no models for grav crushers, how do thunder hammers look better?

And thunderhammers gaining sunder doesn't make them better against armour against anything but av 10. If you want to excel against vehicles and dreads you take the crushers, if you want to have a take all comers option you take the thunderhammers.

Are Crusher extra cost? What does the leaks say?

Any model with the Legiones Astartes (Iron Warriors) special rule and the Character sub-type may exchange a power weapon for a Graviton mace or exchange a thunder hammer for a Graviton crusher for no additional points cost.

Weapon Range Str AP Type

Graviton mace - User 3 Melee, Haywire

Graviton crusher - +2 2 Melee, Unwieldy, Two-handed, Haywire

Graviton maul - +2 2 Melee, Concussive (1), Haywire

Honestly the maces on normal termies are better value if you just want hunt vehicles, but at least there's some ap 2 killing potential for the crushers.

Any model with the Legiones Astartes (Iron Warriors) special rule and the Character sub-type may exchange a power weapon for a Graviton mace or exchange a thunder hammer for a Graviton crusher for no additional points cost.

Weapon Range Str AP Type

Graviton mace - User 3 Melee, Haywire

Graviton crusher - +2 2 Melee, Unwieldy, Two-handed, Haywire

Graviton maul - +2 2 Melee, Concussive (1), Haywire

Honestly the maces on normal termies are better value if you just want hunt vehicles, but at least there's some ap 2 killing potential for the crushers.
I want to use them in ZM and there the chainfist is great I guess. Since I don't know if my group will use the new edition at all it is the safe bet. ;)

Well chainfists are frankly better than thunderhammers in both editions, and armourbane additionally grants rerolls to wound against dreads and bots in 2nd, so they're a very safe choice.

Neat.

And they look great. Punching the enemy with huge fists seems appropriate.

What I thought about is taking a big blob of Despoiler to scare of deep striking Contemptors. They can take Power Mauls and in combination qith our new legion rule that gives us S7 against them. Should work.

That's atleast S7 (4+2+1 for IW against vehicles and dreads), but like SkimaskMohawk said, its still not good to overcome the 2+ =/

I think chainfists are the way to go, as they get re-roll to wound against dreadnoughts =]

But Despoilers can't take those.

I missed that Contemptors have a 2+ armor. Well, that sucks. Axes have at least S6 which should at least give some wounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Important army collection decision of the day....I have 3 Leviathan Dreadnoughts on the way.  Should I buy 2 units of Mark III marines (and probably a couple Rhinos?) so I can run the 3 big stompies, along with some Terminators and/or my Contemptor....OR should I buy 2 more Contemptors to run Fury of the Ancients and Perturabo all big boyz?  

Army versatility would require the dudes, but: Dreadnoughts.  

If you want to run FotA, then you'll need much more than two Contemptors, since they seem to be your only scoring Units, the way you described to field them!

Oh yes, I do have 1 already (the super old Rogue Trader era one).  I've customized it with big pauldrons and a nice base, so that can be my HQ Contemptor.  I went ahead and got the Dreads, and also found a cheap box of Burning of Prospero for Mark III dudes.  More builds covered.

Anyone ever use the Domitar-Ferrum Automata?  Wondering if they'd be just a good accompaniment to an Infantry squad, like a bodyguard/distraction Carnifex type of thing.  They're purportedly 150 points in the playtest rules.  I feel compelled to get at least one for senseless collector reasons.  But a retinue of 2 or more for Perturabo?  Hmmm, not so sure about that.  I think they get a FNP of 6+ or something if they form the retinue now.

Looking to convert 10 of my Mark III dudes into Legion Destroyers with Jump Packs for a fast furious shock unit.  Might it be better to use them in an allied detachment of World Eaters though?  (assuming allies still get to use their basic Legion rules?)  Seems like they're more anti-infantry focused, so I'd give them their nasty forbidden weapons like the phospex bomb, alchem flamer, etc.  But a bunch of jumping gunslingers would look pretty darn cool!  How many Volkite Serpentas is too many?