Imperial knight's a little help needed

Stench

Hello new here not sure if it's the right place if not im sorry but I'm in need of some help

Resently in my gaming group i fielded a imperial knight for the fist time the others where

Quit miffed after the game and now they won't play Against it as it's op

So now i need some advice on how to kill off Said knight to try and help Them fight it

Any help much appiciated

Sry for the bad spelling

OP? How many points was this at?  Anything less than 750 I think calling it OP is reasonable but nothing higher than that.  Does your group believe in anti-tank weapons at all, because that is how you kill it.  It's not super-duper tough for a unit that expensive and will die to AT just like anything else with an armour value.

My chaos opponents have been saying it may be OP too, mainly i think because this is their first experience with D weapons and were shocked to see what happened to the defiler when it charged my Knight Quod Erat Demonstrandum (which certainly lived up to it's name that round!). It's not been helped that they took few Havocs and, where they could put one unit atop a tower and another spread over levels in a ruin, they put the lascannon bearing havocs all on the top of the tower where the rapid-fire battlecannon could easily ring out their doom.

That i can also heal the Knight with my Magos Prime and Techpriest Auxilia scares them. So-far in games they've put everything into killing these healer units. But the healing is slow work and my knight tends to rush forward (cause i play it like a Knight :) ) so ends up well ahead of the repairing units anyway.

What's the average damage output of a landraider on a Knight? I daresay that might be a good counter.
From what i've heard Eldar Wraith-Knights can be nasty against Imperial Knights from a distance too.

High initiative units with good anti-armour weapons should mess a Knight up before it can get it's reaper chainsword and stomp attacks in. Or ones that can have enough models survive the Knights attacks to hit back with good anti-armour weapons.

A few weeks ago my Knight Household curbstomped a combined force of Eldar, Ultramarines and Dark Angels.  Yesterday, they got chewed up by Tyranids.

The problem with Knights is that they force your opponent(s) to rethink their army lists.  You can't just throw Tactical Marines or Dire Avengers at them.  You have to adapt, which a lot of veteran gamers (in my experience and in my meta) are unwilling to do.  In my area, most players have been running the same armies and same lists since 3rd Edition with as little modification as necessary to keep up with the Codices.

Haywire grenades, Gauss weapons, melta weapons, lance weapons, etc. can all whittle down a Knight disturbingly quickly.  Especially if you flank them and take away the protection of their ion shields.  Knights can also be tarpitted very easily with mobs of cheap troops.  I had a Paladin get held up for three turns by a swarm of Termagants, simply because I couldn't swing or stomp fast enough.  Imagine a 50-man squad of Conscipts with a Priest.

At the end of the day, 40K is no longer a game of bashing each others' teeth out.  Even without a decent list, you can still outmaneuver them.  Knights can quickly walk across the table but their huge size means that they're hampered by terrain.  Mobile Troops units with Objective Secured can steal victory out from under them at the last second.  Objectives can also be placed out of their reach due to their huge footprint on the table.  If your opponent is shooting at your Knight, you've got them.  If they ignore them, you're in huge trouble.

Probably the easiest thing you can do to show that Knights aren't OP is to switch armies.

Edited by CommodusXIII

My chaos opponents have been saying it may be OP too, mainly i think because this is their first experience with D weapons and were shocked to see what happened to the defiler when it charged my Knight Quod Erat Demonstrandum (which certainly lived up to it's name that round!).

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Then don't do that!"

A few weeks ago my Knight Household curbstomped a combined force of Eldar, Ultramarines and Dark Angels. Yesterday, they got chewed up by Tyranids.

The problem with Knights is that they force your opponent(s) to rethink their army lists. You can't just throw Tactical Marines or Dire Avengers at them. You have to adapt, which a lot of veteran gamers (in my experience and in my meta) are unwilling to do. In my area, most players have been running the same armies and same lists since 3rd Edition with as little modification as necessary to keep up with the Codices.

Haywire grenades, Gauss weapons, melta weapons, lance weapons, etc. can all whittle down a Knight disturbingly quickly. Especially if you flank them and take away the protection of their ion shields. Knights can also be tarpitted very easily with mobs of cheap troops. I had a Paladin get held up for three turns by a swarm of Termagants, simply because I couldn't swing or stomp fast enough. Imagine a 50-man squad of Conscipts with a Priest.

At the end of the day, 40K is no longer a game of bashing each others' teeth out. Even without a decent list, you can still outmaneuver them. Knights can quickly walk across the table but their huge size means that they're hampered by terrain. Mobile Troops units with Objective Secured can steal victory out from under them at the last second. Objectives can also be placed out of their reach due to their huge footprint on the table. If your opponent is shooting at your Knight, you've got them. If they ignore them, you're in huge trouble.

Probably the easiest thing you can do to show that Knights aren't OP is to switch armies.

Well when you've changed the game to regularly include superheavies, it is a bit to come to terms. Also, this isn't a video game like WoW or League where you can stomach meta shift. You might have to spend some serious cash. Which shouldn't be a problem for Admech whales, but if you're running an army from third like those guys, I can see the stigma.

Chaos on the other hand has a larger pool of problems, so the topic will benefit from ignoring them.

I think its just lack of experience facing a Knight.

When our group first started using Knights it was scary for the opponent.

Nowadays, the opposing side will more often than not kill the Knight in the first turn (Drop Pod Melta / Las Pred, etc.) or Tarpit it from the second turn through the end.

Also, remember the Knight can't hit flying vehicles at all. 2 Vendettas will kill it.

seriously thanks for all the good ideas just hope they se the light 

the idea of switching armies might work plus it will teach me about playing against them

Edited by Stench

Some good points raised. I think i'll hold my Knight Errant back from the field till they've managed to down the Paladin at least once, so they don't feel that two knights are totally OP.

Of course they haven't seen cybertheurgy yet, so when they realise what it can do and start to deal with more than one Castellax maybe they'll prefer i spend the points on the 2nd knight...

Well when you've changed the game to regularly include superheavies, it is a bit to come to terms. Also, this isn't a video game like WoW or League where you can stomach meta shift. You might have to spend some serious cash. Which shouldn't be a problem for Admech whales, but if you're running an army from third like those guys, I can see the stigma.

Chaos on the other hand has a larger pool of problems, so the topic will benefit from ignoring them.

Yes, but at the same time 3rd Edition was a decade ago.  You don't need to run out and buy a Baneblade or a Wraithknight to effectively counter an Imperial Knight.  Just don't try to Rhino rush one while ignoring all of the objectives.

Edited by CommodusXIII

Yes, but at the same time 3rd Edition was a decade ago. You don't need to run out and buy a Baneblade or a Wraithknight to effectively counter an Imperial Knight. Just don't try to Rhino rush one while ignoring all of the objectives.

That's almost hilarious.