The Legion for you... Community Assistance Thread

Hyaenidae

Hey all, I'm pretty new to 30K gaming wise (I'm up to date with the literature) just jumped on the band wagon with the release of BAC. I'm looking to play Alpha Legion and Salamanders. Most of the stuff I'm going to paint will be in AL color scheme.

Will players in this community raise a stink if i brought a sicaran battle tank with my Salamanders painted in AL colors and just say, "well there stuffed got destroyed so they just hijacked some AL vehicles."?

Second question is what vehicles should i start of with? I've got a couple 40k rhinos and drop pods I planned on using for now and I also picked up a Sicaran Venator. What else would you recommend?

With AL i know they can use other legion's units, I've got a unit of 10 pyroclasts and 10 firedrakes, but what other legion's units would you recommend for a fun time?

Hi all,

I've skirted around this thread for the better part of a year and at this point, I'll take any advice I can get. Same story as always, I've got 2 favourite Legions and could really use some help picking between them.

1.       Raven Guard

• Love the mentality of ‘Reasonable Marines’ and their approach of being humanist, but still doing the dirty jobs when needed.
  • Love the flexibility afforded by Infiltrate and Drop Pods. Very keen on playing a more mobile army with Hit & Run rather than a meatblob.
  • Love Mor Deythan, Furies and Alvarex. Also while not exclusively-Raven, I also have a soft spot for Deathstorms.

• Not a negative as such, but I would paint them very differently to the stock. I find pure-black a bit boring so would go extremely happy with the tribal tattoos and what I can only describe as racing stripes. Lots of yellows and reds to bring it out a bit.
  • Corax is my favourite Primarch rules-wise but I don’t like the models preview. I’m hoping that paint will improve it but it’s extremely likely that I’d end up heavily resculpting him.
  • Both Maun and Decapitation Strike seem so good that they are ‘must-haves’. I have spent the last few years playing Deathwing and I hate having my army decisions made for me. I’d really like to find a way of using them that breaks this stereotype.

2.       Sons of Horus

• Absolutely beautiful schemes, upgrade packs and general style. The whole pack, from Lunar Wolf to Son to Reaver is gorgeous and I could get into every aspect of that.
  • I like the aggression behind their fluff and the increased allowance for Drop Pods. I’d expect to be using a fair few Dreadclaws.
  • Love Maloghurst and Reavers. He also gives you Veterans without burning a Rite, which is just perfect for what I want. A whole mess of sneaking, Rending/Banestrike sharpshooters.

• Notoriously weak on the table. I try not to let it bother me but it does. I feel like I’d have to be playing hard every time to even stand a fair chance against the bigger Legions ‘fluffy’ lists. Let’s not even get started on the Justaerin.
  • Horus is beautiful but so expensive and so slow. It’s a good excuse to paint him but I can’t imagine ever using him in-game.
  • As before, I don’t like Maloghurst being so good that he turns up every time. I can always get by with a Delegatus but I’d know that I was handicapping an already-limited army list.

For what it’s worth, I’d like to go with a fairly elite, Veteran-heavy style that only engages part of the enemy at a time. Whether that be from Infiltrate or Pods I really don’t mind, but I’d definitely prefer to run Veterans over Tacticals. I’d like to keep the army as fast as possible with a decent vehicle element. Definitely try to avoid artillery, Rapiers and infantry blobs where possible.

I’d also like to make the army a bit ‘flashy’ if I can, going very heavy on freehands and decoration. Finally, I’d like to take an allied contingent from the Imperial Army; Militia for the Sons, or Auxilia for the Ravens.

Any help would be grand.

Hi all,

I've skirted around this thread for the better part of a year and at this point, I'll take any advice I can get. Same story as always, I've got 2 favourite Legions and could really use some help picking between them.

1.       Raven Guard

• Love the mentality of ‘Reasonable Marines’ and their approach of being humanist, but still doing the dirty jobs when needed.
  • Love the flexibility afforded by Infiltrate and Drop Pods. Very keen on playing a more mobile army with Hit & Run rather than a meatblob.
  • Love Mor Deythan, Furies and Alvarex. Also while not exclusively-Raven, I also have a soft spot for Deathstorms.

• Not a negative as such, but I would paint them very differently to the stock. I find pure-black a bit boring so would go extremely happy with the tribal tattoos and what I can only describe as racing stripes. Lots of yellows and reds to bring it out a bit.
  • Corax is my favourite Primarch rules-wise but I don’t like the models preview. I’m hoping that paint will improve it but it’s extremely likely that I’d end up heavily resculpting him.
  • Both Maun and Decapitation Strike seem so good that they are ‘must-haves’. I have spent the last few years playing Deathwing and I hate having my army decisions made for me. I’d really like to find a way of using them that breaks this stereotype.

2.       Sons of Horus

• Absolutely beautiful schemes, upgrade packs and general style. The whole pack, from Lunar Wolf to Son to Reaver is gorgeous and I could get into every aspect of that.
  • I like the aggression behind their fluff and the increased allowance for Drop Pods. I’d expect to be using a fair few Dreadclaws.
  • Love Maloghurst and Reavers. He also gives you Veterans without burning a Rite, which is just perfect for what I want. A whole mess of sneaking, Rending/Banestrike sharpshooters.

• Notoriously weak on the table. I try not to let it bother me but it does. I feel like I’d have to be playing hard every time to even stand a fair chance against the bigger Legions ‘fluffy’ lists. Let’s not even get started on the Justaerin.
  • Horus is beautiful but so expensive and so slow. It’s a good excuse to paint him but I can’t imagine ever using him in-game.
  • As before, I don’t like Maloghurst being so good that he turns up every time. I can always get by with a Delegatus but I’d know that I was handicapping an already-limited army list.

For what it’s worth, I’d like to go with a fairly elite, Veteran-heavy style that only engages part of the enemy at a time. Whether that be from Infiltrate or Pods I really don’t mind, but I’d definitely prefer to run Veterans over Tacticals. I’d like to keep the army as fast as possible with a decent vehicle element. Definitely try to avoid artillery, Rapiers and infantry blobs where possible.

I’d also like to make the army a bit ‘flashy’ if I can, going very heavy on freehands and decoration. Finally, I’d like to take an allied contingent from the Imperial Army; Militia for the Sons, or Auxilia for the Ravens.

Any help would be grand.

Something to think about for the allies, but the Sons of Horus actually have allied Solar Aux formations called the Cthonian Headhunters. And FW is making decals for them. And they're battle brothers with Imperial Army, whereas the Raven Guard are not :P

I'd also say you might be underestimating how competitive the Sons of Horus can be, and I'll let users with experience like Marshal Loss or the other fine folks in the Sons of Horus tactica thread do the convincing for you. Although you're not wrong about the Justaerin. However, it seems likely that they'll get a points reduction this year with a new red book edition so that might change completely. Horus is no slower than any other Primarch except Curze, Corax and Mortarion? You can always throw him in a Dreadclaw if you're worried about mobility.

So, pulled the trigger on Betrayal at Calth and finally jumping into 30K after wanting to forevor (Buddy and I are starting 30K as our New Year Armies). The debate: Alpha Legion or Emperor's Children

Both Legions: 

• Fluff (So really null when it comes to deciding)
  • Color Scheme is unique/challenge to me

Alpha Legion:

• Color Scheme would be a huge challenge for me especially as I dive more into Airbrushing and just in general with the idea I have. This is also the problem...intimidation coupled with the fact that I already have a blue Eldar army and play Space Wolves so the Tourquise/Blue green would be kind of similiar in a way. I also feel that it would take a while to get a system down.
  • Unique Units seem usefull and usable all around as opposed to EC's being very paticular, almost Aspect Warrior es but Close Combat against other Marines wise
  • 'Mutable Tactic' is awesome along with 'Coils of the Hydra' and what Alpharius brings to the table.
  • Power Daggers, Venom Spheres...
  • They cause havoc amongst the enemy.
  • Easy to justify them fighting whoever. 
  • Biggest Fear is army of 30K standard Legion with sprinkle of these Unique Units.

Emperor's Children:

• Color scheme would be unique, especiall for me, and a good change of sight. 
  • Their Unique Units are cool, characterful, but all geared towards just killing other basic Marines
  • Special Characters don't fancy me too much
  • Fluff note: LOVE the fall from grace thing
  • Want to eventually do a Chaos Space Marine army and would definitely do Emperor's Children if I were to and have a cool segway and dual purpose with the 30K army.
  • I like Slaanesh
  • Eventually having deamons would be cool
  • Feel like Emperor's Children will be constantly expanded on in the future

Also, after reading this Topic I have recently heard of Book 6 maybe expanding on these two Legions so maybe then I would be convinced either way too. Just want to see what you guys all think and input from actual players of 30K. I have done a lot of research I just keep going back and forth. The 30K models I do have are suffering because I am paint testing both and hurting inside as these are not cheap models.

Regardless I am getting BaC and some units I know I want so model wise that will be set. For refrence I play Eldar and Space Wolves if that helps. I want something different in a way. 

Thanks a lot everyone! Look forward to your inputs.

So, pulled the trigger on Betrayal at Calth and finally jumping into 30K after wanting to forevor (Buddy and I are starting 30K as our New Year Armies). The debate: Alpha Legion or Emperor's Children

Both Legions: 

• Fluff (So really null when it comes to deciding)
  • Color Scheme is unique/challenge to me

Alpha Legion:

• Color Scheme would be a huge challenge for me especially as I dive more into Airbrushing and just in general with the idea I have. This is also the problem...intimidation coupled with the fact that I already have a blue Eldar army and play Space Wolves so the Tourquise/Blue green would be kind of similiar in a way. I also feel that it would take a while to get a system down.
  • Unique Units seem usefull and usable all around as opposed to EC's being very paticular, almost Aspect Warrior es but Close Combat against other Marines wise
  • 'Mutable Tactic' is awesome along with 'Coils of the Hydra' and what Alpharius brings to the table.
  • Power Daggers, Venom Spheres...
  • They cause havoc amongst the enemy.
  • Easy to justify them fighting whoever. 
  • Biggest Fear is army of 30K standard Legion with sprinkle of these Unique Units.

Emperor's Children:

• Color scheme would be unique, especiall for me, and a good change of sight. 
  • Their Unique Units are cool, characterful, but all geared towards just killing other basic Marines
  • Special Characters don't fancy me too much
  • Fluff note: LOVE the fall from grace thing
  • Want to eventually do a Chaos Space Marine army and would definitely do Emperor's Children if I were to and have a cool segway and dual purpose with the 30K army.
  • I like Slaanesh
  • Eventually having deamons would be cool
  • Feel like Emperor's Children will be constantly expanded on in the future

Also, after reading this Topic I have recently heard of Book 6 maybe expanding on these two Legions so maybe then I would be convinced either way too. Just want to see what you guys all think and input from actual players of 30K. I have done a lot of research I just keep going back and forth. The 30K models I do have are suffering because I am paint testing both and hurting inside as these are not cheap models.

Regardless I am getting BaC and some units I know I want so model wise that will be set. For refrence I play Eldar and Space Wolves if that helps. I want something different in a way. 

Thanks a lot everyone! Look forward to your inputs.

Join the III break the norm. Join our perfection and Slaanesh will gift you with perfect models......(having just joined up with the Emperor's Children having similar motives painting wise and have not regretted it! purple is quite fun to paint.

~Sapphon

I am having trouble deciding on a legion and was wanting information on the Luna Wolves. Does anyone play a LW army? I'm just afraid that it will be too bland same with the other army I am thinking about with the Iron Warriors.

You somewhat limit yourself if you play as a pre-Heresy traitor army, but like most things it is what you make of it. Many competitive lists do not rely on legion specific units, but many rely on special characters who would be sorely missed. If you play Luna Wolves you will most likely be missing out on your primarch, but can still create a fun and deadly force.

Brothers I'm struggling, santa got me 2 b@c boxes.

After many tests from my legion shortlist and now I'm down to two that won't drive me crazy and that also paint quickly.

They're both wip, more to test the base armour colour with a little of the other colours added to see what effect it has (the other colours have no shading or highlighting added).

So which would you choose?

gallery_32173_10716_43856.jpg

gallery_32173_10716_478074.jpg

gallery_32173_10716_158011.jpg

Both schemes look really fantastic. The dark metallics on the Fist really make the yellow pop, and if I was going by paint schemes as they are now I'd probably lean towards the Fist.

But this world needs more XIIth Legion! Go World Eaters and never look back :P

Looks good. I was a bit concerned that the World Eater originally looked like it had been undercoated white and given a semi-Ultramarine treatment in the blue armour and the red cloak. Maybe a darker colour for either of those to move away from that? Other than that, the metallic edging has really given the white a finished look. Is there anything aside from the colour scheme that's giving you bother in choosing which army to go for?

I wouldn't do the red cloak again, in fairness I don't see eaters as bothering with cloaks anyway.

In terms of choosing I'm strongly drawn to both legions.

My marine armies are templars and crimson fists, but when I play I don't care who wins as long as there's a big bodycount lol

Favourite band is korn, favourite hh models are Khârn and angron. But there's always been something about fists...

See the dilemma? Lol

The only difficult part for eaters is modelling chainaxes on b@c minis.

I wouldn't do the red cloak again, in fairness I don't see eaters as bothering with cloaks anyway.

In terms of choosing I'm strongly drawn to both legions.

My marine armies are templars and crimson fists, but when I play I don't care who wins as long as there's a big bodycount lol

Favourite band is korn, favourite hh models are Khârn and angron. But there's always been something about fists...

See the dilemma? Lol

The only difficult part for eaters is modelling chainaxes on b@c minis.

Sounds to me like you're ready to take skulls for the skull throne...

Why don't you paint up the first box as the two armies: you can still play the boxed game that way, it seems quite fun; plus it might give you a better feel of which one you might prefer...

Time is the main issue stopping me doing both.

Work a long hours job (with commuting) and have four kids, free time is in short supply, so I have to make the most of it when I get to paint.

Gonna look at them in daylight, see if it helps any.

If I may burden this thread with another post.

As a bit of introduction and background to this post, I played Word Bearers in 3rd Iron Warriors in 4th ed. Quit fully for a good few years (playing Fantasy and other systems), and have flirted with 40K recently because a large portion of my friends are. Like me they just couldn't stick with 40K (I abortively tried Tau and Guard), and have moved wholly to 30K. I find the setting lovely, interesting rules and feel its got the love 40K once had. My issue is when I go on to ask for your advice is that while I am an experienced war-gamer, I'm effectively new to playing 40k/30k rule set.

That said, I'm looking to start a new army based on a 'Vertical Envelopment' tactic; drop ships and troop transporting gunships. First because no one I know does one, second I have done tank/mechanised armies to death over the years. Also an aggressive, deep striking force will mess with the often 'old style/gun line' armies played by others, I feel.

I've been reading the books and simply I cant decide given how much choice there is. I like all the legions is one way or another. So my question is, given your larger experience, what Legion would you suggest? And possibly, how could I go about it/force composition?

My only proviso is I hate painting black as a main colour, so I'm discounting Iron hands and Raven Guard.

As a bit of introduction and background to this post, I played Word Bearers in 3rd Iron Warriors in 4th ed. Quit fully for a good few years (playing Fantasy and other systems), and have flirted with 40K recently because a large portion of my friends are. Like me they just couldn't stick with 40K (I abortively tried Tau and Guard), and have moved wholly to 30K. I find the setting lovely, interesting rules and feel its got the love 40K once had. My issue is when I go on to ask for your advice is that while I am an experienced war-gamer, I'm effectively new to playing 40k/30k rule set.

That said, I'm looking to start a new army based on a 'Vertical Envelopment' tactic; drop ships and troop transporting gunships. First because no one I know does one, second I have done tank/mechanised armies to death over the years. Also an aggressive, deep striking force will mess with the often 'old style/gun line' armies played by others, I feel.

I've been reading the books and simply I cant decide given how much choice there is. I like all the legions is one way or another. So my question is, given your larger experience, what Legion would you suggest? And possibly, how could I go about it/force composition?

My only proviso is I hate painting black as a main colour, so I'm discounting Iron hands and Raven Guard.

That's unfortunate because the Raven Guard make incredibly good use of those tactics :P

Look into Night Lords and Sons of Horus, then. We're not sure on the Blood Angels' 30k rules but we'll know in about 30 days and I think it's pretty much a certainty that their rules will also work well with that kind of list.

NL do great with podding lists in particular and players frequently back those up with flyers, while the Sons of Horus have a bonus to reserves coming on for their infantry units even if they're embarked (such as in a Storm Eagle gunship or in a drop pod). 

Firstly, welcome to the Bolter and Chainsword, secondly, welcome to the Heresy Train: beware! it has NO BRAKES !!!

I think LetsYouDown has hit the nail on the head here: SoH and NL seem to be the most "Deep-strikey", at least from a fluff point of view. Plus both colour schemes are absolutely beautiful :) Blood Angels might also be good here.

Also, the red rulebooks are set for an update in the recent future, so keep an eye out for those.

My next bit however might not seem very helpful: keep in mind that all Legions can do a lot of the same things, there aren't any that can't Alpha Strike in some form. To help any legion do this, there's a generic Rite of War (Orbital Assault) that allows for more leeway in this tactic. So don't restrict yourself to one of the aforementionned Legions: pick a mentality and colour that will suit you as well. If that corresponds to one of them more then the others, run with it.

I'm debating whether or not to start my Blood Angels now, and do a different army in the interim, or do Blood Angels totally blind. What do you guys think? I'm trying to pick out the second army, but it's kind of hard. I'd prefer an Imperial Army or AdMech army, so I can use it for either side, so I'd probably start with that.

Imperial Army:

• HUGE model variety
  • Tons of different ways to run the two lists
  • Tanks, tanks and more tanks!
  • Good 40k cross-overs

AdMech:

• Badcensored.gif space robots with lasers
  • Nice variety in the Archmagos/Magos Prime
  • I can use the Knights as Questoris Familia as well
  • Pretty powerful, but not OP
  • One of the cheaper armies to run

What do you guys think I should pick? IA or AdMech? They'd be allies to a tank-intensive Blood Angels force, so a tank-y army or a Tech-Thrall army w/ heavy support would fit.

Well from a fluff perspective blood angels haven't had a good reputation with the ad mech due to that whole Baal pred issue. I kinda feel like the ad mech would suite you. In mind the blood angels have always been about going fast and the ad mech can keep up with you. Also they don't suffer much from being taken as allies. Mamy be focus on thallax and the vehicle side.

However if you want to spam the very living crap out of tanks then the solar auxilia are for you. If you want to you can have 9 leman russes and 2 super vindidcarors in an allied detachment.

Also I think we are battle brothers with the imperial army right? We haven't become those guys who kill a bunch of our allies like our 40k selves.

... ok, I'm going to confess, this isn't for my primary legion... but brothers, I am having... troubles. I'm considering... a second legion army. My Deathguard have 1500 points waiting to be assembled and painted, and I will focus on them, but I want to consider a second legion.

As for whom... uh, well, that's the question isn't it? I'm considering waiting for Thousand Sons, Dark Angels and the like to get their rules before I pick, this is all future stuff. I have a Chaos Army (Word Bearers) and I'd rather not repeat, and my Legion army is Death Guard... but I also love the Thousand Sons and the World Eaters.

Ok, let me run down the list of who I like

-Thousand Sons (would not be considered unless I liked them so much, not enthused about having two red armies)

-World Eaters (Mostly for the models. Love the Red Butchers. Also a totally different style to my Death Guard)

-Raven Guard (I've never really done a Jump Pack heavy army before, and I understand they specialize in it.)

-Emperor's Children (Big fan mostly, already going to get some Phoenix Spears for my CSM army.)

-Night Lords (Different, colour scheme is different, etc)

-Alpha Legion (See above)

-Iron Hands (A holdover from Slipstream's suggestions when I picked DG. Jetbikes)

Yes, I know, half the legions are there almost. I like the Heresy Era.

The other option is continue working on my DG, but that's not hard. 5 more Deathshroud, round the Tactical Squads to 20, and get a Heavy Support Squad or two.

Hum, a lot of diversity here. One question that may need an answer is: do you want this second legion to be allied with or enemies of your death guard, or do you want them to be able to do both (eg black shields); follow up question, are your death guard loyalist our traitor?

These questions might help you find the allegiance of the new army, so you can then try and toy sound with different fluff concepts for the second army.

Off the bat, I'd recommend doing something quite different from your primary army, so I'd stay away from the iron hands. That leaves a lot of other possibilities of course, but from the tone of your messages, emperors children and thousand sons seem to come out on top

Death Guard are traitor and they're pretty much, bar one Spartan, entirely foot based. Everything else in the army is a walker or infantry, and I have one Walker. 

And honestly, I have no idea what my new alligence will be, althugh I may go for what's interesting for me, like Traitor Iron Hands to use an example.

Archived