The Legion for you... Community Assistance Thread

Hyaenidae

That could be pretty cool tbh, I can't say I've seen many traitors from loyal legions, but traitor iron hands could be even more distinctive

To be honest, it's an idea born of my Biker lord/Sorcerer for my Chaos Army, a renegade Iron Hands turned Dark Mechanicus.

Hi all, you've no doubt seen me around here, posting in most of the legion tactica threads, proposing army lists and giving out and taking advice... But I suppose it's finally time for me to pose the ultimate question.

Ive thus far narrowed it down to the following:

Death Guard: Chem warfare and no fear. Love the fluff except that they are eventually traitor. Thier overall rules and unique units lack a little punch too, but the reaping is an awesome RoW.

Iron Warriors: love the models and how they wage war. Perturabo is a stunning miniature with some killer rules to boot. Again traitor though, but in a good way (little to no chaosy stuff). Also missile vomit. How the siege tyrant models look/are priced may well sway me to these.

Alpha Legion: love the versatility and meta gaming potential. Also a nice change in colour. Models also fantastic. Alpharius (when he arrives) could sway me. Current RoW is a little lacking though.

Iron Hands: both an old and new contender, when I first got into the Heresy these were my favourite but the death of Ferrus made that not the case. Black is always cool though. Unique models are all there and powerful. Some of the best basic rules and RoW. Also very intriguing fluff because while not going traitor they do go crazy.

For background I do BA in 40k with drop pods and jumpers so trying to branch out from that. Maybe book 6 will come and just shake this up but we'll see!

I recommend Iron Hands. They aren't jumpy, but they are Loyalists and cool enough that you might enjoy their more durable mechanized play style.

They are my current leaning. Plus they lend themselves to my sketchy and dirty painting style.

Also thier FW support is incredible. So many models and accessories to theme them.

Hi all, you've no doubt seen me around here, posting in most of the legion tactica threads, proposing army lists and giving out and taking advice... But I suppose it's finally time for me to pose the ultimate question.

Death Guard: Chem warfare and no fear. Love the fluff except that they are eventually traitor. Thier overall rules and unique units lack a little punch too, but the reaping is an awesome RoW.

Iron Warriors: love the models and how they wage war. Perturabo is a stunning miniature with some killer rules to boot. Again traitor though, but in a good way (little to no chaosy stuff). Also missile vomit. How the siege tyrant models look/are priced may well sway me to these.

Alpha Legion: love the versatility and meta gaming potential. Also a nice change in colour. Models also fantastic. Alpharius (when he arrives) could sway me. Current RoW is a little lacking though.

Iron Hands: both an old and new contender, when I first got into the Heresy these were my favourite but the death of Ferrus made that not the case. Black is always cool though. Unique models are all there and powerful. Some of the best basic rules and RoW. Also very intriguing fluff because while not going traitor they do go crazy.

For background I do BA in 40k with drop pods and jumpers so trying to branch out from that. Maybe book 6 will come and just shake this up but we'll see!

I think the default recommendation right now is "wait until after the weekender." The new RoWs are sure to become a huge new source of inspiration and change a lot of opinions. You also might be able to get away with all of the above depending on how the Shattered Legions list works. 

And you mention a few units that could sway you depending on how they look... these are totally units we could see previewed at the weekender (maybe even Alpharius), so. 

I am personally thinking you should go Iron Hands though, after seeing your painting testers for the XIVth. You do a good gritty black that would look fantastic on the iron Xth. If you want to start working right away and can't wait 3 weeks for the weekender, some IH could at least make a cool shattered legion force base or allies to something you decide to commit to later.

I think the default recommendation right now is "wait until after the weekender." The new RoWs are sure to become a huge new source of inspiration and change a lot of opinions. You also might be able to get away with all of the above depending on how the Shattered Legions list works. 

And you mention a few units that could sway you depending on how they look... these are totally units we could see previewed at the weekender (maybe even Alpharius), so. 

I am personally thinking you should go Iron Hands though, after seeing your painting testers for the XIVth. You do a good gritty black that would look fantastic on the iron Xth. If you want to start working right away and can't wait 3 weeks for the weekender, some IH could at least make a cool shattered legion force base or allies to something you decide to commit to later.

I appreciate the compliment on the painting, so thanks!

Yeah, I think i'm going to wait until the weekender. Hopefully we'll see the Meduson rules - it's rumoured hes usable in RG/Sa/ IH forces in any of thier RoW etc, could be sweet!

Honestly to take what I said before in a different direction, I may consider going for an Emperor's Children Army. I've always loved the legion, truth be told, and Slaanesh as a whole. I even bought some Paletine Blades to be ysed both as squad sergeants for my Noise Marines and Slaaneshi chosen.

Actually, now that I've had a few days to think on how I'd want to make my next army different than my Death Guard Legion (Mostly Ground Troops with one Spartan and a Dredero) and my Chaos Space Marine Army (No consistant theme, but lots of armor in it), I started thinking along three lines.

-What Legions are, as of now, best suited for an all Terminator Army?

-What Legions are, as of now, best suited for a Speedy Army?

-What Legions are- no, wait, a mostly psychic army is kinda obvious, that's gonna be the Thousand Sons.

Thoughts?

Actually, now that I've had a few days to think on how I'd want to make my next army different than my Death Guard Legion (Mostly Ground Troops with one Spartan and a Dredero) and my Chaos Space Marine Army (No consistant theme, but lots of armor in it), I started thinking along three lines.

-What Legions are- no, wait, a mostly psychic army is kinda obvious, that's gonna be the Thousand Sons.

Thoughts?

As you already have DG, then i would suggest Iron Warriors with Grulgor.. loads of shooty terminators :) 

Speedy, well White Scars are going to be speedy.. soon.. >.> 

If you want a psychic army that isn't TS then Word Bearers?

Hmm I'm in the same boat when it comes to wanting a speedy army.

1: your best bet Is the iron warriors, have you ever wanted terminators with actual heavy firepower? Well now you can have them! There's a reason it's called rocket vomit. Otherwise you can go ahead and use grulgor with orbital assualt. You've now got a list full of deepstrikijg terminators. Otherwise there's always the imperial fists and night lords who can offer deepstriking terminators. Of those two I would probalby take the IF who can have storm shields and assualt cannons.

2: For the speediest army that it's a little hard to figure out. Whites scars are definetly going to be fast so there worth checking out. I would try out maybe the raven guard or emperors children. Both of them are highly mobile in different ways. The EC have the crusader special rule to help with getting to the enemy faster as well as there ROW which gives you the option to outflank certain units and literally prohibits you from taking slow units. There special unit, the palatines also can purchase jump packs.

The raven guard have access to infiltrate with their basic troops and drop pods with decapitiation strike. There more about alpha striking and getting in the perfect place to deliver a hard blow to the enemy however. They also love jump pack troops and there furies are one of the best JP units in the game.

3: For the best psyker army it's the word bearers at the most due though that's mainly due to lorgar. You could all of your hqs the psychic power thing and then ally in deamons for even more tzeentch daemons. You could then run belakor to get automatic invisibility on a spartan star with lorgar and gal Vorbak, but this is the path of the cheese.

I would definetly wait to see what the white scars get because they were renowned for there psykers I believe.

Hope this helped!

Try not to spread this around, but I do have a small Death Guard loyalist project going.  Crysos Morturg, with the prodigal son Nathanial Garro are two awesome Death Guard loyalist leaders.  It's basically a soon to be Grey Knights, Death Guard force. 

As for unique rules/RoW we will get some new ones in the next book in February.

That last question...If you include the "as of now", then it's probably not the Thousand Sons. I hear Word Bearers can get the most psykers and ally with Daemons. 

Thousand Sons will be better when they actually get rules, but as of now, they can field as many psykers as other legions...I think.

That last question...If you include the "as of now", then it's probably not the Thousand Sons. I hear Word Bearers can get the most psykers and ally with Daemons. 

Thousand Sons will be better when they actually get rules, but as of now, they can field as many psykers as other legions...I think.

Oh, I know that. I've decided I'm waiting til the next book is out first.

Being fair, a DG can be all of those things. They get Heavy Support Terminators, and HQ slot Terminators. Morturg gives 3 units Infiltrate, and is a Psyker and allows 2 Librarian allies. Taking Telekinesis lets you have a chance at rolling Levitate for 12" free movement a turn.

Tactical Squads in Rhinos can be rather fast, as can Drop Podded units. and with Terminators taking up your Heavies and Elites, you'll need some adequate AT; Land Speeders with Graviton and Javelins provide some decent AT when Podded 'Noughts, Medusa and Rapier Guns are not available.

• 2 weeks later...

Is choosing your first HH army the best Dilemma to have?

I have decided I would like to play a more Melee orientated force, regardless of shooting being king in recent editions. World Eaters and Emperors Children seem the most likely preferred choices for me would rather play traitor than loyalist. I will go through the pro's and con's on my feeling towards both legions and hopefully make a judgement on the feedback.

World Eaters

Pros: Rage + Hatred = yum

Red Butchers look great

Khârn!

The weathered and bloody look.

Conversion possibilities with AoS Blood Reavers kits etc

Cons: Getting hold of, buying, sourcing a multitude of chainaxes

Rampager models look poor in comparison to most FW sculpts

Angron's rules feel dated, angry glass cannon? 5 wounds?

Some reliance on big blobs, and large transports.

Cadre weapons feel over-costed.

Emperors Children

Pros: Tactical flexibility with legion RoW

Palatine Blades look exquisite

I 5 in some area's + Phoenix Spears have AP2 on I (first round only)

Regal looks, possible use for GW BA parts for conversions.

Lots of fast attack/outflanking options

Cons: Crusaders is good but lackluster compared to some legion traits perhaps?

Must take challenges is a bit of a pro and con depending on how you look at it.

No Lucius! and tarvitz is a bit of a clustercensored.gif rules wise

Phoenix Guard.. how much?

Cacaphonie look lackluster

Is choosing your first HH army the best Dilemma to have?

I have decided I would like to play a more Melee orientated force, regardless of shooting being king in recent editions. World Eaters and Emperors Children seem the most likely preferred choices for me would rather play traitor than loyalist. I will do through the pro's and con's on my feeling towards both legions and hopefully make a judgement on the feedback.

World Eaters

Pros: Rage + Hatred = yum

Red Butchers look great

Khârn!

The weathered and bloody look.

Conversion possibilities with AoS Blood Reavers kits etc

Cons: Getting hold of, buying, sourcing a multitude of chainaxes

Rampager models look poor in comparison to most FW sculpts

Angron's rules feel dated, angry glass cannon? 5 wounds?

Some reliance on big blobs, and large transports.

Cadre weapons feel over-costed.

Emperors Children

Pros: Tactical flexibility with legion RoW

Palatine Blades look exquisite

I 5 in some area's + Phoenix Spears have AP2 on I (first round only)

Regal looks, possible use for GW BA parts for conversions.

Lots of fast attack/outflanking options

Cons: Crusaders is good but lackluster compared to some legion traits perhaps?

Must take challenges is a bit of a pro and con depending on how you look at it.

No Lucius! and tarvitz is a bit of a clustercensored.gif rules wise

Phoenix Guard.. how much?

Cacaphonie look lackluster

It's always possible to do traitor loyalists ;)

Have a look over in the news and rumour thread, since the Horus Heresy weekender is here, and the new rites of war might change your perceptions of some things.

Out of curiosity is there any requirements for fielding a loyalist legion as a band of traitors like the Iron Hands? Like would having the eye of Horus help or some sort of chaos sign as I am really tempted to make my Iron Hands a band of traitors though still coming up for a believable reason they would turn traitor as well as showing they are traitors

Out of curiosity is there any requirements for fielding a loyalist legion as a band of traitors like the Iron Hands? Like would having the eye of Horus help or some sort of chaos sign as I am really tempted to make my Iron Hands a band of traitors though still coming up for a believable reason they would turn traitor as well as showing they are traitors

It's your lucky day sir, for forgeworld has answered your question with a new row which allows you to run a loyalist legion as traitors. Bask in the glory my traitor iron hand!

From a fluff perspective I could totally see it, after ferrus manus dies they see he is weak along with the imperium and choose horus.

I must see traitor iron hands now!

It's your lucky day sir, for forgeworld has answered your question with a new row which allows you to run a loyalist legion as traitors. Bask in the glory my traitor iron hand!

From a fluff perspective I could totally see it, after ferrus manus dies they see he is weak along with the imperium and choose horus.

I must see traitor iron hands now!

That is awesome I wonder what the ROW does I'll have to check out the HH Weekender post , how would one actually show/make a traitor force look different from their loyalist counterparts model wise at least?

Honestly? Its up to you.

They can look exactly the same as when they were loyalists or they could forsake their Legion/Company/Chapter heraldry in favor of the Eye of Horus or something else.

And to add to what Slipstreams said, you don't need to take the RoW either, the choice of loyalist or traitor is up to you. If the Thousand Sons don't end up being up to my standard, I plan on playing up as a traitorous splinter of a Loyal Legion. The books have made it clear that these types did exist, and stuff like the Shattered Legions and Blackshields could be used to represent an alliance of traitorous warbands or a group that just decided to outright go rogue instead of being on either side.

Archived