Raven Guard Horus Heresy Books

Vile Siren

Got to agree entirely with Knight of the Raven. Deliverance Lost isn't really that bad a book but the very large retcon within it annoyed me greatly. The whole point of Corax's story is that driven by grief, anguish and a desire for vengeance he fell to a similar kind of hubris to Magnus. He started tinkering with things that he shouldn't have and ended up almost destroying his legion in the process and actually destroying himself mentally. The idea of having to walk through a tower of wailing monsters, ending their lives one by one with your own hands, knowing that they were once men and you are the reason for their downfall is highly evocative and explains why Corax fled into the Eye.

Now we're left with yet another example of Alpha Legion 1337ness, a total destruction of what was one of the coolest Primarch stories and we've gained very little from it. There's next to no emotion benefit or storyline benefit from the Alpha Legion being behind it except for giving the Alpha Legion something to do and pushing their story on a little bit. Both of which could have been done with an original storyline rather than ruining an existing one.

It's a shame because with Angels of Darkness he nailed the Dark Angels and gave them so much depth and then a decade later he's just stripped layers off the Raven Guard and Corax's portrayal.

There's an easy way to simulate the experience of reading Deliverance Lost without paying for the book:

1. Open a door.

2. Place one hand against the frame, take hold of the doorknob with the other.

3.Slam the door on your hand as hard as you can, open it, then slam it on your hand again. Repeat the process 5 times.

There! Now you have the experience of reading DL in a fraction of the time it would take to slog through the novel.

I am Alpharius.

ahem. 

Anyway, yeah, agree with the whole changing of Corax stuff. I almost liked the Alpha legion stuff but might have preferred it if it was just "what they did", no grander mission, just HUMINT stuff. And the Deliverance scenes were good. 

The one I did not like was Soulforge. eeesh. Tediously written and absent any spark or humanity. 

I think there's a further disconnect. I have my vision of the Raven Guard, based on the whole sneaky-beaky side of things, and this ethos and tactics are pretty much not compatible with all but a Jeremy-Beadle-handful of other legions. Something grates, when you try to combine the two. 

Archived