The Talon Of Horus

The Emperor's Children are represented prominently.

Sure you don't want to read it?

It's tempting. I assume it has to do mostly with the Slave Wars, which doesn't get a lot of information about it.

It probably would be tempting, to read about your favored faction when they were at their height. The most dominant of the Nine. The most powerful. The ones who killed the Sons of Horus, who once stood mightiest of all, at the moment of execution.

Yeah, that could be seen as tempting.

It probably would be tempting, to read about your favored faction when they were at their height. The most dominant of the Nine. The most powerful. The ones who killed the Sons of Horus, who once stood mightiest of all, at the moment of execution.

On the other hand, this is also when the Emperors Children are shattered, they go hand and hand with one another, while I know ADB is a good writer i'm unsure if it'll be what i'd like to see. Ultimately, i'd rather like to see the Slave Wars and it's aftermath through an EC soldiers PoV then a Black Legion one

Ultimately, the book is about Abaddon after all, and it'll be colored by his perspectives.

Anything major lorewise that happens or something cool that shows up? I don't really care for the Black Legion, not enough to read about them anyway, but if there's something particularly interesting in there...

It's not just the Black Legion. The Black Legion are barely in it, this early on. It's Chaos Marine, Daemon, and Warp lore. That's not a selling point or to entice you to buy it; that's just what it is.

At first I was confused that you asked, as I was 99.9% certain (and even checked, like a cheater) that I'd seen you in almost every thread where a lot of the major lore stuff has been discussed in the last few weeks, so I wasn't sure what else on top of all of that there was left to expect. (And I don't mean that in a snippy way, I mean it purely in the sense that a lot of the "Chaos functions like this" stuff that's come up lately has a bunch of references to Talon.) Like, this direct reference in the How Do You View the Chaos Gods thread, f'rex - which you totally replied to, and so on.

Plenty of major things happen lore-wise, but that depends on what your definition of "major" is. It's Chaos Marine, Daemon, Eye of Terror, and Warp lore. That'll excite some people, and bore others out of their skulls. 

On the other hand, this is also when the Emperors Children are shattered, they go hand and hand with one another, while I know ADB is a good writer i'm unsure if it'll be what i'd like to see. Ultimately, i'd rather like to see the Slave Wars and it's aftermath through an EC soldiers PoV then a Black Legion one

Ultimately, the book is about Abaddon after all, and it'll be colored by his perspectives.

Naw. If you go into it wanting that, you'll likely be disappointed. Like hoping a dog will meow, etc. But you're not expecting said canine to meow, and you know it's not going to, which makes you a sane and reasonable reader, who I like immensely.

Although, as an aside, the first book's not exactly about Abaddon. It's about a bunch of Chaos Marines searching for and eventually finding Abaddon, setting up the beginning of the Black Legion in the next novel.

Anything major lorewise that happens or something cool that shows up? I don't really care for the Black Legion, not enough to read about them anyway, but if there's something particularly interesting in there...

It's not just the Black Legion. The Black Legion are barely in it, this early on. It's Chaos Marine, Daemon, and Warp lore. That's not a selling point or to entice you to buy it; that's just what it is.

At first I was confused that you asked, as I was 99.9% certain (and even checked, like a cheater) that I'd seen you in almost every thread where a lot of the major lore stuff has been discussed in the last few weeks, so I wasn't sure what else on top of all of that there was left to expect. (And I don't mean that in a snippy way, I mean it purely in the sense that a lot of the "Chaos functions like this" stuff that's come up lately has a bunch of references to Talon.) Like, this direct reference in the How Do You View the Chaos Gods thread, f'rex - which you totally replied to, and so on.

Plenty of major things happen lore-wise, but that depends on what your definition of "major" is. It's Chaos Marine, Daemon, Eye of Terror, and Warp lore. That'll excite some people, and bore others out of their skulls. 

That is stuff i'd be interested in yes, and I was very interested in what Khayon had said. I simply did not know if that made up a meaty chunk of the book, or if it was largely about Abaddon and the Black Legion in it's entirety rather then details like that...after all it is called the Talon of Horus I don't precisely expect a lot of that stuff, though small components could certainly be part of it.

Cormac already touched on the other component i'm interested in, which would be the Slave Wars.

That is stuff i'd be interested in yes, and I was very interested in what Khayon had said. I simply did not know if that made up a meaty chunk of the book, or if it was largely about Abaddon and the Black Legion in it's entirety rather then details like that...after all it is called the Talon of Horus I don't precisely expect a lot of that stuff, though small components could certainly be part of it.

Cormac already touched on the other component i'm interested in, which would be the Slave Wars.

Yeah, I got distracted by your updated reply and answered that, instead of finishing my first thought. "At first I was confused you asked, and then OH LOOK A BIRD."

But high-lariousness aside, what I meant was that I thought you were in all the threads, before realising they were all pretty general mentions rather than specifics, etc. 

My original title was rejected (they always are), but in my heart just as Soul Hunter is really In Midnight Clad, this one is really Sailing Across the Eye of Terror Looking for Abaddon And We're Not Actually the Black Legion Yet. 

Yeah, I got distracted by your updated reply and answered that, instead of finishing my first thought. "At first I was confused you asked, and then OH LOOK A BIRD."

But high-lariousness aside, what I meant was that I thought you were in all the threads, before realising they were all pretty general mentions rather than specifics, etc. 

My original title was rejected (they always are), but in my heart just as Soul Hunter is really In Midnight Clad, this one is really Sailing Across the Eye of Terror Looking for Abaddon And We're Not Actually the Black Legion Yet. 

Yeah that would be something i'd be interested in reading about, I do very much enjoy Chaos Sorcerers and how they go about summoning the Neverborn and making their daemonic pacts, I often feel they don't get enough play(Especially Slaaneshi Chaos Sorcerers, who have a grand total of 0 major names in the fluff when Nurgle has at least four.So Warp lore would be up my alley. 

If you haven't noticed I have a tendency to spew out tons of information on any subject at the slightest provocation, sometimes I get something insightful, largely it's just garbage. :p So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if i'd have posted in about every single damn thread Talon of Horus references popped up.

At first I was confused that you asked, as I was 99.9% certain (and even checked, like a cheater) that I'd seen you in almost every thread where a lot of the major lore stuff has been discussed in the last few weeks, so I wasn't sure what else on top of all of that there was left to expect. (And I don't mean that in a snippy way, I mean it purely in the sense that a lot of the "Chaos functions like this" stuff that's come up lately has a bunch of references to Talon.) Like, this direct reference in the How Do You View the Chaos Gods thread, f'rex - which you totally replied to, and so on.

That is stuff i'd be interested in yes, and I was very interested in what Khayon had said. I simply did not know if that made up a meaty chunk of the book, or if it was largely about Abaddon and the Black Legion in it's entirety rather then details like that...after all it is called the Talon of Horus I don't precisely expect a lot of that stuff, though small components could certainly be part of it.

My original title was rejected (they always are), but in my heart just as Soul Hunter is really In Midnight Clad, this one is really Sailing Across the Eye of Terror Looking for Abaddon And We're Not Actually the Black Legion Yet.

Would you mind telling us what your original titles were?

Trivia for the Trivia God, and all that.

I think it's something I may check out after some thought, if only this and probably not the rest in the Black Legion series unless something else of the like comes up that i'd want to read about. Which is not to say that I wouldn't want to read it, but with limited time and limited funds(Particularly in this economy.) I prefer to keep a narrow focus towards things I find particularly relevant to my interests.

Usually something Slaaneshi and related to either the Emperors Children or Word Bearers.

I can kind of see why. That sort of overly specific title makes it sound a bit like a light novel. Although the example link seems to have been removed.

I can kind of see why. That sort of overly specific title makes it sound a bit like a light novel. Although the example link seems to have been removed.

I'm telling you, we can really get some groundswell around a visual/light novel A D-B game! 

"My original title was rejected (they always are), but in my heart just as Soul Hunter is really In Midnight Clad, this one is really Sailing Across the Eye of Terror Looking for Abaddon And We're Not Actually the Black Legion Yet." 

Yeah, I love this idea, like maybe like David Eggers meets early post-Horus Heresy mythos :)

Just a quick question for Mr. ADB, though.  Someone suggested a few comments back that Khayon, in talking to the Inquisition, is like a Hannibal Lecter figure, which definitely got my attention.  Was that what you were going for or did the commenter miss the boat?

Truth be told, I probably did :)

What got me thinking along those lines were mostly that he's an intelligent, highly cultured and immensely dangerous prisoner, who seems to be quite willing to share seemingly valuable information (and perhaps getting inside peoples' heads while doing so). But that's probably where the similarities end. I mean, he doesn't seem to be a homicidal maniac -not in the sense that he'll bite your face off given half a chance, anyway (I guess you could argue all Space Marines are homicidal maniacs in one way or the other, but you know what I mean...).

Much like Dervel in the Warlord Chronicles, Uhtred in the Saxon Stories, and Xeones in Gates of Fire, there are suggestions and allusions to why the narrator is telling their story (complete with reader speculation on the possibility of other, more "real" reasons) but an author explaining for definite and/or revealing the end would be pretty bizarre after only the first book.

I think I like the interpretation it's like Asubal Vect in the Torturers Tale, he's telling them something that may or may not be true largely to mess with them, except perhaps to throw them off their game then pure amusement.

Who knows? Maybe not even Khayon, only Abbadon.

I think it's something I may check out after some thought, if only this and probably not the rest in the Black Legion series unless something else of the like comes up that i'd want to read about. Which is not to say that I wouldn't want to read it, but with limited time and limited funds(Particularly in this economy.) I prefer to keep a narrow focus towards things I find particularly relevant to my interests.

Usually something Slaaneshi and related to either the Emperors Children or Word Bearers.

I love warp lore and technology, this book delivers a whole lot just brilliantly. Abaddons skills with technoarcana and warplore are described beautifully and worth the book just for that scene alone.

However, I don't want you to buy this book. I want to keep talking about how perfectly the characters are depicted and how ADB :cuss ing nailed Abaddons and made me believe again. So, keep asking why so we can keep saying how.

Its an awesome book BTW.

Much like Dervel in the Warlord Chronicles, Uhtred in the Saxon Stories, and Xeones in Gates of Fire, there are suggestions and allusions to why the narrator is telling their story (complete with reader speculation on the possibility of other, more "real" reasons) but an author explaining for definite and/or revealing the end would be pretty bizarre after only the first book.

What? You don't want to start a new trend?? (Seriously, that sounds like it'd be a headline in The Onion ("Fantasy Series Writer Decides to Explain Everything in Middle of Second Book").

Of course, your response makes perfect.  I think what I was really curious was the specific effect you were after - i.e. the mood in the interrogation rooms.  I thought that Hannibal Lecter effect made sense but was just curious I had a completely misunderstood the language (for instance, if the mood in that room was less threatening, less ominous, etc.).  It's a fascinating encounter to imagine and I'm sure more than a few of us fans would love the chance to foist our own fluffy understandings on the 40K mythos :)

I love warp lore and technology, this book delivers a whole lot just brilliantly. Abaddons skills with technoarcana and warplore are described beautifully and worth the book just for that scene alone.

However, I don't want you to buy this book. I want to keep talking about how perfectly the characters are depicted and how ADB censored.gif ing nailed Abaddons and made me believe again. So, keep asking why so we can keep saying how.

Its an awesome book BTW.

I didn't really think ADB would have a problem writing Abaddon, that said, i'm not terribly fond of the character.

And it's not because he's failbaddon or because of some flaw with his characterization, it's because he's an archetype I don't particularly enjoy. There's about three things I like about him: I like the concept of the long war and it's roots in manifest destiny, I like him as a mold for a champion of all four gods, and I like his topknot, no more and no less. I'm not much a fan of his antichrist characterization as the first amongst traitors nor do I like how far the character distances himself from the past, not because it's bad per say, but because I personally don't find it compelling.

One of the things I like about the Emperors Children is that they are connected to the past in a very strange way. Their name is a mockery of the Imperium as is their battle cry, and aside from renegade chapters they are probably the only traitors wearing a Aquila. They have taken their past and twisted it into a jest, I like that concept a lot more then simply destroying it.

Archived