The Talon Of Horus

Good news! It came today. Bad news, no special number as it is 0741 of 1500. Worse news, my Miskatonic University shirt is still missing in the mail. ohmy.png

OH EM GEE! that lovecraft reference <3 Where did you get it...I kinda need one.

Ok, so, about to read Talon of Horus.  Now, I am a fluff guy, meaning I don't play the game, so I do not use the codex's etc...  My question/s is this, the fluff around the Legion Wars and all that is....minimal.  I looked at the Lex, and didn't see much, so can someone explain when the legion wars were, or a timeline.  I figured it was after the Scouring.  Just some basic stuff as I feel like I am going to be lost.

That is pretty much it. When the Legions get locked away in the Eye, they begin a series of internecine conflicts. Lots of wars, tearing each other apart, asserting dominance, carving out domains, taking supplies.

If the Scouring saw the Loyalist Legions dismantled, the Legion Wars saw the Traitor Legions shattered.

Yep. The Legion Wars would last so long that by the time the Traitors burst forth from the Eye, the Imperium ha basically forgotten about them and was completely unprepared. Chances are if Abaddon wanted to, he could have stormed Terra right then and there. But eventually everything would fall apart again because he didn't have the necessary control yet.

It's stated that a "certain someone" is a thousand years old by the time they emerge at the forefront of the 1st Black Crusade. More or less everyone who remembered them is long dead at that point making it a bit of a shock

It's stated that a "certain someone" is a thousand years old by the time they emerge at the forefront of the 1st Black Crusade. More or less everyone who remembered them is long dead at that point making it a bit of a shock

Lol.

Is it

Sigismund? The original crusader in black? :P

It is always better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Lol Karen Traviss overuses that quote a lot haha. Still is a good one

I am so, so glad that the authors who make themselves a part of the online 40k communities are nothing like what Star Wars fans had to deal with in Karen Traviss, and this is coming from a fan of her books. Imagine Abnett popping up to call everyone who didn't like his Vlka Fenryka or Omegon childish. I shudder to think what a community like Warseer or /tg/ would become with that added on top.

It is always better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Lol Karen Traviss overuses that quote a lot haha. Still is a good one

I am so, so glad that the authors who make themselves a part of the online 40k communities are nothing like what Star Wars fans had to deal with in Karen Traviss, and this is coming from a fan of her books. Imagine Abnett popping up to call everyone who didn't like his Vlka Fenryka or Omegon childish. I shudder to think what a community like Warseer or /tg/ would become with that added on top.

Yeah woulda been a mess lol. Now I'm not wholly in the know of what went down but I heard it was bad.

Now I don't want to get nuked or off thread but she did some halo stuff lately I've read and some of it is a little too romanticized and almost suicidal (I hope the latter wasn't a result of that hot debate).

Heil Bligh! Heil Abnett! Heil ADB! This Universe will last 1000 years!

Imagine if a new author popped up, and wrote about the Imperial Guard in an amazing way. Something more than the Ghosts, Commissar Cain, or any of the other popular Guard series ever provided. Imagine the author doing something almost anathema, it shows the Guard in battles where Marines are slaughtered. And it is done well, and believable.

Then imagine that author coming onto online discussions that discuss the superiority of the Marine over the Guardsman, and going on massive tirades about how terrible Marines are, how worthless they are to the setting, and how anyone who would like Marines over the Guard are nothing but children following the cult of popularity. Completely splitting the community to those in favor of their view, and those who aren't.

It really makes me thankful for those who have made themselves a part of our online community, whether the B&C or elsewhere. We got lucky.

Imagine if a new author popped up, and wrote about the Imperial Guard in an amazing way. Something more than the Ghosts, Commissar Cain, or any of the other popular Guard series ever provided. Imagine the author doing something almost anathema, it shows the Guard in battles where Marines are slaughtered. And it is done well, and believable.

Then imagine that author coming onto online discussions that discuss the superiority of the Marine over the Guardsman, and going on massive tirades about how terrible Marines are, how worthless they are to the setting, and how anyone who would like Marines over the Guard are nothing but children following the cult of popularity. Completely splitting the community to those in favor of their view, and those who aren't.

It really makes me thankful for those who have made themselves a part of our online community, whether the B&C or elsewhere. We got lucky.

Yes, agreed.

I'm glad ADB has a level head to put up with a lot of the crap (myself included) that we are sometimes prone to throwing around.

I'm sure something similar could have happened when Legion came out and rocked the boat, but Abnett, didn't go and stomp on other peoples perceptions of the Alpha Legion. We are indeed lucky.

I don't remember her Halo books being so poorly received?

I'm not wholly involved in that community, mearly they are my own musings. Let's just say I wouldn't let her near my plastic dudesmen before it turns into Space Marine McLovelyman falls in love with Inquisitor NormalGirl and they have forbidden love and the enemies they are supposed to kill make a 5 minute cameo.

I like my 40k at the intersection of Grim Ave. and Dark Street.

I don't remember her Halo books being so poorly received?

I'm referring to her Mandalorian books, which were well-received. But it did lead to online debates on the intricacies of Mandalorians vs Jedi. It was her participation in those debates that took her into infamy (or popularity if you liked her Mandalorians more than you liked the setting's status quo on Jedi).

Which is why I used a comparison like Abnett. Good books, but he can cause controversy. We have people like ADB who will try to correct mistaken perceptions, but I have never seen him tell people their means of enjoying the IP is wrong or childish.

Archived