Perfection and Glory - Full Army Shot!

Rangaman

That might be possible, I haven't read all that far into the Horus Heresy series (novels) but going off of the Phoenix Terminators unit entry...

"On the field of battle, the Phoenix Guard were no less impressive and were storied as providing an impenetrable ring of courage and steel, barring the approach of any enemy who dared challenge their Primarch. They fought in many spheres of battle, from lightning swift assault forces to Veteran Tactical units, but it was their Terminators who were most feared, their matial skill all but unmongst across the Legions"

I could be wrong, and although an entire army of Phoenix Terminators would be cool, I can't imagine it performing that well...especially since they have no guns :P

Thanks for the comments Kizz, I appreciate it a lot.

Here is the Terminator portion of the Phoenix Guard, the Praetor is something I did a few years back and isn't part of the intended army list for 2500points but he might see use in smaller games.

gallery_81212_9961_272007.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_435384.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_326553.jpg

Since yesterday I have also assembled one Dreadclaw and 5 Jetbikes, just need to jazz the riders up a bit. My plan for this army is slightly different to my last, instead of building, painting and finishing each unit as I go like I did with the Sons of Horus, I will build and primer EVERYTHING so I can get some games in and paint them as I go. As long as it is all finished by Novemeber I should be good.

Really nice work and a great fluffy idea for a list! I look forward to seeing how it progresses!

Thanks man, working on assembling Jetbikes and Dreadclaws right now, then Javelins and finally the Kharybdis...looking forward to that kit most of all!

Thanks man, in hindsight I would probably use the plastic Tartaros heads as they are all sort of unique and easily obtainable through bitz sites and ebay...I just happened to have some Justaerin I never got around to for my SoH :)

• 2 weeks later...

how do you plan to deploy the phoenix guard / EC-terminators? Just recently I wondered why there are so few Caestus Assault Rams around and pondered getting one myself once i decide to get the phoenix guard... looks like you would need at least two of these flying spartans.

how do you plan to deploy the phoenix guard / EC-terminators? Just recently I wondered why there are so few Caestus Assault Rams around and pondered getting one myself once i decide to get the phoenix guard... looks like you would need at least two of these flying spartans.

The Phoenix Termies will be flying in a Kharybdis with the Chaplain and Fulgrim, its my flying Spartan! Once they get across the table ready for a charge I will most likely split Fulgrim off for another "easy" target like Rapiers or Support squads etc

The other ten Legion Termies have a pair of Dreadclaws to ride in.

Rangaman- is that the Minotaur chaplains helmet on the limited praetor?? Whose helm is The praetor wearing??

Yea that is the Tribune with Enkomi's head with his crest shaven off and half the back of his head snipped.

The Praetor just has a Phoenix Terminator head.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit slack with updates here, didn't really feel compelled to take photos etc.

Anyways, got quite a few things going on now...almost too many projects. But, I will focus on getting the IIIrd finished first!

So, first up I picked up a cheap nib Drop Pod on eBay for $35 and I traded in the Deathwatch Rhino and some Malifaux thingo I had won in our clubs raffle for another nib Drop Pod, as luck would have it I also found a secondhand pod there too so I grabbed that!

gallery_81212_9961_62364.jpg

This is all going towards an Orbital Assault list for my Sons of Horus, which required more Veterans to be made. These guys are Combi-plasma armed and will be split in half to go with the 10 Tacticals I made a year back but never needed them. Ripped some arms off some guys I wasn't happy with and reposed/rearmed some Sergeants with Fists and Helmet Crests.

gallery_81212_9961_522205.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_261691.jpg

And I got around to using the Plasmaguns I bought three years ago and made a Support Squad.

gallery_81212_9961_506606.jpg

The big blob of infantry I get to paint up now!

gallery_81212_9961_529491.jpg

Now, I bought a trio of Dragonforge flying stands for my Avenger-wing that is still unstarted BUT I figured I would make good use of them for my Kharybdis and Dreadclaw pair as I like the higher positioning of aircraft, nothing worse then playing with flyers who are literally at the same level as some low ruins. Drilled into the Kharybdis underside where the normal flight stand goes and sleeved it with a 1/2" brass connector, this also allowed me to tilt the angle of the Claw so it looks like it is properly descending instead of flying parallel to the ground. One Dreadclaw is also finished up and sleeved.

gallery_81212_9961_441139.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_495065.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_150930.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_72647.jpg

I am just finishing up the press-mould wings sections for my Jetbike riders who will then get primered, and a made a start on the Javelins last night. Just waiting on some clear acrylic rods so I can make sturdier stands for all the Jetbikes and possibly change angles and heights etc to make them look less monotonous.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to put a pic up of my finished Tale of Painters army, which is relatively small in number but still worth ~1800points. Just need to make some transfers up so I can finish them properly.

gallery_81212_9961_372874.jpg

Mostly assembled the Kharybdis last ngiht, I was really excited/nervous to see if it would balance on the 12" flight stand...luckily it does!

gallery_81212_9961_281633.jpg

And the size difference to a normal Dreadclaw is huge! Its still missing the top fins and missile launchers too!

gallery_81212_9961_665737.jpg

Just looked up your blog and its impressive! Love all the 30k goodness on display, I am envious of all the large scale models you have in your arsenal. Thats quite a collection, and one you have done justice to with a great looking paintjob. That Kharybdis mounted up is something else eek.gif

Those DIY flight bases stands look far more robust than stock, I'm in! but raincheck on assemble entire army prior to paint option, my brush handling would atrophy or id have to go to modellers anonymous meetings

I got the flight stand and resin base from Dragonforge, I am very impressed with the quality of all three of them! And I can agree on assembling an entire army being daunting and losing painting skill in between but I feel like the Sonsarmy I did was piecemeal and I could do with a little change up in approach, technique and theme for my next. Thanks man!

Just looked up your blog and its impressive! Love all the 30k goodness on display, I am envious of all the large scale models you have in your arsenal. Thats quite a collection, and one you have done justice to with a great looking paintjob. That Kharybdis mounted up is something else eek.gif

Thanks mate, it is definitely a labour of love here! Hoping to get my Knights into their first game in the next few weeks against a rival Knight House, in the meantime I will be working on the Dreadclaw trio!

I had a game last night against my mate Jacob's Iron Warriors Armoured Breakthrough (thats the Rite with a tank HQ and Pred troops), having so many tanks on the board is cool and also makes the game so much faster...I think we finished a 2.5k game in just over an hour, and it was great to see my Falchion face off against his Shadowsword...both rolling 1's frequently for the Destroyer table.

gallery_81212_9961_486310.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_479028.jpg

So, since I had some time left at the end, I did another quick photoshoot of the army. They are now fully completed, so matte cleared, lenses etc done and pigments added and fixed!

gallery_81212_9961_569003.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_42334.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_535818.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_927862.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_364171.jpg

gallery_81212_9961_627367.jpg

Thats the last of the Armoured Spearhead...for now.

Thanks for looking!

Archived