I hope you own a salt mine for this one ...

Jacinda

Re: Acts of Faith.

I still think the easiest answer is just to make up a list of six relatively subtle, but powerful psychic abilities.

Then make all canonesses ML 2.

And all squads "Sisterhoods of Psykers," ML 1.

And say that they can only take powers from the Sisters of Battle Miracles psychic discipline.

Except maybe a special character living saint who can also take Santic powers.

And if you really wanted to, you could probably do worse than a sanctioned/repentent psyker in the Elites slot who can take other powers.

Bingo! Now you're using a system we already have, which we already know more or less works. You've also killed two birds with one stone, because in addition to a host of neat miracles - which you can keep subtle, to reflect the fact that the Sisters' faith is manipulating the world subtly, by calling down small miracles, rather than shooting flames and teleporting - the Sisters are now a powerful anti-psyker army (because every squad and vehicle is generating at least one Warp Charge).

I like that idea from the perspective that it would kill 2 birds with one stone. I hate that I have to take an inquisitor or other ally to get any form of effective anti psyker capability. if they kept roughly the same acts as designated psychic powers on a per unit basis it would allow for multiple uses as well as allow deny the witch from the enemy, keeping some balance.

Except that the sisters' powers are specifically not psychic, so no. The last thing we need is a bunch of Grey Knight players waving their... halberds... in our faces saying "Hah, told you so, totally a less awesome and more corruptible version of us!"

Except for three things...

1. IF the Emperor is the source of the Sisters' powers, then they are psychic because they are the influence of a minor Warp god - in other words, sorcery.
  2. IF the Emperor is not the source of the Sisters' powers, then they are psychic anyway, because they are empowered by the collected passion and dedication of the Sisters... in other words, weaponized emotion, or the Warp.

And additionally...

1. Even if the Sisters' powers aren't psychic, they don't need to be "really" psychic for us to hijack the psychic phase system to help balance and reflect them on the table. Think of the enormous variety of guns that are reflected by Strength 4, AP 5. That doesn't mean that a bolter is a shuriken thingy is a whatever-the-heck Orks call their guns. It just means that they use (partly) the same rules. We can do the same things with faith.

Like Jacinda said, they are more like Chapter Tactics. Think of it this way:

Their training and devotion to the Emperor is so strong that it allows them to pull off wonderous acts in the heat of battle much our adreneline has purportedly allowed people to perform acts that are seemingly impossible - like lifting a car to save a lived one. They merely believe, rightly or wrongly, that their chants and prayers to the God-Emperor is the catalyst.

1. IF the Emperor is the source of the Sisters' powers, then they are psychic because they are the influence of a minor Warp god - in other words, sorcery.
  2. IF the Emperor is not the source of the Sisters' powers, then they are psychic anyway, because they are empowered by the collected passion and dedication of the Sisters... in other words, weaponized emotion, or the Warp.

And additionally...

1. Even if the Sisters' powers aren't psychic, they don't need to be "really" psychic for us to hijack the psychic phase system to help balance and reflect them on the table. Think of the enormous variety of guns that are reflected by Strength 4, AP 5. That doesn't mean that a bolter is a shuriken thingy is a whatever-the-heck Orks call their guns. It just means that they use (partly) the same rules. We can do the same things with faith.

Except that weaponized emotion is what Orks use for their psychic powers and they can suffer perils of the Warp. Sisters using Acts of Faith can't be dragged into the warp and their powers aren't affected by Denying the Witch, Null Rods, or anything else that affects Psychic Powers. 

I'd rather 40k not have a Psychic Phase and a collective Army pool of Warp Charges like 6th Edition. Units should also be able to Deny the Witch without having to spend Warp Charges. 

That being said the best Band-aid fix I've seen is to give all units that have the Adamantium Will Special Rule 1 Warp Charge that can only be spent on Denying the Witch. 

Also check out my Homebrew Codex Sisters of Battle, for much improved Acts of Faith System. It uses a Codex Witch Hunters like resolution system (roll equal to, under, or over the number of models in the squad). Faith Points regenerate on each of your turns and Acts of Faith cost between 1 and 3 Faith Points each.

Tyranids explicitly don't use the warp but the power of the Hive Mind for their powers and Perils are supposed to represent burnt out synapses and the like so the psychic system representing things that work like psychic powers but aren't is already a thing.

I'd be more down for it being like the IG order system though. Simple, effective and not hard to keep track of.

• IF the Emperor is the source of the Sisters' powers, then they are psychic because they are the influence of a minor Warp god - in other words, sorcery.
  • IF the Emperor is not the source of the Sisters' powers, then they are psychic anyway, because they are empowered by the collected passion and dedication of the Sisters... in other words, weaponized emotion, or the Warp.
And additionally...
  • Even if the Sisters' powers aren't psychic, they don't need to be "really" psychic for us to hijack the psychic phase system to help balance and reflect them on the table. Think of the enormous variety of guns that are reflected by Strength 4, AP 5. That doesn't mean that a bolter is a shuriken thingy is a whatever-the-heck Orks call their guns. It just means that they use (partly) the same rules. We can do the same things with faith.

Unless, of course, the Sisters' "acts of faith" are either their fervour releasing the body's natural limiters (ref: old ladies lifting cars off children) in the manner of truly skilled martial artists, or the indirect work of the emperor's influence, such as his tweaking minor environmental details without ever affecting the Sisters themselves.

Personally, I see the Acts of Faith as being more like the former. While apparently super-human, the Acts aren't truly anything that a normal human couldn't achieve if their situation were truly desperate enough. The difference being that the Sisters are trained to use those abilities. This is easiest to apply to Celestians - by transcending the body's natural safety measures, they can temporarily gain the strength of an Astartes. Spirit of the Martyr and Eternal Crusade can be linked to the same. Light of the Emperor, Divine Guidance, Holy Fullisade and whatever the Seraphim one is called (temporary memory loss) can all be explained as a mental/reflex increase in the same way - over-clocking the body. This meshes well with the idea that Sisters are divided into squad types by affinity.

And additionally...

Except that weaponized emotion is what Orks use for their psychic powers and they can suffer perils of the Warp. Sisters using Acts of Faith can't be dragged into the warp and their powers aren't affected by Denying the Witch, Null Rods, or anything else that affects Psychic Powers. 

I'd rather 40k not have a Psychic Phase and a collective Army pool of Warp Charges like 6th Edition. Units should also be able to Deny the Witch without having to spend Warp Charges. 

That being said the best Band-aid fix I've seen is to give all units that have the Adamantium Will Special Rule 1 Warp Charge that can only be spent on Denying the Witch

That would be sufficient. I just want to deny some damn witches. Stupid invisible Centurious and Knights are eating my lunch.

• IF the Emperor is the source of the Sisters' powers, then they are psychic because they are the influence of a minor Warp god - in other words, sorcery.
  • IF the Emperor is not the source of the Sisters' powers, then they are psychic anyway, because they are empowered by the collected passion and dedication of the Sisters... in other words, weaponized emotion, or the Warp.
And additionally...
  • Even if the Sisters' powers aren't psychic, they don't need to be "really" psychic for us to hijack the psychic phase system to help balance and reflect them on the table. Think of the enormous variety of guns that are reflected by Strength 4, AP 5. That doesn't mean that a bolter is a shuriken thingy is a whatever-the-heck Orks call their guns. It just means that they use (partly) the same rules. We can do the same things with faith.

That being said the best Band-aid fix I've seen is to give all units that have the Adamantium Will Special Rule 1 Warp Charge that can only be spent on Denying the Witch.

That would be sufficient. I just want to deny some damn witches. Stupid invisible Centurious and Knights are eating my lunch.

I heard that exact suggestion as a 'rumour' before seventh released and was astounded that it wasn't true... It just seemed so simple and sensible :/

Posted · Hidden by *Furyou Miko, October 30, 2014 - Nice try, but really rather off topic.
Hidden by *Furyou Miko, October 30, 2014 - Nice try, but really rather off topic.

One of those "moments" http://m.ibtimes.com/how-not-charge-your-iphone-users-fall-apple-wave-microwave-prank-1692852

I know, my sense of humor is rather dark at times. On the other hand, if one is gullible enough to believe anything...

Back to the codex, Celestine's act of faith seems kinda nice.

There is a "fanmade" codex at 1d4chan. It was made for 6th ed. But I suppose it works pretty much the same in 7th.

Some parts of it look pretty nice but can't really comment on it as I haven't played a game with it as of now.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Codex_-_Sisters_of_Battle:_/tg/_edition

It's not what I'd call playable. Not to mention it's all in a wiki page which is a pain to print out and use. No one's touched it since before 7th edition was released so don't expect it to be up to date.

Instead, use my Codex (and supplements): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/286511-homebrew-codex-sisters-of-battle-6th-edition/

I keep it up to date, and it's finished. It's been proof read by the B&C, DakkaDakka, and even 4chan. I'll always take feedback in my quest for perfection, so use it and let me know what you think.

Hey. It has its moments.

If the internet had an armpit and that arm pit had a rectum and that rectum had hemorrhoids, 4chan would be that guy that puts a Preperation-H lable on a tube of Ben-gay.

Yeah, but that's what makes them good critics, I've posted my Codex: Sisters of Battle their several times. They give good feedback.

Yeah, but that's what makes them good critics, I've posted my Codex: Sisters of Battle their several times. They give good feedback.

I've recognized different B+Cers posting on 4chan before, either by their WIP pictures, fluff writing, or arguments/comments. Outside of the poop carnival of "certain boards," the hobby/interest related boards usually have very normal and constructive conversations.

Archived