Here's a question for y'all. Let's assume that we have Mephiston on the table. In the movement phase he advances. In the psychic phase he casts Wings on himself and makes another move, without advancing. Can he charge in the charge phase (and also shoot his pistol in the shooting phase). What if he doesn't advance in the movement phase but does so in the psychic phase instead, does it change anything? Thanks!

A unit that advances can't shoot or charge later in the turn, regardless of what phase it advances in (same thing for sisters faith, etc).

Any word on the ETL this year Jol? Been prepping Do I need to prepare for RtS or ETL respectively?

Semper hasn't said anything further than his promise to have the ETL running this year, but that was back in April 2017. It's a case of wait and see at the moment.

All being well, the RTS will happen around September-November as usual.

There *may* be something happening soon though...

Just getting round-about that time. Something I look forward to each year. Cheers!

I am 99.9% sure if he advanced in the movement phase he cannot charge or shoot.

Interesting. Would this then prevent our Death Company from using the strat to move and advance from charging on the first turn if they chose to advance then? Or does the strat happen before the first round?

Though if Mephiston cast wings on himself, then He could at least shoot, however, he could still not charge. Yay, Fly keyword?  Never Mind, that's only for falling back.

Technically, the Death co strat happens during the first battle round before the first players turn. It also says "A unit that Advances can’t shoot

or charge later that turn."

It also says that A battle round and turn are separate things, I.E. Everything happens in a battle round, not everything happens in a turn. I'd say the Death Co can charge on turn 1.

edited for extra info, that I messed up on.
Edited by Ornithologist

Here's a question for y'all. Let's assume that we have Mephiston on the table. In the movement phase he advances. In the psychic phase he casts Wings on himself and makes another move, without advancing. Can he charge in the charge phase (and also shoot his pistol in the shooting phase). What if he doesn't advance in the movement phase but does so in the psychic phase instead, does it change anything? Thanks!

No because using the Wings doesn't overwrite the fact that he advanced which prevents him from charging that turn.

I am 99.9% sure if he advanced in the movement phase he cannot charge or shoot.

Interesting. Would this then prevent our Death Company from using the strat to move and advance from charging on the first turn if they chose to advance then? Or does the strat happen before the first round?

No because the DC move happens before the first turn begins.

Not sure if this is relevant to this thread, but I know it’s been discussed so I didn’t want to start a new one for it...

I just recently converted a Captain Slamguinius from an assault marine and some veteran bits. I’m happy with the way he turned out. Now I can’t figure out a color to paint him. I use the DVoS strategem a lot. I don’t know if I want to paint him black though. I’ve been considering gold, but I know that color is typically reserved. Do you think that gold would suit him?

What color are you painting yours?

A few days ago I won a game and stumbled into a list-building dilemma. My regular opponent plays Tau or Guard, as well as BA I being Tyranids/GSC and GK, and my army is almost always split between a relatively static firebase and an assault element to get up close. Thus far, every game has gone much the same way. The assault element comes in, shreds what I point it at, opposition falls back, shoots it to death. The assault stuff has never made it's points back, and I've narrowly lost each game thus far. 

Last game against Guard, I took 5 DC, JP Captain, Lemartes, Lib Dread, DC Dread and 5 Tac Terminators for the assault, and 3 Twin Las Razors, Two AC/HB Baals and a AC/HB Predator for the firebase. It went according to the pattern. Drop, assault, win, consolidate, opponent falls back, FRFSRF happens. 

So I decided to go a different way, canned the assault element entirely to try and hang as many long range antipersonnel weapons off my army as possible. Basic Captain and Lieutenant, 3xDev squads and a Sang Priest. Opponent brought a Crisis Suit heavy army, so not quite what I was planning on, but by T5 he conceded with a few fire warriors left for the loss of 13 marines and one Baal. I even forgot to use the Priest for anything. 

This has me wondering if I need to give up on the aggressive approach if I want a decent shot at winning games. 

As far as Captain Hammer is concerned, I went with Deacth Co colors, but I think whatever gold you use for S. Guard and veteran helmets would work, help keep your army scheme together.

On another related note, a full shooty list does have some possibilities for us as well. You could throw in a 5 man termi sqd with assault cannon for that scheme, to mix it up.

A few days ago I won a game and stumbled into a list-building dilemma. My regular opponent plays Tau or Guard, as well as BA I being Tyranids/GSC and GK, and my army is almost always split between a relatively static firebase and an assault element to get up close. Thus far, every game has gone much the same way. The assault element comes in, shreds what I point it at, opposition falls back, shoots it to death. The assault stuff has never made it's points back, and I've narrowly lost each game thus far. 

Last game against Guard, I took 5 DC, JP Captain, Lemartes, Lib Dread, DC Dread and 5 Tac Terminators for the assault, and 3 Twin Las Razors, Two AC/HB Baals and a AC/HB Predator for the firebase. It went according to the pattern. Drop, assault, win, consolidate, opponent falls back, FRFSRF happens. 

So I decided to go a different way, canned the assault element entirely to try and hang as many long range antipersonnel weapons off my army as possible. Basic Captain and Lieutenant, 3xDev squads and a Sang Priest. Opponent brought a Crisis Suit heavy army, so not quite what I was planning on, but by T5 he conceded with a few fire warriors left for the loss of 13 marines and one Baal. I even forgot to use the Priest for anything. 

This has me wondering if I need to give up on the aggressive approach if I want a decent shot at winning games. 

You definitely don't have to give up on the aggressive approach. The pure BA list that ended up on 6th place on the LVO had a blob of Death Company, a blob of Sanguinary Guard and Captain Smash as well.

Without knowing your both lists, board and seeing how you play it's hard to say why you're having such a hard time. Especially against T'au who really aren't that strong currently. The fact that your T'au opponent used a list with Crisis spam just shows that he doesn't min max his lists (Crisis Suits are way overcosted, hence why competetive T'au player rather use Commander instead).

As far as Captain Hammer is concerned, I went with Deacth Co colors, but I think whatever gold you use for S. Guard and veteran helmets would work, help keep your army scheme together.

On another related note, a full shooty list does have some possibilities for us as well. You could throw in a 5 man termi sqd with assault cannon for that scheme, to mix it up.

I think I'll go with gold then.  I feel like this will be fitting since I am currently building my army around the 5th Company "Daemonbanes".  This will now become Captain Sendini, and his reward for his deeds during the Diamor Campaign will be this shiny set of artificer armor. 

I'm planning on doing up a captain smash for grotsmasha's conversion challenge and I'm going to make him out of a sang guard body and death coy shoulder pads and karlaen's hammer, for the challenge he'll be bare plastic, but when I get around to painting him I'll probably go with gold body and black shoulder pads with red crosses, unless I get adventuress and try a nmm black scheme for the whole model. Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

I just recently converted a Captain Slamguinius from an assault marine and some veteran bits. I’m happy with the way he turned out. Now I can’t figure out a color to paint him. I use the DVoS strategem a lot. I don’t know if I want to paint him black though. I’ve been considering gold, but I know that color is typically reserved. Do you think that gold would suit him?

Tycho wore gold armour so there is a precedent.

Personally I would not feel obliged to go for Black armour (unless you really like it). Perhaps the visions only started just before the battle and he hasn't had time to repaint his armour.

If in doubt, always remember the first rule of modelling.

#1 They're your models, paint them how you like! :wink:

I'll go for black armour with lots of gold details and a silver arm because narrative-wise mine will be a Marine who served in the Deathwatch and is now tasked with leading the new chapter of Primaris Marines (he'll be one of the last remaining Knights of Blood leading my Knights of Baal custom chapter who are totally not Knights of Blood because Dante said so! :P ) and because it fits the Stratagems DC fluff at the same time.

I've got everything prepared except for the DW pauldron and a file to get rid of that pesky resin pauldron. :D

Good armour on captain's feels weirdly wrong now they typically do not get artificer armour tbh.

I'd go red or black

I like to think the captain loses it admits the carnage of battle. Keeping him Red also allows for a normal looking captain/fancy VV when they eventually take the DC cappies away.

Keeping him Red also allows for a normal looking captain/fancy VV when they eventually take the DC cappies away.

I doubt that'll happen. The +1A and 6+++ (re-rolling 1s) really isn't the issue lol

I wouldn't expect the D.C. Capt to go away until a new edition starts and strats don't exist anymore.

Yeah but they said there will be no more editions as this edition will be able to be updated.

Good armour on captain's feels weirdly wrong now they typically do not get artificer armour tbh.

I'd go red or black

He may not get a 2+ from it, but that doesn’t mean it can’t still be artificer, yeah? I mean part of that meaning is a highly individualized suit of power armor. It just won’t protect him any better.

I'd go red or black

I like to think the captain loses it admits the carnage of battle. Keeping him Red also allows for a normal looking captain/fancy VV when they eventually take the DC cappies away.
I agree with the others here. I don’t see them being taken away. The strategems are likely here to stay, and they pretty much said with the yearly Chapter Approved being the updating system we won’t be getting a “new edition” for a long long time. Edited by Calistarius

Nah, as said I don't find it OP at all.

I think any Captain with a Thunderhammer with the means to deliver it (Jump Pack or Bike) is a strong build for any Marine army, but what gives ours the edge is the +1 damage trait and that we have the better delivery due 3d6 charge and re-roll charge relic.

It's not a single one of all those things that is OP, it's the combination of them. The problem is that they all (maybe except for the 3d6 charge) are meant to work on Captains so it's not like we're actually exploiting something. And even without those we'd still have the fight twice and fight when getting killed stratagems anyway lol

Edited by sfPanzer

Nah, as said I don't find it OP at all.

I think any Captain with a Thunderhammer with the means to deliver it (Jump Pack or Bike) is a strong build for any Marine army, but what gives ours the edge is the +1 damage trait and that we have the better delivery due 3d6 charge and re-roll charge relic.

It's not a single one of all those things that is OP, it's the combination of them. The problem is that they all (maybe except for the 3d6 charge) are meant to work on Captains so it's not like we're actually exploiting something. And even without those we'd still have the fight twice and fight when getting killed stratagems anyway lol

Don't forget that The Red Thirst does all sorts of weird and amazing things to the damage curve on a weapon like the thunderhammer, allowing our captains to wound even most superheavies on 3's.