I spent the weekend doing hobby related stuff.

Saturday

1) I finished building my DC dreadnought.

2) I glued together what I deem to be the final form of my Sternguard sergeant.

3) I replaced the gunner on my Razorback with a hatch where the driver only shows his head and added some purity seals. Looks much better now I think.

4) spent a whole evening finish painting a company veteran marine. I wasnt satisfied with the result. He ended up in the jar of Dettol.

Sunday

1) After 12 hours inside the dettol soup, I paint stripped the model.

2) I hacked him off and starting putting together a better looking marine.

3) I painted some gold trimmings on one of tactical sergeants.

4) I hacked an imperial eagle from the belt of my veteran sergeant and repainted the belt.

What I got from all that

It was a shame spending 5 hours of painting just for the model to end up in the dettol jar but I got some much needed experience from all that. I should not be using glazes like I use shades, they are much thicker paints. I ended up clogging too much detail. I also realised that I'll never stop messing even with finished models when I dont like how they look. At least I think this one was the final model I didnt like. I found out that not gluing things Im not sure about together is the smartest way to counter the above. Like how I hadnt glued the razorback gunner and I was able to replace him easily. I also decided not to glue the body of the dreadnought to the legs cause I cant decide on a pose. Some blue tack can keep him together well enough.

What for Jol?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353462-transmission-received/

Something that should happen later today!

I've been tinkering around with a few different bits. I can't seem to find the right combination I'm looking for though. Hopefully I wont disappoint!

Got a couple games in this weekend! First game against Death Guard I completely wrecked face. Killed Morty, his bodyguards, a chaos champion, and a smattering of other heretics turn one, and pretty much locked the rest in combat. Conceded at the end of his turn.

Second game I got similarly wrecked by custodes. Not as quickly, but a more methodical wrecking. Those dudes are just tough to kill. Also, 7 of those jet bikes...yeesh. I made some bad mistakes as I had never faced them before, but still, led me to some list revisions and lessons learned.

CPT Smash is rightfully one our best units. Bolter discipline on bikers and obj camping intercessors is great. Not game changing, but certainly gives them more utility. I ran two squads of vanvets with various character support and a bunch of storm shields. I didn’t lose a single one either game...but they also didn’t accomplish much. I am going to drop it down to one squad with some more chop to them and see how that goes. I need to make use of our HB mortal wound strat more. I am drawing some inspiration from Morts lists and trying to rely less on character support and more on shooting support - but with BA flavor. Using a fire raptor, bikes and inceptors to stay true to our roots.

any ideas where can I find a 5th unique set of lightning claws for a VV squad?

I originally cut up terminator claws to make them, but they're much bulkier that. Van vet claws. I used a set of de-chaosified warp talon claws for my captain. You could also use right and left handed power fists with the tartaros lightning claw additions

I originally cut up terminator claws to make them, but they're much bulkier that. Van vet claws. I used a set of de-chaosified warp talon claws for my captain. You could also use right and left handed power fists with the tartaros lightning claw additions

I just cant make my mind on how to equip a squad. The concept is that they should have either claws or stormshields otherwise they should be DC not VV. How about 2 guys with claws 2 guys with ss and power swords and the sergeant with a relic blade and either a shield of a pistol?

I just cant make my mind on how to equip a squad. The concept is that they should have either claws or stormshields otherwise they should be DC not VV. How about 2 guys with claws 2 guys with ss and power swords and the sergeant with a relic blade and either a shield of a pistol?

Why not a claw and a storm shield?

My first squad I magnetised, however this was a lot of work I'm not keen to repeat.

My next Van Vet squad will be 5 men each with sword and shield. Serge may have Relic blade. 

Edited by Xenith

Two reasons, I kinda thought that claws are only worth it in pairs and frankly I love how the relic blade looks like. Plus I can always say its a power sword.

I can't remember the prices, however if 2 claws is simply 2x the price of 1 claw, then 1 claw + shield is more efficient. 

In most editions, it was better to give 2 veterans 1 claw each, than 1 guy 2 claws, as you got more attacks.

It's hurts right in the rule of cool. 

Two reasons, I kinda thought that claws are only worth it in pairs and frankly I love how the relic blade looks like. Plus I can always say its a power sword.

I can't remember the prices, however if 2 claws is simply 2x the price of 1 claw, then 1 claw + shield is more efficient. 

In most editions, it was better to give 2 veterans 1 claw each, than 1 guy 2 claws, as you got more attacks.

It's hurts right in the rule of cool. 

Double claws give an extra attack and reroll to wounds dont they? Also I think that they're twice the cost of a sword, and being ap -2 d1 I dont they they're worth it over a sword + shield.

The Great Baalite Bake Off, our character kitbash event, is now live

Hey Jol, I'm wondering if I can enter the Librarian Dread conversion I started almost two years ago now. I haven't touched him since I last posted pictures in my WIP in 2017 (I can find the pics later today). I did already have a pose kinda figured out with blue tac, but it still needed plenty of work and BA stuff added to it.

I promise I read the FAQ part before asking lol

Edited by Brother Lemartes

Two major losses this Monday. 500 pts for both and faced Iron Warrior chaos for game 1 and Eldar for game 2. Just had 5 JP DC w/ jp chaplain and 2 squads of scouts. IW strat to ignore cover saves hurt like hell while Eldar are just insanely suited to eliminate marines. Str. 10 assault flamers with ap-4 is too much and too broken. Especially since they still have a base 2+ to hit. I thought I was safe but he pulled an 11inch run move and cooked all 10 scouts in cover. Coupled with those shurukans that explode with a -3 ap just meant I had no real shot.

Missing was a modified supply drop and both missions the supply drop was firmly on the enemy's side so I had to slog it across the field with my scouts which is not a good idea. Really hating how easy everyone else gets benefits against marines but I have to pay for anything that would benefit me only some of the time. Since it was only 500 pts, I couldn't quite reach a battalion unless I just went straight troop and 2 HQ.

So far I've lost every game of 8th except one (Index age) which I tied with orks. Not looking so hot for me this edition.

Two major losses this Monday. 500 pts for both and faced Iron Warrior chaos for game 1 and Eldar for game 2. Just had 5 JP DC w/ jp chaplain and 2 squads of scouts. IW strat to ignore cover saves hurt like hell while Eldar are just insanely suited to eliminate marines. Str. 10 assault flamers with ap-4 is too much and too broken. Especially since they still have a base 2+ to hit. I thought I was safe but he pulled an 11inch run move and cooked all 10 scouts in cover. Coupled with those shurukans that explode with a -3 ap just meant I had no real shot.

Missing was a modified supply drop and both missions the supply drop was firmly on the enemy's side so I had to slog it across the field with my scouts which is not a good idea. Really hating how easy everyone else gets benefits against marines but I have to pay for anything that would benefit me only some of the time. Since it was only 500 pts, I couldn't quite reach a battalion unless I just went straight troop and 2 HQ.

So far I've lost every game of 8th except one (Index age) which I tied with orks. Not looking so hot for me this edition.

You can't fixate on what other armies get that you don't. Wraiths and d-scyths are not cheap and if you had hit them with a captain Smash with the jump pack that denys overwatch then it would be your eldar opponent bitterly noting how broken BA are.

Focus on our strengths and play to them, we get plenty. No we are not top tier, but I can tell you we are not the bottom. 500pts is a difficult level to play at, especially for an army that leans on its HQ and elites like BA do. Look to a Vanguard detachment and zero in on BA strengths, maybe a chappy and three units of DC? At 500pts do you really need more than 3 or 4 CP?

Remember that you're playing an assault army in an edition focused on gunline tactics. The learning curve is going to be steep and you're gonna crash a lot before you learn to fly. The payoff is that you'll eventually learn tricks and tactics to a better degree than anyone who plays a gunline and only understands target priority.

Edited by Bonzi

im not one to talk wins and losses and army composition...but sometimes we have to do what they do: only take stuff that can hurt or with a purpose.

I love scouts as much as anyone, but tacs with heavy bolters may have been a better idea, especially if the scouts won't be getting you CP.

Hang in there Spagunk. It's an uphill battle for us all.

Honestly I think the main issue is that melee always needs a lot more support and dedicated points to get the work done. Something you just don't really have at 500p. If you wanted a melee heavy hitter at those point levels you'd be better off with a Captain or a Dreadnought, but something fraguile like Death Company is just not going to cut it. On the other hand your opponents list didn't try to force a melee unit into their list so they automatically had the advantage there.

Marines in general just don't really work at 500 pts. Too many ineffecient units that need support to function properly, and you just can't do it at 500. Especially not when other armies can bring weapons that just delete marine bodies at such points levels. BA are especially prone to that, as our star units need screening units to survive AND strategem support that requires a lot of CP, neither of which you get at 500.