This weekend I finished assembling and primed my Stormraven. I think I got the most satisfaction from Magentizing it- especially the gunner turret. I also have a 3rd party Mephiston that I started painting. (The imperial lord of death one) Everytime I read about Mephy I think about painting the model so I just gave it a go :)

Played a game against my best friends guard catachan army last night. I guess I forgot why we don’t play anymore. He got first turn, and i conceded after his first shooting phase when he wiped out 800ish points of marines, who were all in cover.

Lists being used?

Played a game against my best friends guard catachan army last night. I guess I forgot why we don’t play anymore. He got first turn, and i conceded after his first shooting phase when he wiped out 800ish points of marines, who were all in cover.

Lists being used?

Idk what exactly his list is.  roughly something like 90 or so guardsmen with each squad having a plasmagun, plasma pistol, and power axe.  Three russes 1.) regular russ with battle cannon and plasma cannon sponsons, i think with the emperor's fist relic battle cannon 2.) punisher tank with i think plasma sponsons 3.) plasma russ with plasma sponsons.  a wyvern, an ogryn squad, two psykers (one to give +1 save, and one to give -1 to be hit), sundry other smaller pieces (commanders and stuff), and straken right in the middle.  everything got reroll 1's from orders and overcharged.

i deleted my list because I was really frustrated.  I had roughly:

-batallion

smash captain (th/ss)

captain- JP, axe, stormbolter

intercessor squad x 5 men x 3 squads

-vanguard

Lemartes

15 death co with jump packs, bolters, chainswords x 2

company ancient with banner of sacrifice

-spearhead

lieutenant w/ JP, axe, stormbolter

2 devestator squads with 2 lasconnons each. 

1 devestator squad with missle launcher and heavy bolter.

The devestators all castled up with the banner, lieutenant, and captain.  One death co squad forlorn fury'ed into cover near the middle of the board.  The intercessors were spread around the devestators and on an objective.

On his turn, he took out 12 of the 15 death company (who then ran off the board) and two squads of devestators.  The third squad took some losses and ran off the board, even with a reroll.  a couple marines died from one of the intercessor squads.  I didn't see any point of continuing.

edit:  also a 6 man inceptor squad in reserves.

Edited by durdle-durdle

Tough match-up. Your opponent brought everything he should against marines. Nasty. 
Have you used the +1 cover save stratagem?
Did you get to shoot back with your dying devastators due to the banner?

My advice would be to use line-of-sight blocking terrain to it's limits to hide as much of your anti-tank firepower on the first turn as possible. It's not that bad for devastators to shoot at -1 to hit due to moving if the alternative is they get deleted. 
Also Intercessors are a poor match-up against massed plasma, you'd be better off with scouts, which could be positioned almost in your opponent's face if you like threatening to charge turn 1. 

Is the lascannon / dual plasma razorback no longer an option? I cant seem to find rules for it anywhere. Is it in the index? It seems like it could be a decent load out to me.

The problem with plasma on a razorback is that you cant overcharge it cause you risk losing the whole model.

I say house rule it to mortal wounds!

As is the Flamerback. The Meltaback is found in the FW Index (Internus pattern Razorback).

If it helps, they are all on Battlescribe :smile.:

This whole deal with an army's units and options being spread out over multiple (five or six books now with the CA Books out?) is really annoying and is holding me off from actually investing in an 8e codex and playing the game at all.

As is the Flamerback. The Meltaback is found in the FW Index (Internus pattern Razorback).

If it helps, they are all on Battlescribe :smile.:

This whole deal with an army's units and options being spread out over multiple (five or six books now with the CA Books out?) is really annoying and is holding me off from actually investing in an 8e codex and playing the game at all.

Units are still only in 2-3 books max. Codex, GW Index, FW Index. The GW Index you pretty much don't need anymore these days so you can just skip on that one and unless you want to play with FW units you obviously don't need that one either. CA is just for updated points which you don't really need either if you use Battlescribe.