As a novice to painting, I can say it was arduous going from 0-60 with that aspect of the hobby. At the time I also had a second IG army and so for me, the expendable Conscripts earned their keep getting the idiot marks out. Took me 3.5 years to work up the courage to touch my BA. Now while i’m not good, I’m not bad either (if I may say so myself).

As for marks of power arm our for the IX Legion, I have mine in almost all MkIV since to me they are a “light” Legion compared to the “heavy” legions such as IV or X. Just the way I interpret it.

As for Death Company, here’s how I have thought of it (and back me up on this if you agree and/or know of any fluff that’s supports it):

Most cases of a Blood Angel/Successor falling to the Black Rage are individual cases. They can strike at any time, but there is a noticeable correlation between moments of Red Thirst making the fall to the BR much swifter. Hence why BA will “hulk out” during or just prior to a battle. For those who have the luxury or curse of going BR in a moment of relative calm, they will be locked away until the time is needed, with the proper rituals being performed including issuing special black armor or painting their own armor black. And the latter is where units of DC come from. They are a huge asset to any commander but it’s rare to have enough of them in “peacetime” so they are an uncommon but welcome asset...so long as they can be controlled.

Hence, in my version of a BA Codex, you could essentially roll a D6 for every BA model that is deployed to see if they get the Death Visions of Sang treatment. But if they fall, then they become a single model unit and such kinda sorta like the reverse of the SW Lone Wolf Strategem.*The idea being that the BR is simoultaneously a blessing and curse. And that established units of DC are more reliable since a commander can wield them in a specific manner rather than having one off units roaming around causing havoc.

I would radically alter the rules for Black Rage/DC as well, however.

*But of course that would blur the lines between us even further

As a novice to painting, I can say it was arduous going from 0-60 with that aspect of the hobby. At the time I also had a second IG army and so for me, the expendable Conscripts earned their keep getting the idiot marks out. Took me 3.5 years to work up the courage to touch my BA. Now while i’m not good, I’m not bad either (if I may say so myself).

As for marks of power arm our for the IX Legion, I have mine in almost all MkIV since to me they are a “light” Legion compared to the “heavy” legions such as IV or X. Just the way I interpret it.

As for Death Company, here’s how I have thought of it (and back me up on this if you agree and/or know of any fluff that’s supports it):

Most cases of a Blood Angel/Successor falling to the Black Rage are individual cases. They can strike at any time, but there is a noticeable correlation between moments of Red Thirst making the fall to the BR much swifter. Hence why BA will “hulk out” during or just prior to a battle. For those who have the luxury or curse of going BR in a moment of relative calm, they will be locked away until the time is needed, with the proper rituals being performed including issuing special black armor or painting their own armor black. And the latter is where units of DC come from. They are a huge asset to any commander but it’s rare to have enough of them in “peacetime” so they are an uncommon but welcome asset...so long as they can be controlled.

Hence, in my version of a BA Codex, you could essentially roll a D6 for every BA model that is deployed to see if they get the Death Visions of Sang treatment. But if they fall, then they become a single model unit and such kinda sorta like the reverse of the SW Lone Wolf Strategem.*The idea being that the BR is simoultaneously a blessing and curse. And that established units of DC are more reliable since a commander can wield them in a specific manner rather than having one off units roaming around causing havoc.

I would radically alter the rules for Black Rage/DC as well, however.

*But of course that would blur the lines between us even further

Certainly fits with how I always pictured them.

Reminiscent how they were in the 3E codex where you generated your DC by taking a Chaplain (who had to be their leader, which I always liked), then rolling a D6 for every other Marine in your army. I like how it represents that Death Company were not usually a standing force, and having a large DC was a double edged sword because it meant your other ranks were depleted.

I've definitely read some fluff about black rage guys being taken away and kept in some kind of segregation before they tip over into frenzy, though. And any survivors (on the rare occasion there are any) would surely be subdued and kept ready until the next battle, rather than given the Emperor's peace. Then there's DC Dreads.

Question:

The official Astorath the Grim kit, is the backpack/pass/ribbons piece supposed to stand up straight or be at an angle? Mine is at like a 30° angle.

Finally getting around to putting together a kit as my previous one broke then was recycled into bits.

Mine was at an angle and it drives me round the bend. Such a pain to straighten

I can see it being designed to give him a slight backwards-lean, like he’s really winding up for an axe blow. But mine seems even too far for that.

Glad I’m not the only one.

I'm currently on the fence about picking up a local selling a metal astorath. Mostly because I need the cashola for other things but partially because I'm not terribly hurting for models at the moment.

Good to know I may need to work the metal a bit if I were to make the purchase.

Just in case you guys hadn’t seen, there is a master artificer poll up from ETL. Not that I’m biased or anything, but you should go vote

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/358279-poll-etl-vii-master-artificer/?do=findComment&comment=5384979

Stop being greedy, you already got my vote. :tongue.:

Though the picture quality is not doing you any favours unfortunately. Way too dark and grainy compared to the others.

Edited by sfPanzer

Just in case you guys hadn’t seen, there is a master artificer poll up from ETL. Not that I’m biased or anything, but you should go vote

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/358279-poll-etl-vii-master-artificer/?do=findComment&comment=5384979

Though the picture quality is not doing you any favours unfortunately. Way too dark and grainy compared to the others.

Totally agree...I need to work on my setup. And maybe use something other than my phone...thanks though!

Totally agree...I need to work on my setup. And maybe use something other than my phone...thanks though!

Mm, I voted for MaliGn. I'm a sucker for Word Bearers. And for the new Chaos sculpts. But you were close! ^^

Mm, I voted for MaliGn. I'm a sucker for Word Bearers. And for the new Chaos sculpts. But you were close! ^^

Heretic!

Anybody reckons we’ll get something like a new Mephy model out of the Psychic Awakening? Baal was specifically mentioned and we already have a BA-Psyker miniature...

Would be awesome but I'd be surprised. Currently I see GW only touching the chapter masters for now. Maybe other characters will follow eventually. Depending on how long this whole Psychic Awakening narrative will be going it's definitely a possibility for Mephiston to get some love too though!

Yeah, but Tigurius got introduced along the new Codex rather than the Psychic Awakening. It's really hard to guess what it will bring for us. So far the Aeldari got a no-name Exarch to be followed up by a plastic kit for the Howling Banshees unit. Lets wait a bit longer. It is possible that they will also get one of their Phoenix Lords and those are really old models (just toying with the "Phoenix Rises" theme here :P). But if that's the case, it would potentially increase our chances for a named character re-vamp.

Anybody reckons we’ll get something like a new Mephy model out of the Psychic Awakening? Baal was specifically mentioned and we already have a BA-Psyker miniature...

Would be awesome but I'd be surprised. Currently I see GW only touching the chapter masters for now. Maybe other characters will follow eventually. Depending on how long this whole Psychic Awakening narrative will be going it's definitely a possibility for Mephiston to get some love too though!

Yeah wouldn’t hold my breath for it, it sure is some wishful thinking. I saw this really cool conversion of Meph using Ahriman’s robed legs and was wondering if Meph was going to get an updated model soon-ish.

Here's a question, if we would eventually get a box with 3 named characters, who would the 3rd one be? Astorath? The Sanguinor? 

My money would be on the sanguinor. I could easily imagening him getting a new statline who brings him close to primarch power.

Heretic!

Hush, you, I've been working on Chaos the whole time I've been doing ETL for the Blood Angels. I've even done up a Word Bearers "Dark Apostle" (read: the most 80's battle-priest ever) just yesterday.

Heretic!

Hush, you, I've been working on Chaos the whole time I've been doing ETL for the Blood Angels. I've even done up a Word Bearers "Dark Apostle" (read: the most 80's battle-priest ever) just yesterday.

Double heretic!

For me, the “triumvirate” of the Blood Angels is made up of Dante, Mephiston, the Sanguinor.

The Sanguinor is this mysterious warp-entity thingy that shows up when needed. Aka a literal angel come to save the day. He reminds the BA of what their role should be to others.

Mephiston is the dark side of the BA. He is the only person to come out the other side of the Black Rage. I love that everyone, even his own chapter brothers, feel uneasy around him. Some suspect that he made a pact with a daemon to overcome the BR and gain his current powers. I prefer the idea that he doesn’t need a daemon and that what lurks inside all with The Blood is actually worse than Daemonic possession. But Meph is cool enough to keep his head and stay focused on the job. What makes his character cool is that if anyone else ids what he did, would they still be so loyal?

And Dante holds it altogether. He is the light in the dark, the hope that never fades away, the aid unlooked for. And he carries the burden of knowing that dying in a glorious charge is the easy way out...living as long as he has (and to keep on living) is the tougher, yet more important path.

Corbulo is neat, but unfortunately not a huge deal (IMO). Same deal with Astorath. Lemartes is also pretty cool...I love the idea of a semi-sane Death Company person...but also not a crucial character in my mind. And let’s face it, anyone in the Death Company has a clock ticking on their survivability...if not, than they’re not being used properly!