Edit: here is a question. I can’t find any images of Death Company in Mk3 plate. Would there have not been any Mk3 marines by the time of the Scouring who might have been placed into the DC? Loremasters, help me?

The Black Rage didn't start happening until after the Siege of Terra, so right around the time of the Scouring. It could still have been early enough that the Chaplains didn't know what to look for, so they didn't have a Death Company per se. Everyone could still have been trying to figure out how to deal with the new phenomenon.

Thanks for the response. Does that in turn mean that DC should at the earliest be modelled in Mk4 plate? Or later marks still? I am rusty on when different Armour marks came in, in relation to BA history...

Edit: here is a question. I can’t find any images of Death Company in Mk3 plate. Would there have not been any Mk3 marines by the time of the Scouring who might have been placed into the DC? Loremasters, help me?

The Black Rage didn't start happening until after the Siege of Terra, so right around the time of the Scouring. It could still have been early enough that the Chaplains didn't know what to look for, so they didn't have a Death Company per se. Everyone could still have been trying to figure out how to deal with the new phenomenon.
Thanks for the response. Does that in turn mean that DC should at the earliest be modelled in Mk4 plate? Or later marks still? I am rusty on when different Armour marks came in, in relation to BA history...
Theoretically speaking, any mark of armor could be turned into DC as it was a question of living through Sanguinius' death.

But mk3 and mk4 are probably more popular.

At the time of the scouring its probable that you can find any mark of power armor in the DC, sans mark I. Even tho mark IV and V were the most common during the Heresy, the legions were so big in number that's probable that some marines would still be using older marks or at least modified versions of them.

Even at the modern times there are some chapters that can boast of having a couple of MK II suits in their armory, so its logical that there were more than a few MK III suits during the scouring. Especially if you take into account that during the Heresy a lot of MK IV and V suits were damaged to the point of marines having to revert to older marks.

Don't forget that the BAs were on Terra during the later stages of the heresy and so would have had ready access to the new Mk6 and Mk7 armour.

Conversely Mk4 might have been rarer as Horus ensured that the legions loyal to him were the first in line for shipments of Mk4 before he raised his standard at Istavaan. Horus recognised Sanguinius as a rival and planned to remove him despite Erebus's insistence that he be turned. This means it is unlikely that the BAs received large quantities of Mk4.

My personal interpretation is that during the Imperium Secundus period, the BAs would have had to struggle through with Mk2 and Mk3 armour together with whatever Mk5 variants were being cobbled together in Ultramar. Once they reached Terra, there would have been ample time for supplies of Mk6 and Mk7 to be distributed to replace worn-out wargear.

Don't forget that the BAs were on Terra during the later stages of the heresy and so would have had ready access to the new Mk6 and Mk7 armour.Conversely Mk4 might have been rarer as Horus ensured that the legions loyal to him were the first in line for shipments of Mk4 before he raised his standard at Istavaan. Horus recognised Sanguinius as a rival and planned to remove him despite Erebus's insistence that he be turned. This means it is unlikely that the BAs received large quantities of Mk4.My personal interpretation is that during the Imperium Secundus period, the BAs would have had to struggle through with Mk2 and Mk3 armour together with whatever Mk5 variants were being cobbled together in Ultramar. Once they reached Terra, there would have been ample time for supplies of Mk6 and Mk7 to be distributed to replace worn-out wargear.

I might be mistaken, but I think I read somewhere that BA were one of the first to receive MK4 plate, even for the entire legion, or most of it. Does anyone have a source on that?

Just for fun I've made myself a wet palette after watching a video from Tabletop Minions. 

:jawdrop: DEAR SANGUINIUS!! This thing is soooo fantastic!

It's a real world-changer for me. My paints become useable like 50 times longer, are easier to mix and and to keep thinned. I no longer have to worry that something will interrupt me and my perfect mix will dry-out in seconds while I handle whatever emergency appeared.
I heartily recommned anyone to give it a try if you're using brushes :)

I got myself a wet palette recently, haven't had chance to test it out yet. Took me a while because I couldn't seem to find the right type of paper. If there's one time you can call out GW for wanting to make more money, it's their suppression of the wet palette! Pretty absurd they don't sell a Citadel one, but of course they want you wasting paint on a dry pallette...

Also- It amuses me how often you come across "wet blending" being shown as a high level technique in videos and guides. In all other forms of painting, that's just called blending. But when you're working with tiny quantities of paint on a mini, it only really becomes possible at all when you have a wet palette.

I've always been at least vaguely into art, as I'm sure many of you have. Even if it's been a while, I did a couple huge psychedelic Da Vinci style pieces in acrylic for high school assignments. But I do have to wonder what it's like getting into this hobby if you're a complete novice who's never handled a paint brush before.

I'd honestly say it would absurd if they'd actually sell one. It's so easy to make on your own with stuff almost everybody has at home anyway lol

But I do have to wonder what it's like getting into this hobby if you're a complete novice who's never handled a paint brush before.

For me it wasn't an issue at all. All you need is someone to show you the ropes and basic techniques like not having too much paint on the brush, at least a little bit of thinning (though I actually did fine without thinning for a long long time simply by being careful enough), drybrushing and using washes.

Edited by sfPanzer

That was one of the first times I read about Blood Angels, finding that book in my dad's old stuff. Those 2nd edition books were great. (Even if a lot of the art has been exceeded)

I got a Ward-Dex: Blood Angels from a thrift store around here and fell in love with the Blood Angels before even learning the game. :happy.:

Is “parchment paper” in that video the same as greaseproof? Lost in translation for me...

It's different, and that's why it was difficult for me to find. All I can seem to get hold of round here is the waxy grease paper, which isn't right.

Instead I just ordered some membrane paper from Amazon. I took a bunch of blotter paper from work to use as the sponge.

I (re)use whatever in mine.

So it could be baking/greaseproof paper, it could be the paper that shop-bought pastry is rolled up in, it could be the paper on top of margarine (obviously these latter two are cleaned before use).

They all do the same job after all.

So...fellow Angels...if I were to change the color of the cat pelt on our beloved primarch...heresy or creative liberty?

Seeing how it is resin grey, I'd recommend a colour change...

Seriously though, painted FW models are allegedly done by staff for their army, so what you see on the website is personal interpretation rather than the exact paint scheme. It's a model for you army that rolls in your universe, so do as you please :)

... Or maybe someone pressed square rather than X during character select and chose a different outfit.

Edited by Jolemai