gallery_219585_16640_809881.jpg

So I primed it and the misses asked if she can paint it. She's only half painted 1 terminator librarian about 10 years ago which I've been asking her to finish on and off for... 10 years.

So I said yes, woke up this morning and she apologised to me saying its only half done... I went to propose to her before remembering thats already in the bag, I just hope its not another 10 years before she finishes it. Not sure the picture does it justice but I love it, puts my painting to shame.

Just have to figure out how to paint the blood and blade/claws

I kinda hope so. I have 2 5-man meltacide squads that I built to either drop pod in or ride in a Stormraven. They haven't really seen table time in 8th but with the boost to melta and going to 2 wounds each, it might be nice to actually field them.

Either that or I paint their helmets gold and run them as Sternguard. Is that a viable loadout? I could always call the melta guns combi-meltas if I need to.

Edited by Karhedron

Should be interesting. One could hand wave things to say that the General leading a force, by their nature, gets a Chapter Master-like command ability. As in, there's a difference between a general on the battlefield and The General on the battlefield. 

Am I weird for being most excited about a Chapter Champion? -1 To Hit, re-roll To Wound against characters, D:2 (or I think even 3 with the unique relic) sword, can get 5++ or even 4++, or even 3++ should we gain access to Shield Eternal relic, WLT that lets him re-roll Charges.....all with our Red Thirst? Yes please. 

...I envision the above as an assassin putting pressure on the enemy WL/buffing units thus taking some pressure off Capt Smash to go do his own thing less fettered. 

So given the post today do we think we can use the new custom chapter master rules to make a jump pack chapter master with inferno pistol and some kind of power/relic weapon, painted gold and called “Dante” in our heads, who’d be more effective for the points than the actual Dante rules?

Relic blade and inferno pistol could work quite nicely, perhaps. Just means giving up the character rolling special rule.

Edited by Thoridon

I don't know. Since Psychic Awakening, there seems to have been more effort on making named Characters better. The buff in power offsetting their lack of flexibility. I am cautiously hopeful that Dante will actually be playable again. If not then I suppose Not-Dante will just become a thing.

So given the post today do we think we can use the new custom chapter master rules to make a jump pack chapter master with inferno pistol and some kind of power/relic weapon, painted gold and called “Dante” in our heads, who’d be more effective for the points than the actual Dante rules?

Relic blade and inferno pistol could work quite nicely, perhaps. Just means giving up the character rolling special rule.

Seems like it. As long as we don't field Dante at the same time, we can make our own Chapter Master. 

With the New Codex SM, I'm presuming that the main character for each Chapter will actually be in the main codex - meaning Dante should get new rules pretty soon, or is this confirmed not to be true from the blurry image and all chapter specific characters are moved to supplements?

I’m assuming the main Codex will only have generic/shared units and that special characters will be in supplements, along with a list of which codex units we don’t have access to.

Even though one shouldn’t hope, but it’s possible that scouts might be in a different role than elites in our supplement. Can’t say if it’s something GW’d be willing to do.

To be fair, we don't need cheap Troops as much as we did in 8th. Dual Battalion was usually the competitive norm and gave us 13 CPs at the price of 6 Troops and 4 HQs. Now we can run a single Battalion at half those requirements and still have 13 CPs at the start of T1.

Eliminators are better snipers than Scouts. Infiltrators and Incursors are more durable. I don't think we need Scouts as much as we did at the start of 8th and we don't need cheap Troops as much either.

I’d technically agree with the sentiment, however it wouldn’t have hurt anyone to keep them as troops. There was no need in any way to move them. If you’d like to use Scouts as your troops choice, you should be able to. No one stops people from buying the fancy primaris units anyways...

Even though it’s rumoured that Incursors are going to take a hit as well...the exploding 6’s on their blades seem to be gone for good.

What’s also bugging me is the reduced size of armies. All our marines with double wounds will make squads quite small. while very close to the background, we’ll most likely suffer due to our already pricey Elite assault units needing to bear down in close combat, where volume of attacks is king with Red Thirst. I don’t think small SG squads without fists will have any say unless they get a serious buff in their profile (which I’d be all for!!).

We’ll see soon enough. I’m not liking these changes so far though, even though the codex needed toning down for sure.

Did we really need toning down? Outside of Captain Smash, we weren't that powerful (and he was a hard-counter for big threats rather than a game-winner on his own). Death Company were glass hammers and SG were good but expensive to build around with no Invulnerable save.

Anything in our list that was not melee-orientated was no better than any vanilla codex units but without benefits that other Chapters might have to shooting from their traits and stratagems. Even Space Wolves had a couple of handy strats to boost their shooting (Keen Senses, Wolf's Eye) but we were pretty much mono-build.