Casual 30k Hobby Challange. Month 2

Fire Golem

It definitely was :P

I really need to figure out a way to safely get all my 40k stuff too and from my girlfriends because at the moment like half the week I can't do anything, and I see all this inspirational stuff -.-

...That power Sword Reminded me that I have a TON of GK power swords that remain unused...WOO I CAN MAKE MYSELF SOME TEMPLAR BRETHREN!...until FW release their version, that is.

And here I was worrying that I'd have to buy more power weapon sets for swords :P

Aye, but I need Power Swords, not chainsword. The set only has 1 unsheathed Power Sword and 3 Chainswords. Rather useless to me :\

There's at least one power axe on there too from memory. I'd use that too.

True, but I still have some axes from other Kits tongue.png The Vanguard Vet box itself comes with a literal tub load of extra bits. Glad I picked up two of them. Sadly I'll never truly use them, I think.

Also, I have the Servin Loth & Honor Guard kit and those came with 5 Power Axes. So hey, I'm good there.

Barabbas Sogalon - That Praetor is glorious. Looking forward to your take on the VIII Legion. I gotta ask though, if they're not Night Lords, are you doing an Alt-Heresy scheme?

Nice fists, i assume you just use washes on them until there are yellow :>? (like forgeworlds alpha legion)

Exactly, though I'm obviously not doing the metallic thing. Too much effort for the rank and file guys, though I will give it a crack on my command squad. Lamenters Yellow is the single best paint that GW have ever made (aside from Flesh Wash). It's really easy to get a decent result, and if there's anyone wanting to try Fists (or any other strong yellow army) but is feeling tentative about painting that much yellow, I'd recommend this above any other method.

They look like Death Guard so far tongue.png

Not any more! Though some of Mortarion's sons might just be gracing my paint station come the new year... msn-wink.gif

gallery_67188_8872_194741.jpg

Apologies again for the sloppy photography... This was taken late last night and the lighting in my front room is no good at all. However, the Seeker element of my pledge is now complete! Still got to do the Rhino, of course, but I'll post the full squad when I get home tonight.

They are part of a Terran company that still cling to the old ways from before Kurze and refuse to be associated with him. I'm painting them in Unification colours, using the Crimson Sons scheme from Massacre minus the bleeding eyes. Got a few finished ones in the Shadows in the Storm thread over in the WIP forum.

Hi guys, was wondering if some of the more rules savvy among you could just give my list a quick run down? I posted it the other day, but it didn't get much in the way of traffic. Just wanna check its not complete crap (although it's based off my last NL/AL one so it shouldn't be).

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297573-sons-of-horusalpha-legion-2500pts/?do=findComment&comment=3826140

Gonna build a few more guys when I get home from work too, and when my paints turn up (probably tomorrow) I'll do a couple of test models :)

managed to finish of Aggo, leader of seeker talon. first time doing any majorish freehand, i think it turned out alright.

http://i.imgur.com/1pFRFPs.jpg

Born on the wild and inhospitable great eastern plain, a radscoured waste covered in the ruins and bones of an ancient civilization, Aggo was born into the tribes of the area and showed great aptitude with the rifle from an early age.

http://i.imgur.com/SxCjQNG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JtDXy5a.jpg

​When the scions of the emperor came upon these brutal tribes, they did so with great zeal. Early patterns of thunder armour were no match for the advanced energy rifles of the plainsmen, and the slow moving tank and foot formations were easy prey for the mounted elements of the tribes.

http://i.imgur.com/vPFmP07.jpg

When victory came to the imperial forces it came after a long and bloody guerrilla campaign with few pitched battles. reinforcements were in great supply, as well as new commanders, for the toll had been high and bloody for line command. 

http://i.imgur.com/U4boREO.jpg

The dust was everywhere, a pervasive blanket coating all. It reduced visibility and rendered heat seeking incoherent. The acrid taste of it was heavy on the tongue, yet another hardship added to the conquest of the plains. A building loomed up out of gloom, sudden in the clouds of swirling particles. Moving up to the entrance, Barristan signaled for the rest of alpha squad to form up to breach. 

"3..2..1...BREACH!" he called across the vox. 

spinning round to kick down the door he was caught full in the visor by the answering beam of light. 

A headless corpse fell to the ground, liquified matter dribbling down the remnants of its chest piece. "1" whispered a voice from the shadows, followed by the sound of a cartridge being ejected, then a soft plink as it rolled into the light.

first proper attempt at adding back story to character, any good? 

C+C greatly appreciated. 

Cheers Barabbas! I'll take a look.

TearsOfTheRaven - I really like the mood of your back story, but I can't see your pictures!

Now... as promised... 'Better' photos...

First off, this month's four -

gallery_67188_8872_621800.jpg

And the full squad...

gallery_67188_8872_62837.jpg

They still need bases, of course, but I'm struggling to find any that work for me. That said, I think I've got about 30 resin bases in a box somewhere, so we'll see how we go!

Got 5 marines built now, thanks to waking up at like 3 thismorning and taking ages to get back to sleep :p

http://i.imgur.com/JyDX4Uw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I79VU3D.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Mv9Vudi.jpg

Sorry about the crappy images, and ignore the mess in the background. I know it's hardly an update but, until I get my paints I can't really do anything else.

I found them right at the bottom of a bucket of bits I have, I think they're from some Vampire Counts skeletons I had a couple of years ago :) I'm gonna paint them gold dipped like in some of the art in Betrayal.

---- Start of Week 2 ----

Well guys, seven days of October have passed, so I thought I'd try an summarise where things stand... First, the teams:

The Loyalists - beloved of the Emperor - the loyal sons (11 members)

Reyner - Loyalist Iron Warriors - IV

Russ Brother 92 - Iron Hands - X

Castiel - Salamanders - XVIII

Daismith906 - Dark Angels - I

Mind of Metal - Mechanicum

Kor'Vesh - Salamanders - XVIII

Slipstreams - Imperial Fists - VII

d@n - Iron Hands - X

One eye - White Scars - V

Barabbus Sogolon - The VIII Legion (pre- Kurze Night Lords) - VIII

Frozen Foods - Salamanders - XVIII

The Traitors - followers of Horus - the heretics, followers of the warp (10 members)

Fire Golem - The Sons of Horus and Alpha Legion - XVI and XX

Thunor's Hammer - The Infernal Guard

Atia - Death Guard and Mechanicum -XIV

Brother Vidius - Iron Warriors - IV

Daemon2027 - Sons of Horus and Mechanicum - XVI

Betrayer41 - World Eaters - XII

Tears of the Raven - Traitor Raven Guard - XIX

Bulbafist - Iron Warriors - IV

Wyvern - World Eaters - XII

Excessus - Alpha Legion - XX

The double agent - probably Alpharius (1 member)

StruManChu - Imperial Fists and World Eaters - VII and XII

So, the loyalists are ahead on pledges, for the first time all month. At this stage we have no completed pledges though, so it is all to play for. I thought another good way to compare the sides, rather than just on pledge completion would be on the type of units painted. I'll give a score for each type, based on the size or complexity of the models. My thought is:

Infantry - 1 point; Large Infantry (termies, bikes etc.) - 2 points; Monstrous infantry - 3 points; Vehicles - 6 points; Lord of War - 10 points.

So on this measure the pledges are as follows:

Loyalists: 73 infantry, 8 heavy infantry; 4 monstrous infantry; 8 vehicles  ---  Toal score 149

Traitors: 134 infantry, 1 heavy infantry; 3 monstrous infantry; 2 vehicles; 2 Lords of War  ---  Total score 177

Yep - The traitors are ahead on pledged models, and one of their members hasn't pledged anything specific yet. The Loyalists will have to be very productive to win!

Progress

Loyalists

A relatively quiet first week for the loyalists, obviously shocked by the great betrayal. Mind of Metal has made some great progess painting his Castellax battle automata, and I've (Kor'Vesh) managed to almost finish the first three of my pyroclast squad. We've also seen the first progress on One-eye's White Scar Sicaran battle tank (something I'm very excited to see), and an exceptional VIII Legion Praetor conversion from Barabbas Sogolon.

Thankfully, our double agent - StruManChu - has made great progress, completing an Imperial Fist Seeker squad (bar the bases), with a cool yellow-wash based scheme.

Traitors

Atia and Thunor's Hammer have lead the way for the traitors, making good progress on relatively large pledges. Atia has built and base coated a Fell Blade and Knight, and is employing shock and awe tactics against the loyalists to great effect. Meanwhile the Infernal Guard will soon be bolstered by a full squad of Volkite caliver toting marines.

Tears of the Raven produced the first complete model for the traitors, with progress on his seeker squad, while both Brother Vidis and Fire Golem have been busily assembling their marines.

Plenty to play for guys. There's been good progress so far, and Fire Golem has pretty much commited to a legion! :) Sorry if I missed out anyone's progress. Lets push things forward for week 2!

Kor'Vesh

I'm glad you have commited Fire Golem. The Sons of Horus models are stunning, and the Legion has an awesome feel. I'm really looking forward to seeing how your force progresses! I think the skulls and top Knots you've added to your models, as well as the mixed armour marks, are going to give a great SoH flavour.

Archived