IL VII - The Berserkers of Uran (thread 1)

Raktra

So, the ridiculous went both ways during that last fight, but still. I'm under the general impression that Raktra is much more lethal than my experiments are letting on and perhaps would fare better against a Primarch that doesn't have the warp on his side. I'd suggest trying him out against one of the middle-class dueling Primarchs, like Dorn. 

Uni was terrible today, so I whipped this up instead of programming drum patterns:

High Chaplain Vyrn A'kaarta

Scar of the Deceiver, the Last Shepherd, Master of Sanctity

WS:5 BS:5 S:4 T:4 W:3 I:5 A:3 LD:10 Sv:3+

Cost - 180

Unit Composition

1 (unique)

​Unit Type

Infantry, character

Wargear

Hardened power armour

Refractor field

Frag/krak grenades

Hand flamer

Master crafted power maul

​Special Rules

Zealot

Counterattack

LA: BoU

A Few Good Men

Warlord Trait - Paladin of Glory

A Few Good Men - a force containing Vyrn must have him as its Warlord. Under no circumstance may it contain Khel, Dorran, or the Primarch Raktra, or any Desolist Consuls. The "Daemons, We Are" warlord trait may not be selected. Instead, his force must use the following:

RoW - A Few Good Men

Faith Healers - Tactical Squads, Breachers, Veteran Tactical Squads and Tactical Support Squads may upgrade their sergeant to an Apothecary for +30pts, using the profile, wargear and rules presented in the Apothecarion unit entry. He may not choose further options.

Hold! - Scoring models gain counterattack and may re-roll any 6s for morale when on an objective

Secure The Prisoners - +1VP for each enemy unit caught by sweeping advance whilst out of their deployment zone. Note that the enemy unit must be destroyed as a result of these actions

Veteran Tactical Squads may be taken as Troops choices

Limits:

Must take an additional troops choice

Must take a fortification slot with a minimum cost of 75pts

May not take more than one fast attack slot

Note that Vyrn is the ONLY way to access this RoW.

As a drummer whose had to programs parts a few times, I do not envy you that.

Having a 30 point sarge upgrade for essentially an augury scanner and fnp and no other options seems funky. Thankfully, the Red Scorpions in 40k have a similar rule so you could see how yours stacks up to it. Granted I dont know what it does beyond give Apoth sarges.

I think that forcing an extra troops and fortification is a bit much, no? What are you looking for this force to do by forcing a fortification? Seems rather counter to a Chaplain since they want to get into the thick of things and stay there due to their rules. Unless you have different plans for him?

Was trying to make the boosts etc given almost the total opposite of the usual Berserker style. I didn't put huge amounts of thought into this other than "DIFFERENT" and "I HATE ABLETON".

Well, If you want, you could make him a Vigilator or a more shooty oriented HQ instead. That would make more sense for a diametrically opposed character within the Legion Structure than, say, a Chaplain who wants to get in combat and stay there.

Maybe have the Mandatory extra troops be a Heavy Support Squad in a Fortification instead? Reinforce the idea that this guy and his boys like to hunker down and shoot things dead.

Plan two:
Vigilator Prime Vyrn A'kaarta
Scar of the Deceiver, the Last Shepherd

WS:5 BS:5 S:4 T:4 W:3 I:5 A:3 LD:9 Sv:3+

Cost - 180

Unit Composition
1 (unique)

​Unit Type
Infantry, character

Wargear
Hardened power armour
Refractor field
Frag/krak grenades
Bolt pistol
Cameleoline
Power sword
Wishbone

​Special Rules
Sniper
Stubborn
Counterattack
LA: BoU
A Few Good Men

Warlord Trait - Help?

Wishbone - RNG:36" S:5 AP:4 Salvo 1/4, Bone-Breaker Round
BBR - may instead choose to fire at S:6 AP:3 Heavy 1

A Few Good Men - a force containing Vyrn must have him as its Warlord. Under no circumstance may it contain Khel, Dorran, or the Primarch Raktra, or any Desolist Consuls. Chaplain Consuls are again permitted. The "Daemons, We Are" RoW may not be selected. Instead, his force must use the following:

RoW - The Old Ways

Surgical Proficiency - Tactical Squads, Breachers, Veteran Tactical Squads and Tactical Support Squads may upgrade their sergeant to an Apothecary for +30pts, using the profile, wargear and rules presented in the Apothecarion unit entry. He may not choose further options.

Hold! - Scoring models gain counterattack and may re-roll any 6s for morale when on an objective

Secure The Prisoners - +1VP for each enemy unit caught by sweeping advance whilst in the Berserkers' deployment zone. Note that the enemy unit must be destroyed as a result of these actions

Veteran Tactical Squads may be taken as Troops choices. Any taken in this manner must choose the sniper special rule

Limits:
Must take a fortification slot with a minimum cost of 75pts
May not take more than one fast attack slot

Note that Vyrn is the ONLY way to access this RoW.

Started off the Primarch fights! And going off Sim's suggestion, and my hatred of the Imperial Fists, I chose Dorn to duel first. It was... Messy.

They had not expected this world to be so heavily fortified. After their flight from the Imperium, the Berserkers had searched for (and discovered) what they believed to be a world with the barest minimum of human life on it, and one regarded as strategically worthless by the Imperium too, so it made perfect sense to make a temporary settlement there before forming a more coherent long-term plan. What they found on the surface, apparently hidden by dozens of layers of disruptive signal jammers and cloaking devices, was a greeting party of Imperial Fists led by their insufferable Primarch. Raktra cursed them, and the diviners that no doubt aided them, and met them on the field.
"Raktra!" Dorn bellowed, raising Storm's Teeth. "Stop this insolence at once, and return to Terra for sentencing! Do not waste the lives of any more of your sons because of your stupid, petty attitude towards authority!" Raktra responded by shouting a vulgarity, and drawing Heartworm, his men following suit. "Brother," Dorn said, almost pleading now. "You are better than this."
The sharp sounds of hammer hitting round sounded and the two Marines flanking Dorn dropped to the ground, one with a gaping hole in his shin and the other missing half of his head.
"I know," said Raktra, his gun smoking. "But none of
you are."

First turn roll goes to Raktra, who moves up and imitates his previous actions by firing off two shots with Heartworm, this time aiming at his brother. The Auric Armour stands strong though, and the rounds bounce off. Attempting to charge, Raktra falls short by 1" before using his Fleet re-rolls to close the distance. Dorn unloads with the Voice of Terra at his rebellious brother and manages to hit twice, despite the desperate rush to bring his sword to bear at the same time, scoring one rending wound that Raktra fails to save.
Raktra: 5 Dorn: 6
In the assault phase, Raktra swings first, Dorn being too slow with Storm's Teeth to pre-empt him. A savage storm of attacks is unleashed, with Raktra hitting with five of his seven attacks, of which ALL OF THEM WOUND despite only wounding on a 3+, and after re-rolls caused by Grind, ALL SAVES FAIL. Dorn is left bloody and torn, and it shows when his four attacks translate to only a single hit that doesn't wound, even with Shred factored in. IWND is cancelled out by Sire of the Berserkers, and Raktra fails his roll.

Raktra: 5 Dorn: 1 (Jesus Christ!)

Round two of combat, and again Raktra swings first, the Grinder hitting three out of six times and wounding twice. Dorn fails both saves with a 2 and a 1, so Grind doesn't even need to come into play to finish the Praetorian off.

For all his honour and noble intent, neither protected Dorn as the Grinder repeatedly cut through him, cruel teeth yanking pounds of flesh away with each merciless swing. Around him his sons fought and died just the same, unprepared for how swiftly the Berserkers would turn an intervention into a bloodbath. Gasping, Dorn managed to speak once more.
"Brother, why? Our father-"
"Father?" Raktra interrupted, stopping his assault for a moment. His eyes were ablaze. "I don't have a father. I just don't like you, that's all." He revved the Grinder once more to give Dorn a chance to scream before he plunged the whirring blade down his brother's throat.

Archived