Happy Times!

Sume

I am so happy.  I ordered the imperial amour book 2.  I showed the guy that runs the tournaments and leagues at my local store.  He took a look and saw the 40k stamp of approval.  Told me it was fine to field repressors.  Now I want to get the flyer book.

Happy times for me!  I am glad that they finally relented on the forgeworld stuff.  As most of these people never even played against and from the forgeworld stuff of the 90s I can see it having a bad rep.  Also the unknown.  

My argument was if your allowing all these data slates and players say they dont know what forgeworld has, its the same for the data slates.  Just that 40k stamp is what sealed the deal for me.

FW is "legal", the issue is as ever people's perception. You can't make someone play something they don't want but this is a good step in the right direction for you :D Once you start showing people that FW isn't out to steal their babies and ruin 40k you will be converting them to resin soon enough as they flick through the books and think "that'd be a cool model to field" smile.png

You will have to follow up this good news with some nice pictures of your Repressors thumbsup.gif

See were I am I get the FW hate, I personally don't like some of the changes to 40k in general since I started but that is a different topic. In my area, justifing FW stuff money wise is hard for pretty much every one. Also the few people that have IA books don't like to hand them out for others to look at, as they are "their babies" and don't want them damaged so I don't know the stats for tanks at tournaments and stuff like that. The store owners/TOs in the area just want people in their stores and playing, so don't care what people do.

I am not saying that I know every unit in every army book/codex, nor that IA/FW stuff is over powered. BUT when people show up with IA stuff and don't let you look at the rules in the book that only they own gets rough fast. Not saying you are going to do that, at least for how it sounds.

I wouldn't mind IA2 as it has a SoB tank in it that would be ok to use to me.

We've got a couple guys around me that run Forgeworld stuff. Right now its mostly Fireraptors, fancy Knights, and I'll run my Repressor. There hasn't been much hate. We keep copies of rules on hand and typically other people like to peruse the Forgeworld books. Even the local King Con tourny is allowing most Forgeworld.

Only a complete ninny wouldn't show their opponent the rules for a unit, FW or not.

You can always ask to see the rules to check unit price, upgrade options or how any special rule works. If they don't have the rule, it does not exist.

I have had a lot of success with having my Repressors accepted by showing my oponent the rules, explaining exactly what it does and how it is comparable to other similar vehicles and their cost. It is the same cost as a chimers, has a heavy flamer like a chimera, allows 2 people to fire from the top like a chimera, lets 3 people to fire from each side like a chimera (used to), it has a BS 4 storm bolter in place of the BS 3 multi-laser (same number of hits, weaker strength, better AP). A squad of sisters in a Repressor is nothing to be afraid of any more than a melta vet squad in a chimera.

The trick is to guide people to this conclusion in a way that lets them think they thought of it first.

I plan to have photo copies of the repressor entry for tournaments.  That way i can just show them, as I had people tell me I couldnt field 4 meltaguns in dominions too as they havent seen the new ecodex, and think that it is the same as the white dwarf entry.     I just show them my print out.  Issue done.  

I have seen nothing to suggest that Forgeworld is categorically broken.

Also, Forgeworld is not particularly hard to get ahold of. Shipping cost is 10% of the value of your purchase, which really isn't that big a deal. Worst comes to worst, you can get together with your buddies and wait until you have enough purchases to get free shipping - also not that hard. I think the difficulty of acquiring Forgeworld and the power of the units are both vastly overestimated, which creates the impression that Forgeworld is "pay to win." The truth couldn't be more different.

AV13 transport actually looks pretty decent on paper. I have been playing with the thought of a Sisters allied detachment using Repressors.

I wonder if that AV13 goodness can give them an edge against all that S7 spam.

In actual game use, they die like Immolators. You have to be up close and aggressive with Repressors and their melta gun cargo so side and rear shots are common. With more AV 13 vehicles like Exorcists or Predators you can stay back, guard the flanks and keep the AV 13 pointed towards your enemy but transports do not get that option. Not that I am saying the AV 13 front is worthless because it is great to have ... point it at the unit with Interceptor when you Outflank, for example. But after contact with the enemy, it tends to draw a lot of fire from multiple facings smile.png

Yeah, but once you are close, it won't matter if the transport dies. It will have delivered its cargo. The first turn is what matters, since if a unit's transport dies in the deployment zone, it is taken out of the game. During the first turn, it is unlikely to get shots on the side, unless you completely suck at deploying. AV13 has the advantage of being hard to kill but not being unkillable, thus able to draw fire away from other units.

I am against FW im competitive play for a few reasons.

1: Not every army gets the same treatment, some benefit greatly others not at all.

2: The rules are not readily available, and can be awkward for players facing fw units

2: The balancing is WAAAAAY off, even by Gw standards. Some units are game changing cheese, others utter garbage

I my experience, FW is mostly garbage. There are one or two golden units per book, like the Sicaran or Repressor in IA2, but it is mostly for collectors who don't know any better. Tau is the only exception, who get one broken thing after the other and the only army that would be stronger with majority of FW models as opposed to without.

well, I can afford neither. I already have a collection though ;)

But even then - when you bring a unit/model to a game, you better bring its rules too. And that way you make the rules readily available for anyone who wants to read it.

That's why you bring your codex to the game too. I don't have every codex in the game, but when I play against tau, I can look up any tau unit I want because the opponent has the tau codex. When I play against FW, the opponent has the relevant books on him so I can look up any rules pertaining those particular models, thus making the rules readily available.

It's not a competition tongue.png

ISN'T IT?!

Oh wait, it's not...

OT: My experience with Forgeworld is kind of a mixed bag. I've played a few of the okay, fun fluffy units but at the same time I've played against the units that are stupidly undercosted for what they give you. It's just my personal experience, but when I play vs Forgeworld units it's usually a good sign that the opponent is going to be a cheese monger of the highest calibre rolleyes.gif

The argument of Forgeworld not being readily available is kinda backwards.  Take all the data slates for example.  Those are not to readily available too, but have been allowed since they where released at my store.  

I got to play a game with them.  When some of the players saw my transports didn't go down to small arms fire in the first round.  They recanted on allowing Forgeworld.  Guess they just like being able to wreck face and get first blood turn one shrug.   Oh well it was fun, and I have a few friends that will let me play them in causal play.  So works for me.

... oi. Who you calling a cheesemonger?

Well, not you...

More so the guys using the 5hp, melta immune quad lascannon landraider with stupid carrying capacity, the bs5 5++ 7 shot rending dreadnoughts, the bs6 imperial knight (as if the standard knights aren't already undercosted) and of course the new flying riptides. :p

When I see these units on the table, it is usually in a force including other riptides, inquisition, imperial fist devastators and any other models that the player has read are the best. :p

... oi. Who you calling a cheesemonger?

Well, not you...

More so the guys using the 5hp, melta immune quad lascannon landraider with stupid carrying capacity, the bs5 5++ 7 shot rending dreadnoughts, the bs6 imperial knight (as if the standard knights aren't already undercosted) and of course the new flying riptides. tongue.png

When I see these units on the table, it is usually in a force including other riptides, inquisition, imperial fist devastators and any other models that the player has read are the best. tongue.png

And then they lose because 1) they have no idea how to handle them because they suck since they were forced to read it up and 2) most of those units you mentioned are horribly inefficient :P

Archived