Happy Times!

Sume

Well, why I disagree with point 2; the original intent of my post was to show the type of player that forgeworld usually means from my experience. Yes they may lose but it usually means I'm playing someone who is going to push the boundaries with every little instance in the game.

So back to the beginning, I like forgeworld, I have no qualms playing it. Some of the stuff is out of whack and locally speaking, people who go heavy forgeworld in their armies tend to be tiresome to play against.

... oi. Who you calling a cheesemonger?

Well, not you...

More so the guys using the 5hp, melta immune quad lascannon landraider with stupid carrying capacity, the bs5 5++ 7 shot rending dreadnoughts, the bs6 imperial knight (as if the standard knights aren't already undercosted) and of course the new flying riptides. tongue.png

When I see these units on the table, it is usually in a force including other riptides, inquisition, imperial fist devastators and any other models that the player has read are the best. tongue.png

Yeah, but the Spartan is still 300+ points for all that and the Contemptor Dreadnoughts are at minimum 150+ Also, their invulnerable is 5++ in CC only. If not its a 6++

Can't comment on the knights just yet. Dont have any/ played any but I will soon in a HH campaign where one player has a list with 4. (do note we're playing at 4k points each in a 3v3).

Well, not you...

More so the guys using the 5hp, melta immune quad lascannon landraider with stupid carrying capacity, the bs5 5++ 7 shot rending dreadnoughts, the bs6 imperial knight (as if the standard knights aren't already undercosted) and of course the new flying riptides. tongue.png

When I see these units on the table, it is usually in a force including other riptides, inquisition, imperial fist devastators and any other models that the player has read are the best. tongue.png

Yeah, but the Spartan is still 300+ points for all that and the Contemptor Dreadnoughts are at minimum 150+ Also, their invulnerable is 5++ in CC only. If not its a 6++

Can't comment on the knights just yet. Dont have any/ played any but I will soon in a HH campaign where one player has a list with 4. (do note we're playing at 4k points each in a 3v3).

I know that if someone offered me 2 extra twin-linked lascannons, an extra hull point, +15 carrying capacity and melta immunity for only 65 points, I would take it every time :p It might not be the greatest unit in 40k but it is clearly undercosted for what it brings. It is a prime example of what I'm talking about and frankly where a lot of the negativity towards Forgeworld stems from.

People who run armies of these things (and yes I have faced all 3 in a single game) are not doing the forgeworld using community any favours!

• 4 months later...

Well hope its not thread necromancy on my own post.  An update on this one.   Seems sometime since I been out of 40k.  Since October or so, as I had no desire to play when I kept having my hopes look up with the access of Forgeworld rules.  

Now for tournaments and escalation leagues they are now allowing Forgeworld.  I guess I was not a lone crusader in wanting this.  There was several others that wanted to use some alternative army lists found in the armor books.   So I have put in for a order of imperial armor 2 and the aeronautica book and the Avenger.  

I am looking forward to this change.  

I did see something about using Blood Angel drop pods.  This did intrigue me but I got to find out how it works exactly.  That may help as I did recently get a 7th edition rulebook.  I had my choice of prizes at a 2 day fantasy event that I took my Bretonnions to and got drawn first.  Nothing else interested me so I grabbed the Stormclaw box set.

Also hi everyone.   I hope to try to get back into swing of things and see what I can do with my Sisters.

Welcome back Sume :) While not huge amounts have changed since October it'll take you a while to get up to speed so you can settle back in at your own pace. Looks like you did pry open that door to FW and once people start peeking in it's only a matter of time until they want some of the models! :D

Maybe use some of that time to give us the Repressor pictures we're still waiting for ;)

It's not a competition tongue.png

Oh, but you are wrong. The only reason you could disagree is because you are losing so badly you cannot see it.

SCNR

The argument of Forgeworld not being readily available is kinda backwards. Take all the data slates for example. Those are not to readily available too, but have been allowed since they where released at my store.

And if you want to be paranoid, the digital only dataslates are much easier to manipulate than physical FW books.

I got to play a game with them. When some of the players saw my transports didn't go down to small arms fire in the first round. They recanted on allowing Forgeworld. Guess they just like being able to wreck face and get first blood turn one shrug. Oh well it was fun, and I have a few friends that will let me play them in causal play. So works for me.

Bummer. At least you have some reasonable fellows that let you field the repressors in casual games.

I know that if someone offered me 2 extra twin-linked lascannons, an extra hull point, +15 carrying capacity and melta immunity for only 65 points, I would take it every time tongue.png It might not be the greatest unit in 40k but it is clearly undercosted for what it brings. It is a prime example of what I'm talking about and frankly where a lot of the negativity towards Forgeworld stems from.

People who run armies of these things (and yes I have faced all 3 in a single game) are not doing the forgeworld using community any favours!

It may be undercosted, but then Codex Land Raiders are kinda overcosted, so whaddya do :/ And no, I don't have a Spartan of my own, just two ol' LRC/LRRs.

Personally never even saw anyone fielding anything from FW so far.

We live fairly close to Nottignham and Birmingham (where Games Day UK is held), so we see quite a lot of FW stuff... since its the cost of a train ride or petrol rather than paying postage to get it.

@ Warriorfish

My thoughts on scratch building my own went out the door after that only causal game where I tried them out.  Funny the ones that where 'crying cheese" are the ones that will normally spam Space Wolf cavalry and think its not cheesy, or some absurd detachment combo to min max out of 5 different codexes.

I do have two chimeria dozer blades I planned to use, and if this works out I want to get some more.  I even got the flammer part I was going to use as the pinticle mount.  My only real snag is trying to figure out how to make the raised area.  I did hit a blank wall on that, so I will look all over for some inspiration.   

I used foamboard clad in thin plasticard, although it proved to have some durability issues. The advantage, on the other hand, was that I could just press it onto the top of the Rhino and the little spiky details on top of the rhino (the little antennae, the air con, etc) held it in place as long as you don't touch the box.

Well, not you...

I know that if someone offered me 2 extra twin-linked lascannons, an extra hull point, +15 carrying capacity and melta immunity for only 65 points, I would take it every time tongue.png It might not be the greatest unit in 40k but it is clearly undercosted for what it brings. It is a prime example of what I'm talking about and frankly where a lot of the negativity towards Forgeworld stems from.

In fairness I would use a model like that in a fluffy setting for my Black Templars, besides the old rules for Bless Hull Made immune to lance so I would claim this was the case here but just for Meltas.

Anyway you try and fine a landraider than can hold a 20 man Squad. :P

But no, I use a fair few FW models and rules, I do like the tactical advantage of some such as the Mortis Pattern which allows me to take a ground for and have anti air ready which is exactly what i want but in truth if its ugly i avoid the hell out of it, its rule of cool for me. ;)

Archived