New Black Library Submissions Window

Perrin

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/book-news/10241-black-library-open-submissions-window

Some interesting news for all of you budding authors out there. According to the above link from Starburst Magazine, it was announced at the Weekender yesterday that a new submissions window will soon be opening.

It's a lot stricter than usual, probably due to all of the known issues that have plagued previous versions.

The window will be open from December 8th to January 21st, the subject is Death Watch and writers are limited to a single paragraph (500 words) summary.

Good luck to anyone planning on taking part thumbsup.gif

Credit to Ambull Tau on Warseer for first posting this over there.

Well good luck to anyone trying.

Though a 500 word summary seems a bit odd. Doesn't really give much indication of writing ability, nor is it enough of a pitch to tell if someone has an idea formed out enough to develop into a full-fledged novel. 

I guess they're expecting to get deluged, lol.

Nothing wrong with Deathwatch, per se.  If it forces anything on the writer, it's diversity (as the kill team will likely be comprised of Space Marines from a number of Chapters) and the involvement of filthy xenos.

In our modern age of Skype, Facetime and other video call services, would being based abroad be really make a huge deal? Correct me if I'm wrong but ADB is based in Northern Ireland, that's still a plane or ferry trip away, albeit a lot shorter plane ride.

I think two details have been conflated - my understanding was that it was a one paragraph synopsis AND a 500 word extract.

I wish it wasn't Deathwatch. Anything but.... plus the 500 word limit.

That's sort of the point. BL is a commercial enterprise, someone may think their story about Gitnak the Squig Herder is fantastic but the grot fanfic audience is small. BL wants to be able to say, "We need a new novel to tie in with Codex [x] so write us one."

In our modern age of Skype, Facetime and other video call services, would being based abroad be really make a huge deal? Correct me if I'm wrong but ADB is based in Northern Ireland, that's still a plane or ferry trip away, albeit a lot shorter plane ride.

I'm not sure what Marshal2Crusaders is referring to specifically but although it's not physically attached to England/Scotland/Wales Northern Ireland is still part of the UK and thus things like Copyright Law are consistent.

IIRC from the weekender, the details are the following:

You write an outline for a Deathwatch story, along with a 500 word excerpt of your best writing of something that happens in said story. You submit a Microsoft Word document, along with the covering email, in which you paste your 500 word except. The actual story enough comes under the nebulous category of 'shot story', which to me means anything between 1000 and 10,000 words.

I think two details have been conflated - my understanding was that it was a one paragraph synopsis AND a 500 word extract.

I wish it wasn't Deathwatch. Anything but.... plus the 500 word limit.

That's sort of the point. BL is a commercial enterprise, someone may think their story about Gitnak the Squig Herder is fantastic but the grot fanfic audience is small. BL wants to be able to say, "We need a new novel to tie in with Codex [x] so write us one."

No I understand the point.... I was speaking from an inspriational stand point. There is topic matter that sets my jimmies on fire, and there is some that just does nothing for me. Deathwatch would be one of those.  I have thought of a storyline for this, but I'd probably rather shave with a cheese grator than put pen to paper on it.

But good luck! Kick butt and have fun with it.

Anyone can write a cool summary, but can everyone deliver with the product? Also, if you aren't UK based, don't plan on being hired. Too many obstacles in between colonials and the motherland.

Awww.... wallbash.gif

Obstacles, yes, but not insurmountable ones smile.png

• 3 weeks later...

Archived