Is the autocannon our best weapon?

irwit

Depends what you're comparing them against, but the Exterminator suffers from "I can get this fire power elsewhere" syndrome yes. Good if you need what it provides of course, but most of the time you're taking a Russ for some of the other more unique weaponry. Pask as ever changes this though, the little scamp that he is.

The autocanon leman russ i think would be better taken as a squadron outside of the tank commander.   The rerolls to hit make more sense and decent range.  Its just overcosted in my opinion vs the other options.  

Good to know autocanons are feared outside the Astra Militarum!

I'm trying one out as a buddy to Pask, but yeah, it's still a bit meh as I can cram Autocannon weapons into everywhere else in my list, and taking an Exterminator means not taking an Eradicator/Executioner/Battle Tank/Vanquisher/Demolisher/Punisher...basically any other weapon provides something that can't be had elsewhere in the Codex, (though there are crossovers between the Eradicator and Hellhound, naturally.)

It isn't bad at all, merely a bit bland and more of the same. A good but not great choice, you could do worse, but you could also do a lot better for a Russ.

I think if I was vs one I would just ignore until I got an easy shot at side or rear armour.   However vs a Punisher, Demolisher,  Executioner, Battle tank,  even if its av14 I would have to have a crack at it as left unchecked it could cause so much damage.   

I do believe the autocannon russ makes a great partner to pask in a punisher. They do well on the same targets so there is less dependence on orders, and it can still shoot it's sponsons and hull mounted gun.

I've been running the Exterminator as a buddy to Pask, and to be honest it hasn't done anything in the three games I've played.

Just wondering how you equip it?

Sponson Multi-Meltas and Lascannon. I have a Techpriest sitting next to the squadron to hand out Power of the Machine Spirit as-needed.

I've been running the Exterminator as a buddy to Pask, and to be honest it hasn't done anything in the three games I've played.

Just wondering how you equip it?

Sponson Multi-Meltas and Lascannon. I have a Techpriest sitting next to the squadron to hand out Power of the Machine Spirit as-needed.

Interesting I figured a tank like this would be great engaging other armoured targets AV 13 or less but it is sort of a niche target. Perhaps not as a wingman for Pask but as a single tank you will find more use out if it. The problem with any wing man to pask is that he needs to be close to pask and while you have have orders to spilt fire it's possible that your optimum target is not necessarily in the best position to be fired on by the exterminator.

So firstly thansk to everyone for contributing to this post.   Ive actually ended up going a full 180 on the whole topic.  

So ...

For leman russ I will take Punishers with Pask,  3 of them!    Reason being theres not reallya  better unit for causing lots of wounds.   Also Pask is a beast vs armour as on average I have read he does 3 glancings on av14.   Makes sense with all the rerolls +rending.  So I have av14 9 hull points dishing out 60 preferred enemy S5 shots per turn!  Thats my anti infanty midfield. 

Pask will only give Crack shot (rending on gatling) to it's own tank, not everyone else in the squadron. So that's only a single rending gatling gun.

Archived