The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

Ok so lets look at this a who and what we got.

Buffs:

1) Army Wide Bonus to Strength and Initiative in Combat
2) Dante is allot more powerful like he always should of been
3) Sanguinary Guard are Cheaper
4) Dreadnought Libarian HQ
5) Points cost lowered in Line with other Codex (Expected)
6) Sanguinary Priests are now HQ (Kinda a Buff and Nerf in one)
7) Heavy Flamers in Tacticals
8) Mephiston has IC
9) Corbulo gets a Huge Buff Giving +1WS amd +1I

Nerfs:

1) Decent of Angels no longer army Wide
2) Lost 3 of our 5 Troop Choices
3) Lost Fast Vindicators
4) Still have not gained allot of the options regular marines have and are now the only codex without a special flyer in the Marines Faction (Even Grey knights get special rules for Storm Ravens), but no ceturions or storm talons for us.
5) Character Nerfs for the most part, Mephiston, Tycho and Sanguinor
6) Death Company And DC Dreads have lower Weaponskill
7) Sanguinary Priests can't be fields 3 to 1 in elites any more and can not take terminator Armour.
8) Land Raiders are no longer Deadicated across the whole army
9) Reclusiarch

To be honest, my Bigest complaints are with Priests no longer in Terminator Armour, Mephiston being nerfed though the floor less than captain level power for his still high points cost for what he brings now and the Sanguinors beduff on his saves as well. :P
Such a shame the Lord of Death which inspired such terror is not the lord of the Bad Hang Over. :(

Truth be told though, i will still Run Mephiston with a Different Lore, likely Bio and put him in a drop pod with a squad.
Angels will still Decend on wings of fire with or without jump packs in my army damn it!

Just had some awful news... Tried to edit my order so that I could pick it up in store saturday instead of waiting until Monday (maybe) to get my SG edition (thus enjoying it all weekend) I found out you cannot. So now I have some data cards going to store on saturday and my dex and tac squad a lot later in the working week :/

It is also too late to guarantee delivery to store by cancelling and reordering!

EDIT: Called again, got a different person who checked if my order had gone for picking and if the store I wanted had had it's delivery yet, both hadn't happened so he sorted everything. The Emperor truly does protect thanks.gif

The terms and Lib are nice, but for 60 and 30 GW can keep em. I haven't bought anything new in a long time, did the terms go up in price? I know the Lib did, the characters were all around $21 US, is this just a brand new shinny preorder cost or a permanent price hike?

$30 For the Libarian? Works out About £20 for us and we pay that now for regular Power Armoured Libarians.

Welcome to 40k my Friend, there is only Inflation. msn-wink.gif

Forgot 10) Death Company no longer reroll to wound unless with Astorath the Grim (Curious to see what has Happened with him myself)

Wondering does the +1 initiative on the charge as a detachment rule mean no Objective Secured?

It certainly will, see below.

I suspect that the special Blood Angels Detachment will look like this:

1. No new Warlord Traits (because I doubt they'll print two Warlord charts in the same book), but...
  2. It will grant Ideal Mission Commander (reroll on the Warlord Traits table). It may also require you to roll on the Blood Angels table (no rolling on the corebook tables).
  3. Organized so as to grant more Elites than the CAD.
  4. +1 I on the charge (as we've seen).

It will not grant Objective Secured.

That's exactly how it's going to work, and it is no different than any of the other Faction-specific Detachments that have been released in 7e (e.g. Wolves Unleashed, Nemesis Strike Force, Champions of Fenris, etc.).  Most of them have a Troops tax, but that's the price you pay to get +1 on the Initiative for every unit that charges into assault for the whole game. 

I'm pretty sure someone got confused with sterguard being able to take 2 heavy flamers. Normal tacticals are just 1 heavy 1 special. If I'm wrong I'll be extremely happy.

That's right, it's 1 Heavy Weapon and 1 Special for Tactical Squads - the Sternguard can take 2 Heavies, I believe.

could you just take the dread?

No, you have to take a whole Formation as a very specific kind of special Detachment; you can't take bits and pieces from a Formation, and some (like the one referenced) require you to take a defined set of gear and weapons.

How do you guys plan on dealing with the overcrowded Elites slot?

Take multiple Detachments.

TBH, with our woeful selection of Troops options I would pretty much always go for that formation.

Answers the problems with the ridiculously over stacked Elites section too.

It's not a Formation, it's a Detachment.

This +1 Initiative everyone keeps talking about, is that something related specifically to the Detachment, or something else? I don't know how Detachments work, so....yeah..... laugh.png

In addition, is the Detachment something you only get from buying the new box set, or is it in the dex itself?

No, you have to take a whole Formation as a very specific kind of special Detachment; you can't take bits and pieces from a Formation, and some (like the one referenced) require you to take a defined set of gear and weapons.

Pretty sure that's not true; the datasheets in Deathstrom are just that: Datasheets just like the ones that are in a codex. 

This +1 Initiative everyone keeps talking about, is that something related specifically to the Detachment, or something else? I don't know how Detachments work, so....yeah..... laugh.png

Yes. +1 I on the charge is a benefit of the new Detachment.

Detachments are optional FOCs that you can apply to your army. The "classic" FOC has its new incarnation as the Combined Arms Detachment. Another kind of Detachment is the Allied Detachment. So far, 'Nids and Dark Eldar have proprietary Detachments. In a sense, a Formation is a mini-Detachment. Your army can consist of any number of Detachments that you can afford, each with its own benefit, as well as any number of Formations. The only thing you can't do is add random units - if anything on the table is not part of a Detachment or a Formation, your list is now Unbound.

I was curious: that relic jump pack mentioned a few pages down in this thread....what does it do exactly? Re-roll what when DS? My English isn't too bad but that sentence was kinda not making any sense to me. Can anyone explain?happy.png

Thanks in advance.

Snorri

I think it is reroll the deepstrike scatter and prevents or limits interceptor fire.

$30 For the Libarian? Works out About £20 for us and we pay that now for regular Power Armoured Libarians.

Welcome to 40k my Friend, there is only Inflation. ;)

Forgot 10) Death Company no longer reroll to wound unless with Astorath the Grim (Curious to see what has Happened with him myself)

Yeah I'm familiar with GW random price raises over three decades now. "I remember when you could get two rhinos in one box for $12US and you had to walk up hill in the snow both ways to play 40K and Hours was just a bunch of cells in a test tube."

Can't say i'll miss assault marines as troops that much now considering we can run 3-4 units of Jump DC, if it's 23 points per model that's a pretty huge DC buff even if they have WS4 if you factor in detachment bonus. This will truly seperate us from C:SM.  We can actually play strong jump lists now and people that want to run Razorback msu still have that option with tacticals.

Detachments are optional FOCs that you can apply to your army. The "classic" FOC has its new incarnation as the Combined Arms Detachment. Another kind of Detachment is the Allied Detachment. So far, 'Nids and Dark Eldar have proprietary Detachments. In a sense, a Formation is a mini-Detachment. Your army can consist of any number of Detachments that you can afford, each with its own benefit, as well as any number of Formations. The only thing you can't do is add random units - if anything on the table is not part of a Detachment or a Formation, your list is now Unbound.

Ok, so if I'm reading this and Valerian's link right, then the new detachment is a Faction Specific Detachment, added on to the usual FOC of days gone by, which itself is now called a Combined Arms Detachment. I guess that's simple enough...after reading it 7 or 8 times.

But again, are the rules for this detachment available in C:BA, or are the rules only in the Deathstorm box set?

Ok, so if I'm reading this and Valerian's link right, then the new detachment is a Faction Specific Detachment, added on to the usual FOC of days gone by, which itself is now called a Combined Arms Detachment. I guess that's simple enough...after reading it 7 or 8 times.

But again, are the rules for this detachment available in C:BA, or are the rules only in the Deathstorm box set?

Yes. The rules for this Detachment will be in C:BA. What Deathstorm has got is a Formation.

Yes. The rules for this Detachment will be in C:BA. What Deathstorm has got is a Formation.

Ahhhh! It's all so clear now. laugh.png

What does the Detachment consist of?

I want to say 5 sherman tanks each time i look at your avatar.

Here it is:

Baal Strike Force Detachment:
• Mandatory 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 2 Troops 
• Optional: as usual, but 3 additional Elite slots (Total 4) 
• Special Rule: +1 Initiative when charging, all the army, any turn.

It's still not going in sad.png I'll have to re-read Val's post again. I'm getting too old for this Riggs! laugh.png

Ignore me - I think I finally understand! laugh.png

Yeah the Deathstorm formation is the super specific one described in the campaign supplement (Terminator captain, termies, 5 dc, dc dread), all with exactly the described wargear (heavy flamer on the termies, etc.). That *formation* gets whatever benefits (fearless, some units get counter attack, one-round of reroll to wound).

Since it's a formation you could see it along a CAD of ultramarines or imperial guard, or you could bring it with you with another BA detachment.

My deathstorm box just arrived in the mail. I'm super excited to see the new codex (going to grab it digitally when it drops). The rumors have been nice to see, but nothing compared to the real thing!

The rules for the new detachment will be in the dex(if the rumors are true) In deathstorm there's only a formation. Then apparently in exterminatus there'll be more detachments.

Edit: while i was writing this i was ninjad like 5 times :) stupid tablet and its "smart" text correction...

I want to say 5 sherman tanks each time i look at your avatar.

Here it is:

Baal Strike Force Detachment:

• Mandatory 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 2 Troops 

• Optional: as usual, but 3 additional Elite slots (Total 4) 

• Special Rule: +1 Initiative when charging, all the army, any turn.

Huh..so no specifically required units, like Dante or Mephiston?  Does that list mean it cannot take Heavy Support?  And it can or cannot be the primary detachment?

Archived