• 5 weeks later...

I just posted up a battle report with some pics at my blog:

https://prot40k.wpcomstaging.com/2020/11/12/ultramarines-vs-new-necrons-9th-edition-battle-report/

The game was a week ago, and I forced myself to use 2 Executioners, which I think are horribly over priced, but the game had a ridiculous twist.

1-Setup-2.jpg

Edited by Prot

It’s nice to see Repulsors on the table, but like you said, it’s almost handicapping yourself.

Enjoyed the report though and well done on the victory. Even if it’s down to luck, sometimes it happens. Take the W!

Edited by NKirkham24

It’s nice to see Repulsors on the table, but like you said, it’s almost handicapping yourself.

Enjoyed the report though and well done on the victor. Even if it’s down to luck, sometimes it happens. Take the W!

It was an intentional handicap. I recall after turn 1 I truly thought... I'm done. I've lost half my firepower in one volley, and I'm boxed in a corner with only about 20 bodies on the table! 

In the interest of full disclosure, I admit I not only wanted to try 2 Executioners, but I wanted my opponent to win. (He's struggled mightily against my Ultra's lately). 

He really wanted a rematch because of his list changes, and insisted that I NOT handicap myself. So I took what I consider a mid/upper tier list. I hope to batrep that game soon as we played the game last night.

You made the best of it for sure. Can’t really complain about Guilliman if you’d run two Executioners. :biggrin.:

Ah, if only the old days were back when Guilliman AND 2 Executioners were gold. 

I will say although I suspected the Executioners wouldn't last, I was shocked how easily he stripped down the wounds. 

Good batrep Prot. 

One thing about your opponent 'handing you' a win: when it started going the way of the Necrons, I would hazard a guess that they actually did get overconfident, and/or their attacks that failed (eg, the failed Wraith charge including reroll) were essentially overeagerness, rather than pity, or trying to give you the opportunity to dig yourself out.

It can be quite easy to misidentify that holding back and just winning through objectives is the way to go, especially when you have a decisive advantage; you want to push that advantage, even though it carries the risk of failing and backfiring.

I'd give your opponent the benefit of the doubt, but also advise them to work on holding their bloodlust in check :sweat:

Good batrep Prot. 

One thing about your opponent 'handing you' a win: when it started going the way of the Necrons, I would hazard a guess that they actually did get overconfident, and/or their attacks that failed (eg, the failed Wraith charge including reroll) were essentially overeagerness, rather than pity, or trying to give you the opportunity to dig yourself out.

It can be quite easy to misidentify that holding back and just winning through objectives is the way to go, especially when you have a decisive advantage; you want to push that advantage, even though it carries the risk of failing and backfiring.

I'd give your opponent the benefit of the doubt, but also advise them to work on holding their bloodlust in check :sweat:

That's exactly what happened. I wanted him to win this one for sure. 

When we discussed the game afterward and we revisited the critical turn he tried to grab my side of the table, he acknowledged he had me beat. You're right... as a Necron player perhaps it's hard to keep the bloodlust in check! ;)

He's a good guy though, a good player and I think he finally saw a decisive victory, and pushed too hard. 

Hobby Update time:

I used our severe lockdown situation to finish some units I really don't think I'll use aside from my initial testing, but they were really fun to paint (especially the Techmarine).

gallery_2760_15033_241802.jpg

Hammerfall and Firestrikes:

gallery_2760_15033_460400.jpg

More pics on the blog if anyone's interested:

https://prot40k.wpcomstaging.com/2020/11/13/prots-hobby-update-hammerfall-bunker-firestrike-turrets-and-primaris-techmarine/

• 3 weeks later...

Love your rendition of the primarch! How'd you achieve the desaturated gold and the flaming sword?

Also... third?

Yea third! A friend of mine across the pond said, "Just imagine how nice your fourth one is going to look!". 

... not funny. ;)

The gold is a combination of Vallejo glorious gold, and I continually mix in Army Painter's shining silver on a wet pallet to bring out the edging. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Prot

your painting style is really awesome.

I am still catching up with a lot of threads, and thought id give your batrep a look, thinking it was going to link to a 2 hour video.. got to say i was pleasantly surprised, it was short enough to keep me interested but detailed enough to tell the story. I really enjoyed it and will be keeping my eyes peeled for more.