Battle for the Abyss audiobook...

chainsword and book gun in universe- both devastating. chainsword and book gun outside universe- both silly.

Yeah, I mean you can say that about tons of stuff in the Warhammer universe really. The key is that it's put together in such a way and there's so much of it that it loops around from silly back to serious in the context of the Warhammer universe.

• 4 weeks later...

Scale is not the issue here.  I have no problem with a weapon of the size and scale described in the book.  My problem is with the ludicrous image of a book opening to reveal a giant gun - an image that hitherto has been the province of children's cartoons.  It's a ham-fisted attempt at visualizing the theme of violence backing up ideology.  It's a concept that would have worked far better as a statement (something along the lines of "Our faith is backed by our weapons") than as a literal object.  This is something a Word Bearer would make if his intent was to satisfy sophomoric expectations/humor.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as blunt.  This is, frankly, the most inapropos image I've seen in this series thus far.

Maybe I'm a little biased because of my name/profile pic.  But the Stone Rhino battle mech has cowls that cover the huge lazers that form its arms.  This is to protect the weapon's tips from damage.  I took the huge book covering the plasma lance as being the same thing.  A huge chunk of armor in the shape of a book protecting the most vulnerable part of the weapon.  IE the parts not already being protected by the ship's normal armor and hull.

The fact that the armor takes the shape of a book is just 40k as usual, symbolism just for the sake of symbolism.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO Battle for the Abyss is the worst HH book to date. I have read it eagerly when it came out and I have even borrowed the audio version (need my fix when I paint and I have listened to all BL audiobooks so far), but in truth I disliked both. Not only the loyalist are invincible gods of battle, killing Word Bearers by the score with a kitchen knife, but also in general the "scenes" were ill set.

2/10 in my rating scale

Archived