What are some BL moments / books that have moved you?

Kilofix

I realize that with things being Grimdark, most folks have their emotions buried beneath layers of Armorplas. But that notwithstanding, what are some BL moments, segments and / or books that may have moved you, or that may have been sentimental to you.

For me, it's every time a Loyalist unexpectedly discovers that they've been betrayed (of which there have been many occasions). For example, I'm not exaggerating but I tear'ed up (for all the 'wrong' reasons) when I read the section in KNF when Guilleman is told that Ferrus, Corax and Vulkan are dead. Imagining that scene was just,...so ....so delicious, for lack of a better word. It moves me every time I reread it.

Thanks for sharing.

Quite a lot, especially when the loyalists are betrayed. Because Im a person who considers loyalty to be the most important attitude (?) to a human being. The whole feeling of dread and anger, something I took very personal (sounds stupid I know :P), especially in Galaxy in Flames, KNF and Flight of the Eisenstein.

The ... event ... at the end of Guns of Tanith

Also, the end of Sabbat Martyr. I didn't think any death could hurt as much as 

Braggs

but I was wrong. I remember getting up and pacing around my living room in denial. Sniff.

Man, Abnett, you have made many people shed manly tears throughout the course of the Ghosts series. 

The ... event ... at the end of Guns of Tanith

Also, the end of Sabbat Martyr. I didn't think any death could hurt as much as 

Braggs

but I was wrong. I remember getting up and pacing around my living room in denial. Sniff.

Man, Abnett, you have made many people shed manly tears throughout the course of the Ghosts series. 

Sure as sure.

Fulgrim killing Ferrus Manus for me. Not so much the killing part but more that Fulgrim was forced to by The Daemon. Perturabo's final exchange with Fulgrim was also pretty heartbreaking. You really get to see how all of his compatriots treated him like dirt.

Oh there are so many instances that have triggered emotional responses.  Not necessarily that get you choked up, but that stir something deep within on some profound emotional level.  Can't mention them all, but some highlights are:

1)  Eisenhorn's initial run-ins and interactions with Cherubael.  So visceral and baleful, and such a fantastic depiction of the demonic.  Great stuff.

2)  Loken's death.  A superbly rendered character like him meeting his end at such treachery was truly upsetting. 

3)  Draco's end in the Inquisition War series final installment, Chaos Child, was......disappointing.  I was annoyed for several days.

4)  The chastisement of Lorgar in TFH evoked sympathy I honestly didn't think I would have for that character.  Pretty moving.

I can go on.  Good books should elicit emotional responses.  The fact that many of BL's publications do is testament to quality of its authors. 

- End of Void Stalker, Cyrion can go censored.gif himself.

-That scene in The Emperor's Gift where Hyperion is talking to his mentor in the graveyard was pretty touching.

- In a Thousand Sons on Prospero where the Space Marines use that psyker woman to catch a glimpse of the future killing her in the process.

- Perturabo "The only man I'll trust from now on is Horus Lupercal.".... about that.

- Betrayer, The way the universe kept stomping on Angron's face.

For me it is Fifteen Hours, to follow Larn was a great and moving journey for me.

Every scene in Fifteen Hours builds so well. By the time you get to the gut-wrenching conclusion, you can feel every ounce of Larn's life. That's an emotional one for me.

I've mentioned it before, but Betrayer had me in tears when Angron returned to the site of his rebellion. "My brothers! My sisters!"

Dorn's response to Sigismund's confession figuratively destroyed me for hours afterword. Not crying, just sitting around shocked. And kinda horrified with the resonance I felt between myself and futuristic knight Templar. 

On a much happier note, Talon of Horus had me roaring with joy at the close when

Sigismund makes his presence known and just... OWNS that scene. I don't care if that fight ends poorly for him. I have everything I want in that epilogue.

Reading the new Sabbat anthology, and I get to one of Abnett's introductions to one of his own shorts, where he says:

Gol, I am so, so sorry.

You son of a censored.gif , don't you do this to me!

So many things about The Warmaster are going to be an evil, heart-wrenching train wreck. There are already threads like

the Blenner foreshadowing, could be pretty sketch, and then he had to add bad shadows. It's gon' hurt :cry:

Also, recently, that little bit in Prince of Crows where Sevatar tells Curze

"you didn't try any other way" and Konrad just has nothing to say to that. Ouch

I loved that second bit. It drove it home that nobody forced him to become the Night Haunter. Nobody made him that way. He chose it. He might not have been surrounded by a nice assortment of positive examples, but it was his own choice to be what he became.

Probably the biggest ones for me came in the Eisenhorn trilogy. The Thracian Atrocity was utterly horrifying. And the whole of Hereticus is a constant blow to the gut, in the best way:

the utter hopelessness of the fight against the titan and it's outcome, the torn emotions others feel as they feel loyalty to Eisenhorn warring with the knowledge of how far he's going, the end of so many of his comrades. I'm pretty sure I was tearing up at that final "Most perturbatory..."

There have also been several among the HH series:

Know No Fear: the whole betrayal is, like the aforementioned Thracian Atrocity, gut-wrenching, seeing the Ultramarines so turned upon.

The Crimson Fist: Sigismund's confession. You can feel the pain on both sides of the father-son discourse.

Betrayer:

Argel Tal's murder was so painful I almost cried out, and in turn, Khârn's unrelenting, stone-cold beatdown of Erebus in response was one of the most satisfying moments of the series. It's only a shame he couldn't finish the job.

Tallarn: Executioner

Akil's story towards the end. First we have his pain at knowing his daughters are alive but being held hostage. Then the beautifully done betrayal he feels he has no choice but to enact.

Full on man wept?

Necropolis - Dan Abnett

- During the fight for the Eastern Habs in Vervunhive, Bulwar and his NorthCol troops are saved by a 700 man scratch company militia of smeltery workers, led by a one eyed foreman named Soric. Filthy, unfed, bloodied, and ill-equiped, Bulwar notices rank pins and badges made of bent and inscribed bottle caps on Soric's jacket, as well as some of the other scratch company. They had been fighting against the Zoican armour by running ore-exlosives at them and self detonating them. Their resilience and determination shames Bulwar and his men, and he tells Soric to leave his rank pins on.

Blood Reaver - Aaron Dembski-Bowden

- ‘What did you want to do with your life?’ she asked. ‘I told you the truth: I’d always dreamed of guiding such a warship, and for better or worse, fate gave me what I wished for. But what about you? Do you mind if I ask?’ Talos laughed again, that same whispering chuckle, and tapped the defiled aquila emblazoned across his chest. ‘I wanted to be a hero.’ A moment later, he masked his scarred face behind his skulled helm. Red eye lenses stared at her, devoid of all emotion. ‘And look how that worked out.”

Void Stalker - Aaron Dembski-Bowden

- Xarl's duel with Tolemion.

The Outacst Dead - Graham MacNeill

- Atharva's sacrifice against the pariah.

- Tagore's single combat, bare handed defeat of a Custodes.

Savage Weapons - Aaron Dembski-Bowden

- The Lord of the First Legion sat as he so often sat these nights, leaning back in an ornate throne of ivory and obsidian. His elbows rested upon the throne’s sculpted arms, while his fingers were steepled before his face, just barely touching his lips. Unblinking eyes the brutal green of Caliban’s forests stared dead ahead, watching the winking dance of distant stars. Every so often there’d be the slightest betrayal of movement: the rise and fall of his armoured shoulders, or a moment taken to blink and shake his crowned head in silent dismissal.

The warlord’s armour was the same rich, unspoiled black as the void into which he stared. Sculpted across his breastplate and greaves, rearing lions formed from red gold – that rarest of metals dredged from the dusty crust of Mars – bared their teeth at a diligent and devoted bridge crew. He wore no helm while he sat in repose, yet the mane of ashen blond locks was bound back in a tight horsetail to keep his face free of distraction, and a simple circlet of blackened iron adorned his tanned brow. This last trinket sported no ostentation, being nothing more than an echo of tradition from the disbanded knightly orders of the Lion’s adopted homeworld. By such simple crowns were the knight-lords of Caliban once known.

horus rising- loken recalling horus in the streetlight fighting in the name of his father.

flight of the eisenstein- dorn's heart breaking at news of horus' betrayal

the first heretic- cyrene holding argel tal as he becomes a monster

betrayer- the ultramine captain defiant to the last and before angron gets hold of him.

that short by abnett about the inquisitor with Alzheimer's- pretty much the whole bloody thing.

Archived