Knight of the Raven's Thirteenth Company

I Think its from the new tactical squad.

It is indeed.

Nice work, KotR, though I agree with Fenris Kid that you may want to add some more Space Wolves items into the mix.

I have a rather big pile of unused SW bits and pieces that I'd happily donate to the project, if you're interested. Just shoot a PM my way to iron out the details.

A third recommendation for more wolfy bits. I do like the middle guy in the bottom picture, very characterful pose.

Also, with the left-hand guy in the bottom picture, I think you need to either swap out his chaos star pad or scrape the star off. While the excessive arrows an stuff are a legacy of using captured warplate, aren't the use of actual chaos stars a big No-No?

A guy at my local store hacked away the chaos symbols to make it look like it was clawed off by Wolfen hands/claws. Use clippers to remove the majority and a sharp scalpel to make deep fissures to represent the scraping. And keep it non - linear.

I like my Space Wolves non-wolfy, which is why I didn't wait to buy this antediluvian sprue to assemble these models. Matt Hutson's own Space Wolves weren't very wolfy either, since the outrageously lupine box didn't exist back then.

I debated whether to remove the chaos stars or not, since one of the models had a torso with one and removing it would have savaged the bit. In the end I decided to follow your advice and hack the stars away, though I did keep the torso one since I'd have to remove the arms and they were hard enough to glue properly in the first place.

Thanks for the comments.

Contrary to the calls for more wolfy bits, I think they look great as-is, and I'm a big fan of the original WD articles you're talking about. I seriously regret not getting those Wulfen and Rune Priest models when they first came out. I also like Wolves when the wolfymcwolfwolfofwolfinessfromWolfland theme is toned down (I actually think it makes them look more menacing).

All that having been said, they should be instantly identifiable as 13th Great Company once you've painted them. Speaking of, are you going with the dark, gritty grey Matt Hudson's force had, or going with the baby blue GW seems to favour these days? I've probably telegraphed which of the two I'm biased towards ;)

Very nice start to a new army! It looks like you've got a kill team going but how big will this force be in the end?

I also think they look good as is and that wolf bits aren't 100% necessary. Plus, they will look more the part with paint on them.

I agree. The lupine sprue is great but not a nessesarity. The paintjob will define them as 13th, especially if you paint them dark grey instead of baby blue. If you feel confident about it codex grey (or any grey for that matter) works extremely well with drybrushing. Just base black and work your way up. Deneb stone for bone detail, a wash of Griphonne Sepia and and Badab Black and BLAMMO your minis rock!

These models were assembled with leftovers from the old and new tactical boxes, the chaos space marine box and bits of dubious origin, so for now these will be the only models in this warband. If I make another squad though, they'll have flamers instead of meltaguns.

They will be painted in pre-heresy colors, as befits the Thirteenth Company. It probably won't go past basecoats and washes though; Dawnstone and Nuln Oil for example. I won't do decals either.

Thanks for the comments.

• 3 weeks later...

They look really good and not too overtly chaotic.

Will you be using other colours besides the grey on the armour, from where they scavenged bits but didn't have the paint to recolour them?

The only suggestion I would make, would be to possibly drop the chaos backpacks. They take away from the silhouette of an Imperial Space Marine in my eyes and make it harder to distinguish between a Loyalist and a renegade.

Also maybe th cloth under the ammo packs could get a bit of gs on them to make fur?

I used to have 13th Company when codex: eye of terror was around.... I wish they'd resurrect the 13th Company again.. I have made them into standard Space Wolves now.

I still have that codex at home somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good, and no worries about the packs and colours :)

My big mistake was trying to put too much colour on my 13th company, Iron warrior pad t-son grieve, some looked like they were imitating eldar Harlequins biggrin.png

You seem to have struck a nice balance with your colour pallette

Thinking about it, what are the chances that there's no grey paint in the eye of terror? I mean they have the skills or abilities to make thousands of years old armour peaces fit their own, but they can't produce a little paint?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived