Ratboy's Truescale WIP

Ratboy1664

Hello all.

Last year I set out to recreate the scene at Gaius Point during the 3rd war for Armageddon where the Flesh Tearers went beserk, massacred the orks and then carried on and massacred the militia force. I got quite far but ran in to a problem, the humans were the same size as the Astartes and it all looked wrong. I scoured the internet for suitable figures but failed.

I recently came across Doghouse and Apologists true scale Calth blog which got me thinking why not have ago yourself. So I did, and this wip is to help me iron out some of the mistakes rookie truescalers make.

Oh and before I start, all my images are hosted here on the B&C but I would like to make the pictures bigger in this blog, how do I do this?

Anyway onto the pics. This is the base I am using. It is from Forgeworld and I am happy with 95% of the painting on it. Gaius Point is described as being in the Sulphur wastes of Armageddon so I am trying to create the effect of yellow sulphur powder coating everything.

SAM 1471 (1024x426)

This time I have decided to add some artillery to absorb some of the big space that made my last attempt seem a bit sparce. Again this gun is from Forgeworld and so far has been assembled and primed without any conversions.

SAM 1472 (1024x768)

SAM 1473 (1024x598)

And here is my first attempt at a Truescale Flesh Tearer. The legs are from the Forgeworld red butcher World Eater kit as are the arms, the backpack is from a Forgeworld Sons of Horus kit and the Flesh Tearers details are from the etched brass kit.

SAM 1474 (1024x841)

SAM 1475 (977x1024)

SAM 1476 (1024x977)

SAM 1477 (1024x819)

SAM 1478 (1024x772)

Please share your thoughts and advice with me on this, hope you enjoy. Much love x

the terrain looks awesome, although i can't safely comment on the paint job 'cuz i'm yellow green color blind wacko.png (in addition to blue purple and green brown...)

as far as the flesh tearer, he's an excellent kitbash model, great posing, and an overall really cool concept! agreed on the request for comparison, otherwise he'll just look like a regular sized marine. happy.png

can't help ya with the pic size issue, i only upload straight from my iphone camera by email. i'm sure a mod can help though.msn-wink.gif

• 1 month later...

Long time no post! I have to admit I have been distracted by my Blood Bowl mini's but they are now done and the plog crawls on. So what have I done? Well I have given the base another couple of drybrushings with Hexos Paleson to really try and create the look of yellow sulphur dust covering the reddy/brown earth of Armageddon.

SAM 1501 (1024x615)

SAM 1502 (1024x415)

And some close ups. I have yet to work out how to weather the sandbags and how high the weathering should go but I think I am heading in the right direction.

SAM 1503 (1024x768)

SAM 1504 (1024x768)

My Flesh Tearer is now also about 80% complete

SAM 1505 (967x1024)

SAM 1506 (1024x1011)

And I have made and primed the next one

SAM 1507 (982x1024)

SAM 1508 (1024x949)

Thank you for looking, c+c most welcome. Much love x

Loving that first Flesh Tearer and the second one looks promising. :tu:

Okay, now here's a test of posting up a larger picture. This is a method I have not tried before but, logically, it should work. First go to your gallery and open up the image you want. Next, go to your options button and 'View all sizes'. Choose the size you want, click the picture itself and you should have a page with just the picture and a white background. Copy the address, use the 'Image' button in the posting window and paste that address into the URL box.

If I've done this right, a 'Large' version of the picture labelled as 'SAM 1506' should appear below...

gallery_23169_8081_317481.jpg

And success! Hope that helps, Ratboy. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a go at creating some spent artillery cases, let me know what you think. Much love x

Step 1. You need a plastic paint brush bristle protector and some thin card, like the stuff you use as dividers in folders.

SAM 1570 (1024x768)

Step 2. Cut the tube into small pieces and pva glue them at one end onto the card.

SAM 1571 (1024x768)

Step 3. Paint 'em! I have glued them in place and applied an incomplete base coat so you can see what I am doing

gallery_23169_8081_561290.jpg

This diorama has a lot going on for it brother. The converted space marines are making excellent work of the butcher forgeworld parts. Are you using gw paints for the flesh tearers or is it another company? Care to link the recipes regardless? (Always on the hunt for color recipes)

It's all GW paints. I am following the painting guide in the Sons of Sanguinius Blood Angels Painting Guide so I am unsure as to whether I can post the details for fear of breaching GW ip, can a Mod clear this up for me?

Archived