Dragging the guard back out - Ogryn chop shop pg 13

SW1

I like it (I also run my armour in an urban camo too). The addition of the black banding really adds to the camo. I think just two colours esp those greys could be rather dull. The black helps bring it out. Great work

Looks good to me, the only thing I'd add is maybe think about another stripe or two? Just a couple on a large model is a bit sparse so it might look better with more.

Another stripe inside the existing ones in a different colour? Or extra stripes?

Don't think I can fit extra stripes on her due to how I've placed the first ones.

Hmmm ... There's 3 on the other side. The one towards the back goes off the back of the tank rather than coming over to this side.

There's only one way to resolve this ... Paint a chunk of the table and then try different ideas on it. ;)

Only managed 10 to 15 mins before the backs hurting too much to carry on. Really getting a bit frustrated with not getting much done. Normally I'd get a good 5 or 6 hours in after getting the kids to sleep.

Been doing the odd few mins here and there inking in the panels and rivets. Found if I'm standing up I can do longer than sat down. Might actually have it ready for dry brushing soonish.

Sifting through the metal bits and several AWOL commissars have turned up. So there's now 9 including Yarrick.

Seems there were crumpets as well as tea and biscuits on offer at some meeting the "overran". Can't say I believe them but a few have power fists to back up the claims.

Black shade applied to the rivets and joints in the armour. Drybrush will happen later. The lighter grey will go up to a very light white drybrush and the other one will go up to a mid grey. The black separation lines will then be gone back over with black. So it will end up being 3 toned. Black/mid grey/light grey. Think with the addition of metal parts and some funky red lenses I think this may turn out fairly well. biggrin.png

Once I'm in shape I think I'll be able to take the lessons learned and pump tanks out really quickly.

First lesson is not to bother with the metallics until the armour is finished!!!

Process is down to -
- Spray Black Primer
- Spray German Grey
- Block in stripes with Mechanicus Standard Grey (covering about 1/3 of model)
- Define the colours with black line between the 2 Greys
- Shade the rivets and armour joints with Nuln Oil
- Drybrush lighter areas with Dawnstone
- Drybrush lighter areas very lightly with Praxeti White
- Drybrush darker areas with Skavenblight Dinge
- Re-paint the black line thickening to around 8mm
- Block in the none grey areas with black

Not got 100% of it yet but this time I'm keeping a record so I'm not in a flap trying work out what I previously did.

Edit: To add colours

Tried out a quick and dirty camo on a broken model that's never going to see the battlefield ...

gallery_25187_10769_370234.jpg

gallery_25187_10769_116341.jpg

Went a bit heavy on the wash but was making it up as I was going along. With a bit of a tweak I could pump out loads of models in a very short time.

My brother has 32 of the cultists from the DV box game he want's painting up. Not sure if I could squeeze them into the next vow as counts as conscripts? The weapons will be wrong but for 3 points a model I'd be taking a big hit on the value of them in comparison to the points value of the actual models.

Looks good! Maybe a little less on the wash for the production version so the camouflage bits stand out a bit more but otherwise nice :) The DV models could work as conscripts as long as you removed the more heretical bits. With a bit more work you could fit them in even more, for example replacing weapons with more standardised ones where possible.

Looks good! Maybe a little less on the wash for the production version so the camouflage bits stand out a bit more but otherwise nice smile.png The DV models could work as conscripts as long as you removed the more heretical bits. With a bit more work you could fit them in even more, for example replacing weapons with more standardised ones where possible.

They will be for my brother rather than my guard so would need to stay as they are armed.

Yesterday I managed to get a little bit of painting done. The lads joined me and acquired a few models from my collection to have a go. The box to get raided this time was my 4th company of smurfs. They're just collecting dust in a big jumbled pile in a box all base coated blue.

The four year old (almost five) managed to paint a bolter gold and the pads yellow (not going in the rims) before having enough and deciding to make me pretend pancakes an coffee (good lad :D). He listened to me about brush control and tickling the model with the end of the brush rather than scrubbing it and knackering up the brush. He even managed to keep the paint only on the end half of the brush hairs. I've got a feeling if he can keep an interest in model painting by the time he's as big as his big brother I'll be happy for him to use decent brushes.

The eldest (almost eight years old) made 2 marines rather gaudy. However he kept generally in the areas he was trying to paint. Though the brush he used took a battering.

Right ... Not much more progress at the moment with the Iron Lady of late. I still need to spray the main gun and sponson turret but not been able to lift stuff out of the way to get to the compressor.

Instead I've re-organising the hobby space so everything has it's place and I don't have to spend half a day looking for stuff only to find it 2 foot away from me all along. I've also started going through old paints and thinning them so they are still usable when I next come around to needing them.

Think I went a little overboard with the purchasing pots of Mechanicus Standard Grey. It seems like I've got the best part of a score of pots some not even opened!!! I blame it on lack of sleep when I was trying to paint my SW's as this happened just after the youngest arrived.

I'll thin what's open and then combine pots so they take up less space. As a bonus I'll have extra empty pots to mount all these guard on for painting up.

I've also sorted out all the stripped models and pulled out all the Orlock/Esher/Goliath Necromunda models to combine in with my Catachan models. Added to the Ogryns (which probably number enough to make an Apoc Formation by themselves), Ratlings, Priests, Commissars and Psykers ... number more than I'm going to paint this year never mind this ETL.

Just need to face the daft task of snipping off the tabs on all these metal models and the drilling pinning holes into every model so I can fix them to the bases. I think this one task will actually be the main limiter to the number of models I can complete this ETL. I need to find a chuck that will fit on my rotary tool small enough to take 0.8mm drill bits as I can't face doing all of them with a manual pin drill.

For me it's Leadbelcher (finally ran out of Boltgun) and Castellan Green. I use a fair amount of green so that's not a bad idea but I've three pots of Leadbelcher and I'm not sure how that happened :lol: An organised hobby desk is a productive one so good that you're using your time well. Just concentrate on finishing your vow and then you can see how you feel - plenty of time too :)

Looks like I'll be taking a little break from painting for a few days while more sorting of the room my hobby space is in happens. There's a good risk hobby items will go AWOL (in the bin) if they're not out of site as the wife's set a deadline for getting the room sorted. It's also currently the kids play room/ my hobby room so they have to shift their stuff aswell.

As the baby's getting bigger and needing a room of her own me and the wife are moving into the hobby room (not sure how I've manager to keep it for as long as I have being the largest bedroom in the house). Thankfully a corner will remain my hobby space, just a little more compact than before. :D

Archived