Dragging the guard back out - Ogryn chop shop pg 13

SW1

Right ... Here's what I ended up messing around with last night ...

gallery_25187_10769_7387.jpg

The lack of neck bothered me so I whipped the heads back off and added wire armature necks and filled in with GS. Gor a bit on the chest and decided to make that textured ...

gallery_25187_10769_103617.jpg

Then had a go at a wing ...

gallery_25187_10769_53184.jpg

Now I'm at ...

gallery_25187_10769_1313.jpg

gallery_25187_10769_7296.jpg

gallery_25187_10769_67761.jpg

Cheers ... Just wish I could stick to one project rather than flitting between things. Atleast the Aquila will bump a models up by 60 points and should take next to no time to paint up!!!

Out of the 6 possible Heirlooms of Conquest I'm currently working on ...

- Kurov's Aquila (see above)

- The Blade of Conquest (Commissar Lords sword held on his shoulder will be painted to represent this)

- The Tactical Auto-Reliquary of Tyberius (servo skull shown on previous page)

Think I might try doing the other 3 in the ETL this year as a little personal challenge. Not 100% sure how quite yet.

The Emperor's Benidiction ... Guess this can just be a well painted bolt pistol or maybe swap out a standard one for something like one of the Space Wolf bolt pistols?

Laurels of Command ... I've found a laurel garland in the bits box probably from the Empire WHFB range but it doesn't really fit on any models head. There's also the skull that's got laurels around it from one of the space marines kits I recently spotted in one of my bits boxes. It would be good to do something that's removable so I can fit it to different models which the Aquila and Tac Reli will be. But that may just be pushing it a bit too far?

The Deathmask of Ollanius ... My GS skills are improving but they ain't up to sculpting faces quite yet. This one I have no idea about yet. Hopefully inspiration will arrive at some point soon.

In other random thoughts for the day ... This army was meant to be mainly made up of Catachan models. Lol ... Wonder if I'll actually get around to them any time soon?

I'll let you know when I work it out. I'm likely to just make a slightly longer cable coming out of the bottom and hide a metal wire inside it. Then use that to support it on a separate base or drill a small diameter hole in the model and make a cable again with the metal wire inside it but leave the end bare metal to allow me to put it on/off the model using the end of the wire inserted into the hole.

No real modelling action happening here yesterday/today. Still sorting through my model collection. It's amazing how many partly done projects I have knocking around ...

- Guard/Rogue Trader Force

- 5th Company Ultramarines

- Great Company of Space Wolves

- Mixed Crusade Army (lots of random squads from different Marin chapters)

- 30k Iron Hands

- 30k Raven Guard

- Eldar Sword Wind Force

- Inquisitor Retinue

- Several different sets of scenery

Not to mention Bloodbowl, Epic, WHFB and BFG.

Seems before wife, mortgage and kids came along I amassed a whee small collection.

Hoping in the next few days I can get back to some painting!!!

All i see lacking is a modular gaming table!

Lol ... There's 8 mdf boards 2'x2' (will make a 4'x8' board) which I've only worked on the first board currently. I've not got room for it but my brother has so he'll be getting the benefit of it when it's finished.

Funny enough I'm currently at his place looking at where we can put it as it's got to go ASAP before the wife chucks it!!!

Hmmm ... My wife has uncovered my stash of unbuilt models. :/

I'd forgotten the basilisk, leman russ, plus stuff for other armies. She's holding them to ransome until I finish off the sorting. So it's 9am on a Saturday and I'm sorting stuff out.

it's funny how a spouse can take on the role of a mother finding your hiden away stash of candy! looks like you'll need to make some breakfast in bed to even those odds of getting those models back! msn-wink.gif if sorting is an issue it might be worth looking into getting a cheap cupboard from ikea or the likes with and internally made mdf sectioning in the drawers themselves. A) it hides a lot of the mess we children fully grown men are bound to leave behind cool.png it offers some protection for your models against unwanted attention by: cats, dogs, children,...) C) it makes for a clean look

edit: D) usually the spouse likes those sorts of trips i've been told...

Getting closer to finishing the sorting out of the hobby room.

So much stuff has gone, most of it scenery building bits, the wife's art stuff, sowing stuff and kids toys that were broken/incomplete (though interesting shaped bits may have ended up in a hobby box).

The WHFB stuff has been boxed up for a future date which has saved a LOT of space. Marines/wolves have been chucked into several big boxes to sort through and the Eldar have also been put to one side. So I should in theory just have guard out plus scenery building stuff.

Really wanting to get on with painting but there's a bit more sorting to do. :(

Well no hobby time for almost a week. :(

Really need to get back in the flow and finish off the current vow. Don't think I'm going to risk another vow this year as my free time is really fluctuating at the moment.

Good to see the progress people are making!!!

I'll aim to get an update with pics and some progress ASAP.

I've been a little side tracked with getting some work done on some scenery I've had on the back burner for months for my brother. There's a WIP blog which can be found here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/289269-sw1s-scenery-project-1st-tile-page-9/page-10?do=findComment&comment=4114807

I'm almost up to the point where I need to get some bits cast up so there will be a window of a week or so while the moulds cure for me to complete my current ETL vow.

Last night I managed to get most of the colours blocked in on the last 2 Bullgryns just need to block in the black and metals before it gets it's first wash. I also got another two layers on the red for the commissars (why does red need so many layers just to get a flat colour?).

So forward momentum is building up again with this vow. If I can get a couple of hours set aside over a few days they should be finished.

Time do a bit of an update. Need to stop painting as I've got to go to work tomorrow.

- Nork Deddog
He's been finished for ages waiting for the rest to be done.

- 3 Bullgryns all with power mauls and brute shields. They're all based and the unit is just waiting for me to finish painting the last 2 shields and they're done.

- Lord Commissar with the blade of conquest. Power fist, carapace armour
Only got the flesh, weapons and his sash to do. Then it's basing time and he'll be finished.

- Yarrick
Should have been further along than having all colours blocked in and washed. But I noticed a massive mould line on his cap just before washing him and The Lord Comm together. The mould line has been removed and when I next get to painting I should hopefully have him finished.

gallery_25187_10769_157645.jpg

Not had the time to really get my teeth into painting this year. Though it's got my creative juices going so I'll be carrying on post ETL. Doubt I'll try squeezing another vow in.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the feedback.

Doh ... Just noticed I missed a purity seal on Yarrick, think that will help break up the metal part.

I struggled to get the metals right on him. The human metals have been washed with a blue (in the pics it's coming through much more blue than in real life) and the Ork power claw was made as dirty as possible to try and show the difference. Not sure what else to do with them? I didn't want to bring brass or gold into the look of the army. There is a laurel of leaves on the stormbolter which also help break up the look from the other side.

The pic hasn't picked up the dark purple on the blade of The Lord Comm either which is a pain.

I've always struggled with the whites so the sashes were partly done to push myself. They've been painted 3 times so I've had to decide to stop rather than needing to strip and start again. The other thing I found a challenge was the yellow which I think has come out ok. I normally don't get as rich a yellow as I've managed on these two.

So any tips on doing a little extra on Yarrick?

Great stuff, the reds and golds are excellent, and the Bullgryns also have very nice colours. They will look brilliant on the table top ;) As for Yarrick, perhaps picking out some of the details like the emblem on his chest out? A gold maybe? A bit of colour on his claw would help too, perhaps coloured cables too if you feel like it.

For Yarrick I would give a good wash with Guillman Blue, then pick up the higher layers in a lighter metallic on the carapace armour. I agree with WF go to town on winged skull on the chest plate Make it a real eye grabber.Off the top of my head, either a classic bone skull or iron skull (boltgun base, agrax wash then blended highlights), with white wings (blue washes in recesses) or gold wings.

However the results you have achieved already are pretty spot on already in anycase.

Archived