Dragging the guard back out - Ogryn chop shop pg 13

SW1

Looks good, and while I like the reliq conversion, I'm too fond of the old Ogryns to butcher them like that. I dont really like the new ones, too.

If it works for you - great! But just not my cup of tea.

Then again: I might change my miind if they are painted up.

And you gave me some ideas what to do with my old stormtroopers, espescially the one/two HW I have.:)

@ F&S - don't worry about there being no standard metals. I'll be having atleast a full 10 man squad eventually of them. ;)

Had some fun with the airbrush earlier. Seems some silly idiot didn't clean it that well after it was last used. After stripping it down 3 times I've finally got it working. So the final bits of the Iron Lady have been undercoated and basecoated.

While I was at it I also undercoated:

- Yarrick - 145pts

- Lord Commissar with the blade of conquest. Power fist, carapace armour - 120pts

- Nork Deddog - 85pts

- 3 Bullgryns all with power mauls and brute shields - 190pts

I had planned on spraying a lot more but think I need to just get a few smaller vows in rather than start pledging 100's of troops. I've got a feeling I may very well spend the 9 months prepping for the next ETL, maybe getting things like the conscripts out of the way.

Need to let the paint dry overnight but then the painting can finally start again!!!

Right ... Just need the youngest to have a nap and I can get on with a bit of painting. Lol ... We'll have to see if she is willing to comply. ;)

We've already had a good look at the tanks I had left on the kitchen table and seems draw to the plasma toting one the most. She's got red hair and a fire like tantrum so it seems fitting. :lol:

Hmmm ... Someone had a nap while the baby was having a nap. Not really to plan but may have been a blessing in disguse as the wife's feeling under the weather so likely to be having an early night. As long as the kids bedtime doesn't take too long I should have a few hours of uninterrupted painting tonight. ;)

Think things are going to get a little extreme thanks too Centurio and Captain Sox!!!

Hmmm ... Just need to source some bodies now.

:D

Cheers for the feedback. I've never done lenses or gems before (always left them a flat colour with a gloss coat) but seeing all these beautifully detailed models got me out of my comfort zone. :D

Looks like I'll be vowing :

- Yarrick - 145pts

- Lord Commissar with the blade of conquest. Power fist, carapace armour - 120pts

- Nork Deddog - 85pts

And possibly:

- 3 Bullgryns all with power mauls and brute shields - 190pts

They all got undercoated with the airbrush when I undercoated the last bits. However I missed the brute shields so may skip them and leave the Bullgryns for the next vow. Don't want a vow getting stuck while waiting for a little bit to be undercoated again!!!

Won't start painting until tomoz so will vow then. If I get a chance to undercoat the shields before I start I'll include them.

The vow was made and the Bullgryns were included.

I've managed to trade enough bits to get the arms for 15 of each type of the Bullgryns and 30 Ogryns. Just need to sort out the bodies I'm going to use. I've ordered a a razor saw to chop up one of each of the metal legs. I'm going to take off some of the details and extend the legs with spacers in the thigh and calf. The chest looks to be the right size to match the plastics I've already got bit the details don't match up. Think I'm going to clean up the details on them and then once happy with them cast up my own bodies and legs.

I'll have a 10 man squad of the original metals with just a head swap. Then the rest will be a mix of the plastic kits and my own bodies. If my GS skills fail to live up to my ideas I might end up using the Ogre kit instead. ;)

Missing starting pic's:

- Yarrick

gallery_25187_10769_87114.jpg
- Lord Commissar with the blade of conquest. Power fist, carapace armour

gallery_25187_10769_12259.jpg
- Nork Deddog

gallery_25187_10769_44094.jpg
- 3 Bullgryns all with power mauls and brute shields

gallery_25187_10769_350104.jpg

Got the blocking of the main colours on Nork and started on the Bullgryns, I'll get more pics up once all the blocking in is done. ;)

Nork has been finished ...

gallery_25187_10769_61243.jpg

gallery_25187_10769_46861.jpg

gallery_25187_10769_228386.jpg

gallery_25187_10769_122866.jpg

gallery_25187_10769_7617.jpg

Hopefully I can blitz through the rest of them as quickly. Really enjoyed painting up an older model. There's plenty of character in the scuplt which I some how feel is missing from a lot of more recent sculpts GWS has been pumping out.

Wowee! Is there a specific product you use to get the diamondplate effect on the base?

I picked up some textured plasticard sheets from a model railway store. Used it to make masters of bases and then cast them up. I've got a fairly wide range of bases I can now choose from. Just need to make a mould for bike bases (I've already made the masters) and need to scratch build some of the new 32mm ones.

(Copied this from another thread)

I couldn't find exactly what I wanted so went in at the deep end so to speak and did my own.

The biggest variety I did was with 25mm ones (think I've got 11 different options) ...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Casting%20Projects/Finished/280320132583_zpsb14f5ed7.jpg

The dread size one came out pretty the best ...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4f32e2ee.jpg

Need to do the moulds for the bike bases and that set of 40mm bases. However I have already got moulds for other 40mm ones ...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/190420132618_zpseed13e0b.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Casting%20Projects/Bases%20-%20Techno/060620132648_zps6a0e58c7.jpg

Looks like someone is good at the purple lenses, he looks great! This is an excellent work rate you've got going :tu:

Cheers Boss. Wanting to ramp up the speed of painting. If and it's a big IF I can sort out the bodies for the Ogryns/Bullgryns that's a few thousand points I could paint quicker than painting grunts. :D

The Lord Commissar and Yarrick seem to have gone a bit wierd. Not sure if it's going to be a knock back to basecoat and start again. :/

Had a slight panic when the lads raided my hobby space and the arm of The Lord Commissar went missing. 3 hours later it turned up in a pocket. Not quite sure how or why but it's been glued back on and minimal damage to current paint work happened.

Looks like the hobby space is getting reduced once more. Gone from a 20' square room, to half the room, to now just a corner of the room. Not quite sure how it's all going to fit. I think I'm going to have to requisition a bit of shelving space.

The wife's taken a week and a half off work starting tomorrow to get the hobby room converted into a bedroom so no more delay tactics will work. At least my 2 display cases are being kept. Only draw back it they ain't in a space where anyone can look at them. :/

Probably going to have a few days off the painting while organising (attempting to retain/hide away hobby materials) happens.

Wish me luck.

Edit: the wife's just given me an x-acto razor saw set she ordered for me through amazon. Maybe it won't be as bad as I'm worrying about. This also means those legs will get worked on while I'm out of action painting wise. ;)

Sorting out starts in the morning ... Before then I get to chop things up ...

gallery_25187_10769_22127.jpg

It makes about 5.5mm difference which changes shoulder level from under the armpit of a plastic ...

gallery_25187_10769_305455.jpg

Too not too far off ...

gallery_25187_10769_286318.jpg

Started GS'ing the legs. Made a bit of a mess as I didn't just do one bit but tried to do loads at once.

So instead I added more details to the servo skull and created a double headed bird with some Brettonian bits. Then covered it with gs and added some additional textures.

Basically I had gs made up and played with it. Will see if what I did looks ok in the cold light of the morning when I get up.

Archived