2000 points World Eaters Pride of the Legion

Papewaio

Hey all. I've been looking at the Heresy for some time now, to create a 30k version of my 40k World Eaters. Problem is, I'm a student, therefore automatically broke. Luckily the background for my force in 30k is that it was a shipboard company, so Terminators galore :D

But being a shipboard company, the style of the force dictates no tanks. Flyers and Dreads only, in terms of vehicles.

The List:

Legion Praetor            177

-Cataphractii armour

-Paragon blade

-Digital lasers

-Combi-melta (for fluff reasons)

Contemptor Dreadnought         185

-Plasma cannon

-DCCW

Contemptor Dreadnought         190

-Kheres assault cannon

-DCCW

Legion Terminator Squad (7 man)        310

-2 pairs of lightning claws

-1 chainfist

-5 volkite chargers

Legion Terminator Squad (7 man)        281

-2 power fists

-Reaper autocannon

-4 combi-weapons

The Red Butchers (5 man)            295

-1 pair of lightning claws

-3 pairs of power axes

-1 pair of chainfists

Fire Raptor Gunship           240

-2 Reaper batteries

-Armoured ceramite

Caestus Assault Ram          315

-Frag assault launchers

The basic idea is that the Terminators and the Contemptors advance up the board, shooting as they go, til they can hit combat, while the Praetor and the Butchers go in the Caestus and go after the juiciest target on the board. The Fire Raptor is there for AA and general fire support.

Thoughts? Particularly about the Terminator loadouts. I'm unsure on those, and wonder if there's better ways to do it.

The problem with Foot Terminators is that shooting is king - not just in 7th, but in Heresy, where AP2 ranged is available aplenty. Combined with choosing to just walk up the field while firing, that means that the earliest you'll hit combat realistically is Turn 4 - a 6" move each turn gives you 18" by Turn 3. An opponent will have seen that coming, and should have moved out the way - by at least 3 inches or so - requiring you to roll 10 or more on the 2d6 turn 3 - doable enough that you are encouraged to attempt it. When you declare your charge that gives them an Overwatch shooting phase, dropping maybe a couple more, followed by another turn of shooting, followed by another overwatch when you assault turn 4. 

Without some form of Transport to get you there, not being in combat before Turn 4 is a major pain for World Eaters, as they're designed to be in combat. It's hard at this level to make CC Terminators hit hard without transport - and the best transport is either Land Raider Phobos or some form of Deep Strike or Infiltrate - a Spartan sets you back a pretty number of points, especially if you try to fill it for this level - Alpha Legion, Night Lords or Anvillus Drop Pods work a little bit in this respect, but you're going to want either an Aegis with a Comms Relay, or a Proteus Land Raider to bring some Lascannons and ensure they get on target.

Ah. Never thought of that. That's a pretty big hole in my plan. What about outflanking veteran squads instead? The only downside to that would be having only the Contemptors on the board at the start of the game, and being vulnerable to bad reserve rolls.

Archived