Carmine Blades - Completed Blood Angels Army!

keeblerartillery

• 1 month later...

Hey guys - I have finally joined the Primaris craze. I've got to say - I love the models. They're just a blast to work with. So here is one finished model (minus the base) and a base coated Sergeant experiment; I think I'm going to do a red stripe on the helmet instead of messing with pauldrons. As always, the photos aren't the best and wash out some of the details but let me know what you guys think!

gallery_70131_10318_1817525.jpg

gallery_70131_10318_521421.jpg

Good job on the new models. The lighting effects on the plasmaguns are well done.

You are right, the painting is well executed, but the sergeant model makes me think the gun is malfunctioning. Why would the coil heat up when the sergeant is not using the weapon?

Good job on the new models. The lighting effects on the plasmaguns are well done.

You are right, the painting is well executed, but the sergeant model makes me think the gun is malfunctioning. Why would the coil heat up when the sergeant is not using the weapon?
It's charging up, made ready-to-use at any moment. The weapon wouldn't be very useful if the wielder must wait several seconds before he can squeeze the trigger, as is the case with the Spartan laser from the 'Halo' games.

Hah! I never thought about the plasma that way before...now that I am then, I'm going to equate it to having a round in the chamber of a rifle - it's ready in case you need it.

I actually airbrushed most of the model - sadly the photo washed out a lot of the shading/gradient but if you follow Luthermax, I stole the red from him, with a slight variation. And it looks almost as good as his, if I do say do myself (the airbrushed portions at least).

Thanks for the comments!

Edited by keeblerartillery

• 8 months later...

Wow, thanks!  I sure can share how I did the marble.  First, credit goes to the lil legend studio and his patreon - where I learned the technique.  You can subscribe at https://www.patreon....lillegendstudio.  I am a $15 a month subscriber and it is more than worth every penny!

On to the technique - I prime black, then spray scale 75 inktense wood over the black. Then I take a dried old baby wipe and stretch it out a little bit, to separate the fibers.  Then I wrap it around the object to be marbled and spray white over it.  I do 2 - 3 layers, and use a hair dryer in between each layer to make sure it dries completely (I do this after the primer and inktense steps as well).  Then remove the baby wipe and voila!  Instant marble.  With that nice touch of yellow from the inktense showing through.  

Alright! I have been pretty busy with my blades - better pictures and group shots to follow, but here is a dump of what I have been working on:

gallery_70131_10318_35058.jpg

gallery_70131_10318_491405.jpg

gallery_70131_10318_252167.jpg

Holy smokes! :jawdrop:

Some very good work there - I hadn't noticed this on any of Miles's work before, but I'll have to go back and look. Seriously impressive. It's probably the most realistic marble I've seen - as in it appears kind of random, but also fits to a regular pattern - like random spacing in the normally perfectly regular weave caused by the pulling apart of the baby wipe.

Edited by Xenith

On to the technique - I prime black, then spray scale 75 inktense wood over the black. Then I take a dried old baby wipe and stretch it out a little bit, to separate the fibers.  Then I wrap it around the object to be marbled and spray white over it.  I do 2 - 3 layers, and use a hair dryer in between each layer to make sure it dries completely (I do this after the primer and inktense steps as well).  Then remove the baby wipe and voila!  Instant marble.  With that nice touch of yellow from the inktense showing through.  

Damn, doesn't sound like I can re-create that with brushes.

Damn, doesn't sound like I can re-create that with brushes.

Worth a try, though!