+ Doom Slayers +

Radiation

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks brothers! Work is kind of keeping me busy at the moment.

Ariobarzanes: Yeah, an explanation was buried in an earlier post. Here you go.

Decals.

First of all I came up with the sketch and used photoshop to create a print file. I used the lasso tool and the fill to block it in and create the hard edges as a high rez raster image.

I used the Testors white decal sheets and my inkjet printer. Let that dry for a couple of hours so the ink settles and then spray it with Testors decal bonder spray and let that dry over night, otherwide the ink comes off when you put them in water.

I then cut them out and put little divits in a bunch of places on the edges so they would wrap around the model without creasing. I applied them with water and then microsol solution to soften them. Let em dry completely so the edges shrink down on the surface. Put ardcoat over them especially around the edges to fill the gap as much as I could.

I used macragge blue and fenris grey and just kind of colored them in to blend the ink to the rest of the model. Kind of like a stencil or tiny coloring book, but the hard edges are the decal. Lots of cussing.

• 3 months later...

Hopefully this is the start of round two for this thread. Couple of assault marines to add to the ranks of the Doom Slayers Chapter. No real backstory to these guys, other then they are pretty mean and vicious killers. Gotta love the different colors of ebay forgeworld bits.

Really at this point I have a ton of kits, everything I actually need to make an army, so my goal is to just start kitbashing and make marines.

Doom Slayers Assault Marine WIP

gallery_65363_7458_11600.jpg

Doom Slayers Assault Marine WIP

gallery_65363_7458_119131.jpg

• 2 years later...

Back at it again. I'm working on a scout sergeant and I can't find the shotgun arm from the scout bike squad anywhere and I've been looking for it all week. If you have one and are willing to part with it, send me a PM or put it on ebay! Or if you know a good bit shop and see one out there let me know! Buying, selling and trading is not allowed on the B&C so that's not my intent. I might put an ad over on dakkadakka in the swap shop. I just can't believe it doesn't exist anymore. Hopefully I'll have some more WIP updates in the next month. Thanks!

gallery_65363_7458_6904.jpg

VanguardVeteran: 3 years! I can't believe it. My life keeps leaping ahead at an accelerated pace despite my brain's protests. All of a sudden I'm three years older and I have no idea how it happened. Time the great destroyer.

So I participated in the Liber Event: Heralds of the Liber. The rules were simple and the event was really fun. All we had to do was present a photo of one of our models and write a paragraph for it. And the model had to be from a DIY Chapter. I used the photo of the Assault Marine with the the chained weapons from earlier in this WIP and set about making up a back story for him. Like I said it was a lot of fun. I did some research and put some ideas together and ended up with a cool character study. And now that the event is over I decided to give old Ceryx an update to make his model fit his story a little better and be more in line with how I envision the Doom Slayers as using a variety of armor Marks. I think using the older Marks of armor matches the tone of his story better then the first model and the Mk II helm has that wonderful grimace to it that fits well with Cyrex's character. So here is a revised version of Ceryx and his backstory that I wrote for the Liber.

Ceryx 'The Herald'
Doom Slayers Assault Marine
Ceryx 'The Herald' was a devout follower of the Doom Slayers Mysteries Cult. The Chapter Reclusiarchs gifted Ceryx with the Sacred Chained Gauntlets of Zeal and assigned him to an assault squad that befit his holy rage on the battlefield. His constant bellowing of the Catechisms of Hate could be heard on the field of war over the roar of chainsword and blast of bolt pistol while he annihilated his foes. When not on the battlefield Ceryx maintained a constant state of prayer at one of the Chapter's many shrines and chapels. Draped in the black hooded robes of the Chapter, the flesh of his hands forever covered in the holy chained iron gloves of his power armor, Ceryx made a vow long ago to never put down his weapons while there remained enemies of the Emperor of Mankind still left to be slaughtered. With weapons always in his iron grip, in the dark silence of Ceryx's pilgrimage the murmur of his chanting accompanied the rattle of his Sacred Chains. While Ceryx maintained these solitary vigils a slight and putrid smell emanated from his words filling the chamber with the odor of corrosive acid and burning flesh. Ceryx suffered from one of his Astarte implants, an overactive Betcher's Gland that caused an abundance of acidic spittle to collect at the corners of his mouth and to run over his lips and down his chin creating a festering wound of the flesh and scarring much of his lower face and neck. Because of all this Ceryx 'The Herald' was considered a zealot by many of his Doom Slayers Battle-Brothers of lesser faith.
gallery_65363_7458_388539.jpg

Here is the link to the Liber Event: Heralds of the Liber. Everybody's entries were great. It was fun to read them especially because they were all from DIY Chapters!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/344930-liber-event-heralds-of-the-liber/

Edited by Radiation

Thanks Brothers!

Here is another update. I'm working on painting some Tactical Marines, but couldn't help building this guy and writing a story for him.

+Doom Slayers+
Ikelos Hekatonkheires 'The Phobetor'
Contemptor Pattern Dreadnought
Ikelos Hekatonkheires was once a Veteran Captain of the Doom Slayers Chapter. It is not remembered what mortal wound caused Captain Ikelos to be interred within the Contemptor Pattern Dreadnought for it happened long ago. Over his years of service Captain Ikelos had suffered many such wounds and already become more machine than flesh, much of his body replaced with bionics by the Chapter's Apothecary, that he could continue to serve in duty to the Emperor of Mankind smiting the enemies of the Imperium. Finally Ikelos' remaining flesh failed, interred to serve over the millennia from within his icy tomb. As the centuries upon centuries passed Ikelos grew more and more restless. When not on the field of battle with his younger Brothers, Ikelos began to dream where before his rest had only been the dark. While the remains of Ikelos' body slumbered within his armored sarcophagus, it was said that Ikelos' ghost haunted the Doom Slayers Chapter.
Although he had never exhibited any psychic powers on the battlefield, at some point in time while he slept and dreamed, Ikelos began to manifest what remained of his corpse as a grotesque shade. In the depths of space the spectre of Ikelos' war ravaged flesh and bones haunted the dark corridors of the ships that made up the Doom Slayers fleet. Many a human serf had to be mercifully put down, being driven to madness after such encounters, screaming of the horrors of war they had witnessed in terrible visions brought on by the macabre ghost they called, 'The Phobetor.' For the Battle-Brothers of the Doom Slayers Chapter who had such encounters with this phantom, all they would grimly report was that Ikelos was ready for battle once more.
In battle Ikelos wielded a Kheres Assault Cannon inscribed with the name 'Nyx' and the massive Perdition Claw, both ancient and holy weapons of annihilation. His destructive power to smash and sunder his enemies was legendary. All within the Chapter held wide respect for Ikelos despite the whispered stories of his ghastly apparition. Always at the front of the attack, striking at the jugular of the conflict, Ikelos was known to have the uncanny ability to shield his younger Battle-Brothers from any unexpected threats as if he had already foreseen certain events from within a dark dream.

gallery_65363_7458_381228.jpg

Ikelos' backstory is well-written, but you should include details on how the Chapter's Librarians must regularly commune with his spirit and calm him (while scanning his mind for signs of Chaos-taint), to assure the Chapter's leaders (and readers of this thread) the Probetor is not a Daemon, nor has one possessed the interred Marine

Ikelos' backstory is well-written, but you should include details on how the Chapter's Librarians must regularly commune with his spirit and calm him (while scanning his mind for signs of Chaos-taint), to assure the Chapter's leaders (and readers of this thread) the Probetor is not a Daemon, nor has one possessed the interred Marine

Bjorn Firewalker: I agree with you there's something about Ikelos that is cause for concern. While writing his story I was aware of how it could look that Ikelos had signs of Chaos corruption, and yet there is the idea other factors of Ikelos' character outweighed those doubts the Brothers of the Doom Slayers Chapter might have. The Librarium had known about Ikelos' connection to 'The Phobetor' for centuries as well as Ikelos' precognitive dreams. But there were an overwhelming number of causes for concern within the Chapter, and this was just another to be buried in the long list. The fact remains that Ikelos was an asset in the field of war and so the Doom Slayer command structure, including the Librarians of the Chapter, sanctioned Ikelos' continued service. As to any assurances or psychic screenings related to Ikelos, they were lacking if present. The Chapter was spread too thin occupied by constant warfare for any single Brother to worry to much about it. The lives and minds of the Chapter serfs that met with misfortune seemed little to pay in comparison to having such a destructive and glorious hero as Ikelos within the ranks of the Doom Slayers Chapter. Veteran Captain Ikelos was ancient and had always been seen with awe and respect by his younger Battle-Brothers. Whether this is right or wrong to outsiders of the Chapter makes no difference. The Doom Slayers care little for what others may think preferring to settle any conflicts in battle.

Thanks for reading the story Brothers! Your comments are always appreciated. It's fun to go further into the Doom Slayers mythos, to question their beliefs and assumptions. They are a dark and shadowy Chapter.
Edited by Radiation

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on my Scout Squad and finished building all of them except for the Sergeant who still doesn't have a shotgun arm yet! That bit just doesn't exist anymore. I still have to do some green stuff work on him and get that arm so I can finish him up. I want to paint this squad for the ETL. I still have a Tactical Squad to finish that I'll be working on in the mean time.

+ DOOM SLAYERS +

gallery_65363_7458_428299.jpg

Doom Slayers 10th Company Scout Squad 'The Knives'
Before their induction into the Doom Slayers Chapter Scout Company, 'The Knives' were a notorious child gang of thieving, murdering scalp collectors that had been terrorizing the Underhive slums of Hive City Mega on the planet Chiron for just under a year. Despite his youth, the eldest of the gang and their leader, Johan, led the gang of boys with cunning and savagery showing no mercy for the victims of the gang's many crimes. The Knives quickly made a name for themselves as a stick up gang, raiding commercial transportation hubs of the Lowerhive and scalping their victims in the process. The Knives brutal rise to infamy took place to the backdrop of a minor Ork invasion of planet Chiron. A fractured Ork force, believed to have been at one time part of a larger Ork invasion, had translated from warpspace and made planetfall on Chiron. The Orks overran Hive City Mega and distress signals were sent requesting reinforcements. Johan in his youth saw a golden opportunity to use the crisis for further gains and amidst the confusion The Knives made their way into the Upperhive to thieve, murder and scalp Hive City Mega's more important citizen.
Life can hit you fast, and it was during a big heist outside of Hive City Mega Bank that The Knives would be forever transformed and the bloody tale of their infamy on the planet of Chiron would become the shadowy story of their origin. After looting the bank vault and collecting their victims' scalps, The Knives made their escape just as a series of large explosions shook the streets outside the bank. Johan, still clutching his dufflebag of loot surrounded by his Knives looked around him eyes watering, struggling to see through the clouds of thick black smoke. To their left ranks of Chiron's Planetary Defense Force and one of the off world Imperial Guard regiments that had been sent as reinforcements had setup a defensive position, guns pointed down the street. All was quiet. The troops paid no attention to the ragged scalp covered youth standing on the high steps of the bank's entrance.
A thousand animal screams blasted into the black smoke, the first of them to break through the dark, brutish green aped scowls smeared with rows of teeth and glowing red eyes. Their lumbering oafish gait betrayed the power and speed with which they moved. A thousand alien swine smeared in palettes of brightly colored warpaint, striped and checkered, primitive symbols of their foul culture represented as cruel images of crooked moons, devilish suns, horned skulls and crossbones, and slithering vermin of all kinds. Half naked beasts bedecked in spiked metal plates splashed with paint they had begun to adorn themselves in the pillaged uniforms and costumes, skins and severed appendages of the slaughtered citizens and soldiers of Hive City Mega. Through the black smoke, the Greenskin's charge was illuminated by the flashing las-fire of the remaining human regiments.
This was not the first time The Knives had run into Orks during the invasion. When not commiting acts of crime and brutality agains the citizens of Hive City Mega, the boys of The Knives hunted the smaller Ork war parties for sport and to claim some of the more outlandish loot that the Orks had a nack for acquiring. In their rising notoriety The Knives had begun to dress in the regal society clothes of their more important victims in a similiar outlandish manner to the Greenskins. Johan made the order to skirmish the flanks of the Ork charge and with weapons already drawn The Knives eagerly lept into combat.
It was later in the battle when The Knives found themselves drawn further into the alien horde with few options for retreat. Their youth had finally gotten the better of them and The Knives all would have died savage horrible deaths by the Ork invaders, and lost all their ill-gotten gains, had not a force of Doom Slayers Space Marines answered Hive City Mega's distress call. The Marines towering like giants in Blue and Black power armor adorned with winged skull and lightning bolt, their helmet lenses burning a red so dark with righteous contempt, formed a phalanx around the bloodied youth. After making short work of the Ork forces within the immediate vicinity the Marines turned their undivided attention upon the savage gang of children now caught within their ranks. The dozen or so boys, a band of wildlings dressed in their outlandish costumes of looted Imperial gear adorned in human and alien scalps. They stood covered in alien blood weapons still at ready expressions now drawn of curious fear and awe. The Marines' helmets clicked repeatedly as the Doom Slayers laughed in jest to each other over closed channels. They had found the future of their Chapter.
Through the actions of the orginal gang members that survived the Space Marine recruitment process, The Knives grew in time to become a great Warrior Cult within the Doom Slayers Chapter structure. Johan was eventually promoted to Sergeant of the 10th Scout Company having passed through the ranks of the elite 1st Company. He had made a name for himself within the Chapter for his ability to lead in battle, a trait that had stuck with him since his angry youth, and also with age and experience, to teach. Sergeant Johan 'The Knife' was regarded as a mentor to the youthful new recruits of the 10th, and The Knives Warrior Cult continued to grow within the Doom Slayers Chapter amongst the newer generations.
Edited by Radiation

• 3 months later...

+ DOOM SLAYERS +

Adeptus Astartes

tn_gallery_65363_7458_154.jpg

Space Marines

Like a great shadow they lost themselves into the fog of war. To fight and battle as they were made. Archaic relics of a time soon forgotten. Adeptus Astartes. For the Emperor!

Chapter Master Odysseus Cerberus WIP.

gallery_65363_7458_69647.jpg

Doom Slayers Tactical Space Marine

gallery_65363_7458_600453.jpg

gallery_65363_7458_622561.jpg

gallery_65363_7458_481331.jpg

Edited by Radiation

• 2 years later...

+ DOOM SLAYERS +

Adeptus Astartes

tn_gallery_65363_7458_154.jpg

Space Marines

The Doom Slayers return from the void, rumors of the Chapters destruction appear to be untrue. The ruthless Odysseus Cerberus, Master of the Chapter, continues his relentless onslaught across the outer edges of the galaxy waging war against the enemies of the Emperor of Mankind.

Doom Slayers Chapter Master Odysseus Cerberus WIP

gallery_65363_7458_705787.jpg

Doom Slayers Tactical Marines WIP

gallery_65363_7458_172897.jpg

Doom Slayers Assault Squad Sergeant WIP

gallery_65363_7458_419192.jpg

It's been a while. My progress continues slowing with time. Thanks for looking!

+ There is only war +