+ Doom Slayers +

Radiation

Thanks for the comments brothers, always happy to hear from people.

noigrim: yeah, I started this project a long time ago back when he was still Doomguy. My first copyright publication is here back in 2015 a year before the green one swiped it from me. After the initial shock of that happening, I have to admit I had some extra fun when I played DOOM and the game kept calling me that. 

Edited by Radiation

A couple more Doom Slayers Tactical Marines I've been working on. Base coated, washed and highlighted. I want to post these guys now in case I get distracted for another couple years. I do hope to finish this army before I kick the bucket. I think I want to get a few squads up to this standard before moving on to the finishing stage of basing and painting all the details and iconography and battle damage and weathering. Break it up in chunks.

And a Sergeant I swiped from a White Dwarf Blood Angel I saw back when they released that range. I removed the blood drops and replaced them with tiny little skulls, one in the chest shrine and one on the wing on the greave. I still need to green stuff the lightning bolt to the skull and wing to complete the Chapter Badge relief. I haven't figured out what I want to do with the Sergeant helmets yet. I can go straight Codex with it and paint them red and then paint the Chapter Badge skull red for a nice tie in to the Ultramarines. The other option I was thinking of for less red was keeping the blue helmet and skull and using a red and yellow stripe like the old Rogue Trader markings (although I guess their doing something similar with Primaris. I don't really follow the Primaris line so I don't know the details. My boxes full of Astartes are good enough for me). I'm leaning more towards the stripes, but maybe I can use both ideas for different Sergeants to show that there are different traditions in the Chapter. Yeah I kind of like that idea. Different squads would have developed different initiation rituals over the millennia. Some squads would use the codex style and other would use the older Rogue Trader style never having adopted the red helmet thing from Calth. Maybe some of the founders of the Chapter came from Ultramarines that never adopted the new tradition after Calth. Anyways If you guys have any thought on that, let me know.

Doom Slayers Tactical Marines WIP

gallery_65363_7458_1679370.jpg

Doom Slayer Tactical Sergeant WIP

gallery_65363_7458_1114127.jpg

Thanks for looking!

+ + + Doom and Contempt + + +

• 4 weeks later...

+ DOOM SLAYERS +

More work on the Sergeant. I went with the Codex helmet because, well, it is a nice design. I will probably stick with codex rank markings moving forward. I still need to update my decal file and print some Chapter Badge decals with little red skulls on them, so I used a normal shoulder pad for a place holder. My printer is currently in storage but I think the red skull will look pretty good when I get there. I was also thinking about painting the Sergeants right shoulder pad red with white squad markings. Vet Sergeants would be red with a white strip and red marking in the white field. So I will get to trying that soon too. Right now I am sticking to doing things in fazes (bascoat, wash, highlights), so all the markings will be last before the weathering.

I don't have much of a back story for him yet or a name, although he has earned the guardianship of a very old suit of armor he is the newest and youngest of the Vet ranks within the Chapter. He is one of the rising stars of the Chapter, and among the younger marines it is believed to be only a matter of time before he becomes the next Doom Slayers Champion.

Doom Slayers Veteran Assault Sergeant

gallery_65363_7458_1672635.jpg

gallery_65363_7458_941753.jpg

gallery_65363_7458_537064.jpg

I have a new phone that shoots brighter then my last one so I messed with my lighting setup a little bit. The blues in my last couple of posts didn't look quit right and the whites and highlights were washing out. Minor details, but these shots are probably the truest to the level of my current painting style and how it actually looks like to my own eyes.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Radiation

• 2 months later...

+ DOOM SLAYERS +

Death Company

Updated the Death Company Bruiser. As usual, it has been awhile so a review of the fluff so far.

The Doom Slayers Death Company is one of the many warrior cults within the Doom Slayers Chapter ranks. They are a single assault squad within the First Company command structure and made of the most brutal fighters the chapter has to offer. The right shoulder pad is a black field with a white skull. On the skull is the crossed arrows for assault squad designation.

Through their arcane studies the Apothecary have found that the chapters preomnor organ, the neutralizer, is no longer functioning as it should and that the Doom Slayers have a weaker tolerance to poison. A beneficial side affect to this is that powerful narcotics and stimulants, such as frenzon and a variety of other combat-drugs have a more potent effect on the chapter brothers.

The brothers of the death company use a highly effective though damaging combination of combat-drugs, even for marine physiology, formulated by the chapter apothecary to increase combat awareness and pain thresholds beyond that of their normal battle-brothers. Because of this the marines of the Death Company are watched closely by the Apothecary for signs of inevitable physical deterioration since the drugs that fuel them in combat are too powerful even for the already superhuman marines. Despite the best research the Apothecary has to offer, this physical deterioration caused by the drugs is an eventual death sentence in itself.

Another side effect of the combat-drugs used by the Death Company is a unique psychosis not seen anywhere else within the chapter. The marines of the Death Company that do not succumb to death from battlefield wounds or the drugs deteriorating physical effects become more and more violent and zealous for combat over time. This psychosis is another symptom the Apothecary has no answers for, and so the Chapter Reclusiarchs have stepped into fill the void. Through the guidance of the Chaplaincy, by use of the catechism of hate, the Doom Company's psychosis can be controlled for a time until it can be redirected on the field of battle.

With the care and guidance of the Apothecary and Reclusiarchs, the Death Company warrior cult holds a place of pride and honor within the Doom Slayers Chapter. They are regarded as the most fierce warriors that the Chapter has to offer and the sacrifices made in battle are legends within the Chapter.

Doom Slayers Death Company Space Marine WIP

gallery_65363_7458_1064036.jpg

I swapped out some old part for new FW pieces. He's got a new FW mk4 assault torso and cool chainsword to replace the bolter from the original model. The helmet is from a metal Legion of the Damned model and has a skull face plate. I will paint that silver to go along with the skeleton foot. He will also have the black and white right shoulder pad that signifies induction into the Doom Slayers Death Company. I don't like the stripes on the fist so I will have to repaint (ugh!). The black stripes turned out to thin. I painted the fist a long time ago and have gotten better at the stripes since then, so the repaint should be better when I get to it. And I gave him the old school jump pack for the even more aggressive look. This guy really wants to hit stuff.

Thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

+ DOOM SLAYERS +

gallery_65363_7458_154.jpg

Couple more WIPs. This time two Tacticals with a mixture of older armor parts. They are base-coated, washed and have the blue midtones. The next stage will be the blue highlights and details, then the decals. I still need to make a Chapter Badge decal that fits the older mark shoulder pads. I'm building a new desk this month so once that's done I should be able to get my printer setup. I'm getting better with the new camera. These shots are very true to my own eyes, how the models look to me IRL. The long war continues.

Doom Slayers Tactical Space Marine WIP

gallery_65363_7458_613843.jpg

Doom Slayers Tactical Space Marine WIP

gallery_65363_7458_622736.jpg

Thanks for looking!

There is only war.