Word Bearers: Update: Deamon Prince's Base

Héléade

This is a very good question. At the beginning I wanted something special on the Armor. I tried several times to design demon face, or runes etc. However I realized that my attention was focused one the Armor which is a problem. In my opinion, attention should be focused on the face.

So I try to find something cool but notre too cool. Ahah. If you get ideas, please share with me.

In fact, I m pretty proud of this model. It is so far from my first picture published on bolterandchainsword 3 years ago.

Soon as I finished the last marine offre my Squad, I will publish pictures. With the current chaos models it was a challenge to build up a very customed tram with souls inside.

A daemonic face would look cool, but I do get your point about drawing the focus away from the character himself, perhaps just a line of glowing runes? What are your plans for the banner, adding a motif or keeping it simple too?

You definitely should be proud! That's one of the best things about this site and the hobby in general, being able to look back to where you were 'x' amount of time ago and to see the difference. The community on here is brilliant for helping with that too, as there's always someone giving tips and tricks to bring your work up a level.

About a line if glowing runes, I already want glowing eyes to show the powers of Warp. I will find.

About the banner I don't know, probably a freehand about Calth. As you probably know it is a famous Word Bearers strike against Ultramarines' Legion during Horus' Heresy. Sons of Colchis were great and full of Glory. These blue arrogant loyalists were so surprised. According to the Lexicanum we killed almost 120 000 loyalist brethren. So something about Calth and some heretic texts.

Community is vert supportive and it is great, I totaly agree with you.

Hmm, I'm unsure whether leaving it blank would squander such an opportunity that the blank space provides. Perhaps keeping it simple yet fitting for the Word Bearers by adding parchments and oaths of moment/(im)purity seals could be an option?

Banner plans sound good, the Word Bearers certainly have a wealth of imagery to gather from - celestial charts, Colchisian runes, daemonic visages, etc. The funny thing about Calth, is that the initial stages were excellently planned and executed impeccably, a truly devastating blow to the Ultramarines. Yet after that, the XVIIth seemed to lose all tactical sense and ended up losing their major advantages and men. Seemed really incompetent really (and I say this as someone considering them for my next project).

Brother Pearson73, thank for your wise advisory. I think I will add a of seal of chaos' purity. As you said Sons of Colchis have a wealth imagery.

About Calth I agree with you but we have to consider several other arguments:

First, the Ultramarines are the favorite chapter of Games Workshop, even their name means "very marines". Their imagery is very imperial, very roman with laurel wreaths and togas. Their logo is the greek letter Omega which is the last later of greek alphabet. Ok it's meta gaming and speculative but Imperium has to survive if GW wants to sell models.

So the next argument is the Ultramarines losses are twice superior to Word Bearers in Astartes according to http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Calth. 120 000 Ultra died against ~ 50 000 Word bearers died, I count only Astartes because the rest is very expendable. An Astartes is an expensive warrior in genetic stuff, weapon and with a long training. Of course this not a total victory because Ultramarines and Guilliman are alive but the first objective was to avoid that Ultramarines go to Terra.

According the Lexicanum another argument is

At some point during or after the Battle of Calth Argel Tal would remark to Khârn that there was another purpose to Calth. Lorgar and Argel Tal chose each Word Bearer that was sent to Calth based on their competence, specifically those who allowed their hatred of the Ultramarines to cloud their judgements and became unreliable. They were judged to be expendable to the Legion and sent on a mission it was expected very few, if any, would return from. Thus Calth served as a third purge for the ranks of the Word Bearers, removing those that were loyal but incompetent and ultimately a detriment to the Legion.

Least but not last Word Bearers are not the best Astartes to fight. May be the worst but they are true belivers. It is why Emperor send Ultramarines to punish them on Monarchia. But fate (or True Gods?) is ironic with the rotting corpse in a golden throne because mankind considers him as a God now, exactly like Word Bearers 10 000 years ago.

Of course, I am not an expert on my proper legion, I just read some books. If you have more information, please share with me.

I just finished my close combat/running squad. You already know the Leader since a while (on the top left).

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/49/1/1543873615-squad2.jpg

I don't know what special weapons to choose for this squad. Probably plasmas or flamethrowers to burn some loyalists. I know, no Father should have favorite son, but even the False Emperor had. So, my favorites in this squad are:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/49/1/1543873615-squad2-best-ones.jpg

The first one looks like very horny and the last one try to catch a poor victim. As you can see I tried to give them a dynamic posture and unique chainsword. Sometimes chainswords have a two hands handle.

Finally allow me to introduce my last aspiring champion. I am not a big fan of Nurgle but I did a conversion, I have to clog some holes on the armor with milliput. I removed a fat and sickly belly with a loincloth. I replaced the blade, the head and the model has a combi bolter/plasma gun.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/49/1/1543873615-chaos-squad-leader-3.jpg

I wanted a veteran of the Long War, who saw hundreds of battles. His armor looks like a MK III which is pretty good.

Edited by Héléade

Finally allow me to introduce my last aspiring champion. I am not a big fan of Nurgle but I did a conversion, I have to clog some holes on the armor with milliput. I removed a fat and sickly belly with a loincloth. I replaced the blade, the head and the model has a combi bolter/plasma gun.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/49/1/1543873615-chaos-squad-leader-3.jpg

Love the new guy, only complaint is this:

You made him have a Combi-bolter without anywhere for the bolter shells to exit :lol:

Lower the Plasma Gun part slightly, then put a piece of tubing above it. That little thing sticking out above it is way too small to be the bolter's barrel

Love the new guy, only complaint is this:

You made him have a Combi-bolter without anywhere for the bolter shells to exit :laugh.:

Lower the Plasma Gun part slightly, then put a piece of tubing above it. That little thing sticking out above it is way too small to be the bolter's barrel

Ahahaha I was unable to find what was wrong with that gun. :facepalm: Thank you Gederas ! :D

The new assault marines look cracking, the two-handed blades especially.

Brother Pearson73, thank for your wise advisory. I think I will add a of seal of chaos' purity. As you said Sons of Colchis have a wealth imagery.

About Calth I agree with you but we have to consider several other arguments:

First, the Ultramarines are the favorite chapter of Games Workshop, even their name means "very marines". Their imagery is very imperial, very roman with laurel wreaths and togas. Their logo is the greek letter Omega which is the last later of greek alphabet. Ok it's meta gaming and speculative but Imperium has to survive if GW wants to sell models.

So the next argument is the Ultramarines losses are twice superior to Word Bearers in Astartes according to http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Calth. 120 000 Ultra died against ~ 50 000 Word bearers died, I count only Astartes because the rest is very expendable. An Astartes is an expensive warrior in genetic stuff, weapon and with a long training. Of course this not a total victory because Ultramarines and Guilliman are alive but the first objective was to avoid that Ultramarines go to Terra.

According the Lexicanum another argument is

At some point during or after the Battle of Calth Argel Tal would remark to Khârn that there was another purpose to Calth. Lorgar and Argel Tal chose each Word Bearer that was sent to Calth based on their competence, specifically those who allowed their hatred of the Ultramarines to cloud their judgements and became unreliable. They were judged to be expendable to the Legion and sent on a mission it was expected very few, if any, would return from. Thus Calth served as a third purge for the ranks of the Word Bearers, removing those that were loyal but incompetent and ultimately a detriment to the Legion.

Least but not last Word Bearers are not the best Astartes to fight. May be the worst but they are true belivers. It is why Emperor send Ultramarines to punish them on Monarchia. But fate (or True Gods?) is ironic with the rotting corpse in a golden throne because mankind considers him as a God now, exactly like Word Bearers 10 000 years ago.

Of course, I am not an expert on my proper legion, I just read some books. If you have more information, please share with me.

I am no expert either, friend, I've read the HH series pretty much just up to Calth, though have read most of the Black Book content regarding the events on and around the planet.

Overall, you are right, to kill so many Astartes is an impressive feat, but of the XIIIth, it is doubly so. Furthermore, the Ultramarines' fleet was scattered and destroyed, which is perhaps an even more important achievement when considering the breadth of the civil war. I think perhaps the fanatic, hate-filled nature of the Word Bearers (notable even for these most righteous warriors) sent to Calth could be the reason for the seeming tactical collapse - the initial plans could be executed to the letter, but once the slaughter began, they were lost in the fire and fury of revenge for Monarchia.

Sorry Pearson73, I did not understand what you mean by "cracking"? 

It is interesting that Mankind needs 7 years to take back control of the Imperium of Men. I never saw this step in a book, I think interesting that consequences of HH are very few documented. About fantatism, I don't know. Astartes without basic strategy? I think that Calth was our own purge not to eradicate unbeliever but weak Astartes.

I believe that Calth stays a symbol of our true allegiance like Monarchia is the root of our hate. Both deserve a real place in our mythology, like Colchis, Sicarus,  colchisian scriptures, book of Lorgar, astrological runes, iconography, Gal Vorbak, pilgrimage etc. All this folklore must be developed through inconography in my army.

Just meant that they look really good! :biggrin.:

It would definitely be good to see the Scouring period explored more thoroughly, though I think we can expect this after the Siege books.

Not without strategy so much, more so that when the killing began, they were so eager to finally be able to exact their revenge, that complex battle plans were cast aside. Yes, I think the Word Bearers had purged the non-believers long before Isstvan.

I certainly agree that Calth is a key moment - For Lorgar's sons it grants them revenge for Monarchia and the chance to avenge themselves against the hated XIIIth. For the Ultramarines themselves, it was an unimaginable catastrophe with vast losses and the unveiling of the civil war; as well as dealing a huge blow to the legion's pride and image. It obviously had a significant impact on the course of the war too, with so many Astartes and ships destroyed.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Brethren,

A new squad joins us! We are happy to show you these believers! As you can see, I bought some Space Marine Booster, which are cool to add some diversity in your squad. I got Brother Garus (with 2 bolters) and Brother Remus (with the missile launcher).Models don't need heavy transformations to get a nice Chaos Space Marine. Theirs bases are great, especially for me who love the bases.

The new squad:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/50/7/1544975775-escouade-4.jpg

Focus on two CSM:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/50/7/1544975775-escouade-4-2.jpg

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/50/7/1544975775-escouade-4-3.jpg

And a last focus on the Havoc:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/50/7/1544975775-lance-patate-chaos.jpg

I tried to sculpt a baroque and demonic face on the ML. It's very strange that there is no smoke behind the RPG on the standard model. I found a old school havoc metal backpack. This model needs may be a few more chaos stuff.

• 7 months later...

Dear Brethren,

During the last months, I spent time to paint my three main squads. Slaves of Chaos known the pain is unimaginable but rewards are divines. Our Crusade always needs more troops to fight against the false Emperor.

Today, I pretty proud to show you my army core. Of course, the way is long, but my army gets up, step by step.

My first born, I removed old battle chaos warrior legs for 40K legs. Leader excepted.

1564732313-green-squad.png

Squad 2. Finally I choose a new CSM head for the champion. Not bad, not great, this head could be temporary. I am really happy about the guy on this left, with the daemonic shoulder and helmet. May be an experimentation I could reproduce.

1564732307-gold-squad.png

Squad 3. Transform the nurgle champion was a challenge. I found he is credible as universal chaos leader. I find the MK3 armor on him and his pal look antic and archaic, exactly what I seek for my army.

1564732298-blue-squad.png

To conclude some observations I made:

- Sometimes it's hard to get a CSM with a soul. I mean in a charismatic position with basic stuff, don't hesitate to buy some bitz to get YOUR army, not another random army.

- MK3 and MK4 armors are really good if you are looking for antic & archaic army. However I am not such a fan about MK3 plasma guns.

- Blue crystals on the basis are made with rice seeds. Add some leafs and you get credible alien stuff. It's not a tribute to Breaking Bad. :sweat:

- Basis are very important to personalize your army. Space marines bodies on the battlefield are good, but don't forget vegetation or even wildlife both exist in the desert. May be not on a nuked world.

To conclude the conclusion: your model (just) have to tell a story when people are looking it.

Now I have some old metal daemonettes, 30 cultists, 20 CSM, 1 Rhino, 1 demon prince and 1 dark apostle to paint. May be if I pray the dark gods, I would have my army ready next year. :huh.:

See you soon!

Dear Brethren,

New picture about my warlock based on a Stormcast. You will find a new model, a new champion wearing perhaps an icon.

1564911190-sorcier-sl.png

I hope you enjoy it. Tell me if you need more pictures friends.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Brethren,

I finally started my daemon prince's base. I wanted to share that with you. The base is still WIP however it is almost finished, I just need to add some grass and paint some details: Aquila & bullets.

I used the dead primaris from the Primaris Apothecary's box for my Daemon Prince who is Belakkor.

1566414707-1.png

1566414717-2.png

1566414715-4.png

I hope you enjoy it! Of course the base needs the model I must paint.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello Brethren !

Long time no see. Yes it's a habit now, but you know, sometimes IRL is like Warp, it swallows you. As far as I can remember, my last post was one year ago. But I come back with a new project : A Deamon Prince. Yeah, I know, I have a lot of minis on my painting production line (Obliterators).

So... I started with something I love: the base. I wanted something big with a lot  of cachet. Thus I bought the Katakros' base, because it is very expressive, it looks like a ancient palace fallen into ruins. But I also wanted express the ravages of violent battle. Like between two astartes armies.

However I wasn't totally ready for that... I mean... Slaanesh was already in the place...

210130080539645425.jpg

So I removed all the "fantasy" stuff and add somes dead marines from Abbadon's base, Haarken's base and Primaris APothecary's base. But they were not flexible enough. So I used blue stuff to copy them.

210130075448793438.jpg
210130075533170468.jpg

210130075445230092.jpg
210130075524576364.jpg
I hope you enjoy it and tell me if you have questions. Thank you for watching!

Edited by Héléade