War Hounds Legion Sicaran Complete - Pic Heavy

OzDestro

Hey there,

I posted a teaser pic over at the Age of Darkness section earlier this week, but thought I'd share my completed War Hounds Legion Sicaran with you.

I have a tonne more pics on my site, but here are a few.

Hope you like it - there's not much War Hounds stuff out there so this may be the only one... that might be a challenge biggrin.png

http://www.ozdestro.com/uploads/1/3/0/1/13014732/3378486_orig.jpg

http://www.ozdestro.com/uploads/1/3/0/1/13014732/4779975_orig.jpg

http://www.ozdestro.com/uploads/1/3/0/1/13014732/3757216_orig.jpg

http://www.ozdestro.com/uploads/1/3/0/1/13014732/3120218_orig.jpg

http://www.ozdestro.com/uploads/1/3/0/1/13014732/2797036_orig.jpg

http://www.ozdestro.com/uploads/1/3/0/1/13014732/6964107_orig.jpg

http://www.ozdestro.com/uploads/1/3/0/1/13014732/9340001_orig.jpg

http://www.ozdestro.com/uploads/1/3/0/1/13014732/9562833_orig.jpg

That is a lovely shade of blue.

Was the Sicaran a difficult kit to assemble? Did you need to do a lot of cleanup/straightening warped pieces?

To be honest it was a pain, but I think I got a bad one.

There was a lot of warping but of some thing bits which was hard to fix.

All the guns etc needed straightening, but that's pretty standard.

I also had chunks missing.

As much as I like it, I wouldn't make one again... sadly.

The blue is Mordian blue spray over white undercoat.

Then shaded with the Kantor Blue and black wash where it was needed.

Then I highlighted with the base colour, picked out rivets etc.

Glad you liked it - thanks for commenting.

Wow that is gorgeous! Great use of the war hound transfers also they blended very well.

Thanks Jeremy1391.

I must admit I did do the decals on the sponsons twice.

The decals are nice though and I used Tamiya decal softener to help them blend.

Thanks for commenting.

Excellent work! I will admit that weathering is down to personal taste, but it sure is squeeky clean to be a War Hound vehicle tongue.png

Hey Basswave!

Thanks for that.

I went for a clean look as I wanted them to look regal.

I get the World Eaters were all-but regal, but the War Hounds were well respected by the Emperor, so I assume they would have had a regal air to them.

Brutal but not feral.

I'm also not sure about this fully weathered Space Marine tanks trend.

The Marines look after all their gear and in the days of old it was said they would clean and maintain their gear with almost religious zeal.

I assume their tanks were the same.

I may add some paint chips, but not so much the built up grime and dirt.

World Eaters on the other hand I don't think cared too much.

Think their brains were otherwise busy being psychotic.

:D

Stunning!

The detail on the scroll is very impressive

How did you do the White?

Hi Cyrox.

Do you mean the white on the scroll?

I started with a bone base over white, then I washed that with Agrax Earthshade.

Once that dried It drybrushed the edges with the base and used pure Ceramite White up the top where it is bunched up.

Then I painted on the writing etc.

Then I washed it with Agrax Earthshade.

Then I added some straight Agrax Earthshade to the top where it's bunched up.

Just a bit of attention to detail and it worked out pretty well.

The white on the Sicaran itself was Ceramite White with gray paint watered down and worked into the edges.

This is then leached away with a semi wet brush.

Along the edges of the sponsons I painted it thinned down along the edges and leached it with a damp brush to thin it down and mix it in.

A bit like working with oils but with damp GW acrylics!

I did a delicate drybrush on edges with the Ceramite White or used it straight with a thin brush.

Bit of trial and error.

It's messy so I needed to go and repaint the blue around the hull to neaten it up. 

The gray on the sponsons may be a bit dark! 

Hope this helps.

Gorgeous, though it almost feels like Ultramarines 1st Company with the blue and white.  Well executed, but I'd agree that it looks threatening, but not War Hound threatening if you get my drift... maybe a shade too conformist for my personal taste.

Gorgeous, though it almost feels like Ultramarines 1st Company with the blue and white.  Well executed, but I'd agree that it looks threatening, but not War Hound threatening if you get my drift... maybe a shade too conformist for my personal taste.

Hey Exetus,

thanks for the comment.

I get your drift.

I don't know if you've seen my War Hounds, but I asked Forge World if I was going in the right direction with them and they said they were too spikey...!

Seriously!!

Look at my earlier ones and they had spikes and all, but I have been toning it down recently.

So yes, I do get your point, but it's been hard to walk this line between a fairly vanilla Legion who become the World Eaters.

I may add some weathering to the Sicaran later or dirty it up, just need to get a bit more confident.

If you've got any input on the direction or look I'd be really happy to take it on board!

I had seen them before and thought that they were largely great, but those spiky shoulder pads did seem a bit much for me.  I think that without those, they seemed pretty on-point.  Probably the only criticism I have of those is also the pristine nature of their armor.  I think that if you have Raven Guard or Blood Angels or Ultramarines or Emperors Children or Thousand Sons, you have these pretty armies who take their appearance into account or don't get bogged down in fighting (the RG with their hit-and-run tactics).  When I think of the War Hounds and the fact that they were still used as shock troops, when I look at them, in my mind's eye, I see Space Marines and equipment that show the evidence of their up-front, in-your-face nature.

The only way I can think of really doing that is by taking the honorable and regal and mucking it up.  Whether it's flecking it with blood splatter, chipping the armor or muddying the legs, I think those things all show the evidence of close-combat.  On vehicles, the chipping and blunt-force trauma of smashing into barricades and tearing through razorwire and throngs of enemy soldiers is what shows that they're brutal.

I love your paint jobs and your attention to detail is fantastic, but they seem to scream "parade" ground to me and that's the complete antithesis of how I see the War Hounds.  I know it's a personal opinion, but I think that sums up where I'm coming from.  Hope it's a little helpful.

I had seen them before and thought that they were largely great, but those spiky shoulder pads did seem a bit much for me.  I think that without those, they seemed pretty on-point.  Probably the only criticism I have of those is also the pristine nature of their armor.  I think that if you have Raven Guard or Blood Angels or Ultramarines or Emperors Children or Thousand Sons, you have these pretty armies who take their appearance into account or don't get bogged down in fighting (the RG with their hit-and-run tactics).  When I think of the War Hounds and the fact that they were still used as shock troops, when I look at them, in my mind's eye, I see Space Marines and equipment that show the evidence of their up-front, in-your-face nature.

The only way I can think of really doing that is by taking the honorable and regal and mucking it up.  Whether it's flecking it with blood splatter, chipping the armor or muddying the legs, I think those things all show the evidence of close-combat.  On vehicles, the chipping and blunt-force trauma of smashing into barricades and tearing through razorwire and throngs of enemy soldiers is what shows that they're brutal.

I love your paint jobs and your attention to detail is fantastic, but they seem to scream "parade" ground to me and that's the complete antithesis of how I see the War Hounds.  I know it's a personal opinion, but I think that sums up where I'm coming from.  Hope it's a little helpful.

Fair points, Exedus.

I will take that on board.

I might start with the dusting up the legs a bit.

I planned on my Assault guys being a bit muckier and full on (only done one of those).

The spikey shoulders are just for Veterans and not even all of those.

It was kind of a pointer of things to come.

I've tried to do that a few times actually, like he two hounds on the Contemptor almost attacking each other etc.

Thanks again - I totally see where you're coming from!

• 4 weeks later...
Hey mate, must say that's a fantastic paint job . I'm also working on loyalist xii legion but based around Macer Varren and his 12th company after the events of istvaan. Going to try to paint them to look like they're hastily painting over theyre iconography to honor the loyal warhounds that they once were. Your blog is very inspirational and I didn't even realise that FW have warhounds transfers until now lol.

Hey mate, must say that's a fantastic paint job . I'm also working on loyalist xii legion but based around Macer Varren and his 12th company after the events of istvaan. Going to try to paint them to look like they're hastily painting over theyre iconography to honor the loyal warhounds that they once were. Your blog is very inspirational and I didn't even realise that FW have warhounds transfers until now lol.

Hey Lanky27.

That sounds great!!

Looking forward to seeing them.

Have you uploaded any shots??

Cheers Ozdestro, I haven't got anything painted yet, just some bought models as I'm still researching Macer to make sure the fluff all lines up. If it's a no go then I'll just think of another way to get a loyalist world eaters army wether they were late to the party or just another ship that slipped through the nets of the traitors.

Cheers Ozdestro, I haven't got anything painted yet, just some bought models as I'm still researching Macer to make sure the fluff all lines up. If it's a no go then I'll just think of another way to get a loyalist world eaters army wether they were late to the party or just another ship that slipped through the nets of the traitors.

Not sure if this helps, man, but War Hounds and World Eaters were spread as shock troops all over the Imperium before and during the Heresy.

Granted less so during the Heresy, but it did happen.

Yours could just be attached to someone else and stay loyal - even incorporating some of the War Hounds livery back into their armour...

Just a thought!

Archived