Imperial Fists - m_r_parker's new begining...

m_r_parker

Seeing as I spent a fair bit of money at the Weekender, it must be time to start a new force whistlingW.gif

Polux was such a great miniature, and I've always wanted to do a Fist force, so Fists it will be.

The main target for this will be to create a number of models that I can switch between 30k and 40k, with a minimum of overlap between the two. Not necessarily easy, but something I'll try and accomplish.

++++ UNIT COMPOSITION ++++

All items below are subject to change, depending on my whimsy.

I'm fully aware that the below isn't legal in gaming terms, but it is what I have at the moment. As this progresses, expect this to change.

HQ.gif HQ

+++ Polux +++

+++ Command Squad +++

+++ Praetors +++

Elite.gif ELITES

+++ 10x Bretheren Templar +++

+++ 10x Terminators +++

Troops.gif TROOPS

+++ 20x MkIII Tactical Marines +++

FA.gif FAST ATTACK

HS.gif HEAVY SUPPORT

+++ 5x Heavy Support Squad with Lascannon +++

+++ 5x Heavy Support Squad with Heavy Bolter +++

++++ BASING ++++
Seeing as this is a new force I'm going to go for a consistent 32mm across all the models (with the exception of those on larger bases, obviously). ForgeWorld have said that they're retrofitting all of their models with 32mm bases, but they haven't had chance with the one's I've got, so need to source them from elsewhere. Rather than buying 10 for £3 from GW (30p each is ludicrous), anybody seen any decent online retailers that do blank ones?

For the look and feel, I'm going to try and get a consistent theme to Polux's base - tech deck, pipes, discarded weapons and ammo crates. Hopefully with the larger base I can fit more onto the base without it looking cluttered and busy.

++++ CONVERSIONS ++++

I picked up 2 packs of Wardens with the intention of splitting the pack into two dedicated functions. The torsos, helms and pads (possibly the axes, not sure yet) will be used to make a command squad in MkIV armour. This will include an Apothecary, Standard Bearer (probably from the Legion Command Squad), and a Champion (again, probably from the Legion Command Squad). There'll be a few guys left over for a number of weapon options, most of which I haven't thought of yet - probably a mixture of ranged and combat

For those that noticed the Shields haven't been used - well done! thumbsup.gif I will be using the Shields from the Wardens as Storm Shields for the Terminators. I'm going to go for 5 with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield, and the other 5 with a mix of combi-bolters, power fists and possibly a Assault Cannon. My only question at the moment is whether to go with Cataphractii or Tartaros? I love the Cataphractii and normally they're my go-to pattern of armour, but the style of the Shields in the Wardens set feels more at home on a Tartaros pattern. I might go for Tartaros for a change, but would welcome some input from the community.

I might re-purpose the Templar Bretheren as a psuedo-Veteran squad, giving them a range of equipment options. I will say I'm not a fan of the combat shields, not just on these models but in general - they're too small to be effective. I'm just annoyed that these have half the arm attached and the other half fixed into the shoulder pad pinch.gif

++++ PROGRESS ++++

This is where things go downhill unfortunately - don't expect anything for the near future. Literally I'm working away from home 5 days a week, traveling by plane, so I might have a little time at the weekends. All the units I have are still in their packaging so haven't even been washed yet, let alone anything near assembly.

Over the next week I'll be researching colour schemes (yes, I know they're yellow, but beyond that!). Stay tuned for updates.

Boy is it good to be home - had a pleasant surprise waiting for me on my doorstep this morning, ForgeWorld had shipped out the IF Command Squad that I couldn't get at the Weekender. Last night I had a resin washing session with a lot of the pieces I picked up at the Weekender, and some other bits this afternoon.

I do have to say - the quality of the IF pieces that I've got are absolutely fantastic. Not just the character models, but the simple things like shoulder pads are excellent. Comparing them with older models, like the Despoiler squads I picked up, there's a definite change in their design or production process:

• The small details on items are crisp, sharp, and incredibly fine. This feels less like the traditional physical sculpts with 3-ups, and more CAD. This is especially apparent on things like the MkIV torsos in the Phallanx Wardens and their helms, there's tiny details like the vet sergeant icon on one of the helms with is really impressive.
  • Shoulder pads are now more consistent in their thickness and shape, especially in the MkIII IF pads. Previously you got the impression that there wasn't a standard pattern when they built them, especially some of the squad specific ones (Reaver Squads - I'm looking at you), but these feel more like the plastic GW pads where you expect a comfortable fit when you assemble them.
  • One thing I'm coming around to is the Templar Bretheren, who have one of their upper arms fixed into a shoulder pad. Wasn't a fan of this at first, because there's only the Bretheren sword arms that fit with them without conversion. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense - let's face it, the ForgeWorld shoulder pads were always a little "wobbly" and ill-fitting when it came to assembly, and were always easy to break off from the arms. If ForgeWorld did this type of assembly across the board I think it could really work - upper arm and pad as one piece, lower arm and elbow as a separate piece.
  • I'm still smarting over the decision not to make the Wardens and Templars full kits - spending £220 on what are effectively 20 models is quite painful, regardless of the quality of the models. On the plus side I had found a new site that sells ForgeWorld bits, that had Mk III legs and Mk IV backpacks in stock - meaning I might not have to use the Despoliers for bits.

Construction starts next week. I'm still debating the overall squad compositions, but I'm thinking of an initial batch of 25 MkIII Marines: 19 marines with bolters, 2 Sergeants, 2x Heavy Weapons and 2x Special Weapons. This way I can swap between a 30k full Tactical squad, and 2 40k Tactical squads. I've also managed to dig up some Apothecary models (the MkII and MkIV set), but I'm still deciding how I want to model the Command squad Apothecary - either use the MkIV model out of the Apothecary set, or to use the narthecium from the set and combine it with pieces from the Wardens set. I feel the latter would keep the model in sync with the rest of the squad.

Also still looking for blank 32mm bases, because apparently GW don't sell them in stores yet. Having looked online for pre-made resin ones I'm not sure they fit with look and feel that the Polux base has, so may have to craft these by hand.

• 2 months later...

Right - time to get things rolling again, and ETL seems to be the perfect excuse / motivation.

I, m_r_parker, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete:

• 10 Veteran Tactical Marines, with Power Fist, Meltagun and Heavy Bolter, Nuncio Vox and Legion Vexilla
  • 10 Templar Brethren with Combat Shields and Solarite Gauntlet
  • 5 Tartaros Terminators with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields
  • 20 Tactical Marines with Power Fist, Nuncio Vox and Legion Vexilla

from Horus Heresy book 1 to 4, of total value 1,235 on or before August 1st, 2015. Success will bring eternal glory to the VIIth Legion and to Dorn, and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end

For the Tactical and Terminator squads I don't have built models yet, but for the Templar and Veterans I at least have them built and primed.

Veteran Tactical Squad:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/0F6921AF-7B7B-482C-935E-C7B9FA4C6E2F_zps9arlctys.jpg

Templar Brethren:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/FC4161E4-47FF-4CB0-AD09-6AFC1259B0ED_zpsyfukr9qy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update. Firstly - WIP pics (to show that I'm actually doing something more than anything productive) of the Templar Brethren:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/A703165E-9274-4377-9421-183D446F799B_zps4pmzjr9b.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/D4B3CAC5-71F7-4946-98B2-1AC9CCC7008A_zpsvcvyp3m0.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/F9791CB5-505B-45A1-8476-85CB955A6C47_zpshe6ues52.jpg

My thoughts on these are going to be relatively straightforward, and completely against the FW paint scheme. I'm going for all black armour with boltgun trims, combined with white backgrouunds on both shoulder pads and the combat shields. None of the gold sword nonsense either - regular silver based colours for my guys. I'm also looking at spot colours of green wreaths, red eye lenses, and red crosses on the torsos.
What I'm undecided about at the moment are the crosses on the combat shields and shoulder pads - do I go classic Black Templar with black, or try to indroduce some more colour in a relatively bland scheme with red?

I haven't started putting paint on anything else yet, but a rather unexpected purchase at the WHW Grand Opening has given me the new FW airbrush paint in yellow. So in a couple of weeks I will likely give them a try and see what the coverage / colour is like. Interestingly the colours come in a solid and 'clear' version, with the clear looking more like a wash or ink. Might experiement on some random marines before I commit to the ETL models.

Also building up the 5 Tartaros terminators, and hope to have them ready for priming / undercoat by the end of the week. I'l try to get a completed model pic'd before I prepare them for priming, as I try to prime and paint arms seperate to bodies - and I want to see how the Tartaros armour works with the Phallanx Warden shields.

Time for a quick building update - seeing as I now have some more bits and pieces from Forgeworld (having a dedicated ForgeWorld shop in Warhammer World could be a very expensive option...)

The first three of my Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield terminators

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/23391C9E-CA52-4F4E-84F3-DDF3CF309A1D_zpsoqdse7pb.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/DE372E55-D5A0-4E51-98E2-8EF1789E3353_zpsw4iw8fov.jpg

My problem is having the left hands hold the Storm Shields, and there being a lack of right-hands holding Thunder Hammers (or any melee weapons other than Power Fists or Lightning Claws). The ones that I have used come from the generic Terminator Special Weapons pack from ForgeWorld, but there's only one per pack. Picking them up from eBay can be problematic, as the image may be right handed but you get left handed ones (been there, done that).

More updates to follow this weekend - I'll be cracking out the airbrush and try out the new FW airbrush paints.

More progress today (which, in all honesty, is the longest period and most progress I've ever made in a painting project), and I even cracked open the airbrush for the first time.

I would get some pictures up, but the weather here is particularly rubbish - so I'll do them later.

Tried out the Forgeworld airbrush paints, and bearing in mind this is my first time with an airbrush I'll give a quick overview.

• Pots with droppers or some controlled method of pouring would be greatly appreciated. In all honesty I got more paint over the airbrush cup and the card I was using as a base, rather than into the airbrush. I've just bought myself 10 of these to transfer the paints into - LINK
  • Coverage is ok, but I did go from black to a light grey Surface Primer from Vallejo before applying the paint.
  • I've given them a couple of coats, but might need to give it one more. I'll be giving a quick once over with the Sigismund Yellow Clear as well, for some shading and (hopefully) some colour depth.
  • It's quite a different experience from painting with a brush. It's quicker to apply paint, and gives a relatively even coat, but the gains in painting time are really quashed by the prep and cleanup time.

All in all, I'd say that unless you've got a hard to create colour that Forgeworld have now just released (something like the green-grey Sons of Horus colour), don't bother with them and get a different range which are easier to use.

Ok - I've given up on the ForgeWorld Yellow airbrush paints.

The base Phallanx yellow isn't too bad, if anything it's a little too lemony, I've managed to get the below picture (apologies for the poor quality)

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/6FCE4B83-F220-4CE3-B383-379CFE61BE23_zps0yzjiydg.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/8A160BBC-BE6F-483B-959A-4AA627A65BB1_zpst5j20zdm.jpg

Given two coats, it was still quite light - almost too much for the Imperial Fists. I figured I would give it a go over with the Clear Sigismunds Yellow to try and get some shading as well as darkening the yellow a little. Now that it's dry, that was a big mistake. It's left a glossy finish and has pooled over the armour plates to leave a real shoddy effect. Part of this could be due to poor artist skill, this is my first time with an airbrush I'll admit, but as of right now they're in a bowl of Fairy Power Spray (other cleaners are available, but nothing gets paint of resin quite like Power Spray) - and I'm prepping some Tamiya flat yellow for attempt two.

Judge for yourself

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/BD8F388B-C562-4269-95D5-D6C00A8D6251_zpscfqfw7hh.jpg

If you havent looked into them, Vallejo model air has a great range of realistic colors that work very well.  Golden Yellow over dark yellow can get you some lovely effects.  following up with a very light sepia wash....  Im not a yellow expert by any means but if you have a local shop that carries the model air line they are great.  I love their metallics as well...  Hope your next run at it goes a little better.  One last tip I can give you from experience.... dont do the whole batch during your testing phase.... save you some time in the future.

Cheers

My suggestion would be to knock down the brightness with a burnt umber oil wash. A glaze of Lamenters yellow would help to enrich the colors as well.

Don't give up on the new paints just yet! Phalanx Yellow is there for a good base to work off of, not the final product. 

Cracked open the Tamiya flat yellow yesterday, and is much better than the ForgeWorld range I have to admit. Still suffers from the bottle not having a easy pour / dropper system, but honestly feels a lot better.

• When you open it you can smell something like alcohol or acetone in the paint - disturbing at first, but I'm guessing this must be making it easier to airbrush with.
  • Requires very little thinning to get to a good consistency.
  • Good coverage - you can get it nice and thin without it going washy.
  • Good shade of yellow, not too bright and lemony.

Considering this is only the first couple of days with an airbrush, definitely impressive and the way forward I will be going.

Started to basecoat the veterans (with some scrubbing of the other paint) and the Tartaros Terminators. It's better to see on the Tartaros as they were painted fresh. Given that this is 2 coats of Tamiya flat yellow, a quick Lamentors Yellow glaze (not too heavy mind), and a yellow was in the recesses it's looking pretty good for a base.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/62085FBD-98E2-4E12-846E-1037D05D7711_zpsybx46jnv.jpg

Tartaros looks good mr Parker. Sorry bout your luck so far with the FW paints. Keep practicing with them as it took me a few days of just messing around before I started to get a handle on mixes and air pressure.

Also, I'd recommend doing a zenithal white primer highlight to complement your black and grey undercoats- makes a world of difference when airbrushing

Some good news on arriving home from work - Sigismund was waiting on my doorstep, so had to tear the box open (not literally, but I was very eager with a sharp blade..) and get some pics of the contents.

The contents are simple enough, and as you would expect; single piece body of torso and legs, seperate head and arms, a couple of 'bling' pieces and some terrain for a base. No different head option or helmeted version though. Here are the breakdown of the components:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/1DF71F86-6C26-4CA9-99B9-CDA8BFC9883F_zps1pr8f1kq.jpg

Seeing as I had him out, I thought I'd go for a couple of different head options. I did get a IF Command helm specificaly for this, but also tried a regular Templar Brethren helm, and the two different bare head options from the Templar and Warden sets. I think the Templar helm and bare head options work best with the design and the stance - but gives you guys some options when you think about your own.

Command Helm:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/D6DD9818-8419-49B7-A125-C499F54D4DE6_zpsd0mn7dvd.jpg

Templar Helm:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/721726DE-9184-4C1B-A3DF-EBC69D2D4EC6_zpsjod6gham.jpg

Templar Bare Helm:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/CA281FAE-57E0-4AFA-AB7D-512EB006C695_zpsqa67gawq.jpg

Warden Bare Head:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Imperial%20Fist%20Plog/A70E3F8D-61D3-4144-8913-750AC8D710B1_zpsk0tc1qin.jpg

I personally like the Templar helm. You t has a Raptoresque look to it, which matches his greaves. You could even add some filigree to give it a more personal "I can kill a Primarch" touch. Good to see you're doing 30K.

The IF Command helm, for sure.

So far, I've heard mixed results with the Airbrush paints, and this is the first I've heard about the yellows. Kinda leaving me with a sour taste.

Second helmet (Templar) looks the best in my eyes.  Just dislike the pose / proportions of the rest of the model :)  I look forward to your end result, especially if it changes my mind!

For my airbrush, just in case the info helps, I've just started using the Vallejo grey primer, awesome stuff.  I run it almost neat - for every 10 drops I add in 2-3 Vallejo Flow Improver, covers very easily, smoothly and thinly, only pooling up if you let it.  As for paint coverage beyond that, I'm just working with white base coat so it's straight up model colour Vallejo White sprayed on (vallejo thinners/flow improver in small doses).

Personally I think the Phalanx Warder head is too large for a standard marine, but it scales nicely with the slight increase in size some of the Character Series miniatures seem to possess and actually looks great on Siggy. I also prefer the Templar helm to the command one (which I am somewhat surprised about) though I'd be tempted to try him with one of the Imperial Fist MKIII helms.

I'm still not sure if I like the MKII style legs or not, they look great when painted but the bare resin looks a little bit off.

Thank you for the pictures and head alternatives! IF Command helm for sure! looks ace!

Quite unhappy with Sigi's legs though... and even more unhappy now to see that Torso-legs is a single piece...

heavy conversion will be required.

And WTH Forge World... Sigi withj no helmet option!!! furious.gif

Archived